Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Harding's Super Trooper "Laser Submachine Gun" WIP

• 24 Replies
Harding's Super Trooper "Laser Submachine Gun" WIP
« on: Nov 09, 2014, 09:01 PM »
So I bought a Uzi airsoft gun from the Bass Pro Shop and began modding it into my Supertrooper blaster!

This is the Uzi fresh out of the package

This is what I hope to achieve

This is what I have done on the stock

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any input!

Vinthiz

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Harding's Super Trooper "Laser Submachine Gun" WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:43 PM »
hi Vod, I must say I am glad to see someone building this, I love this blaster! Your stock is looking good so far, however if you want it accurate to the prop actually made you should rotate the graflex so the "bunny ears" are pointing up (in line with the rear sight) instead of what is in that reference photo. That is my two credits anyhow, but it is your build and you are off to a great start  ;D

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the info I thought I read that it got twisted at somepoint so it's good to hear it from someone else! Hopefully I'll have more progress pics up tomorrow :P

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm working on a couple o these. I've loved this blaster for years. If you watch the "walkaround" video of the costume being demo'ed for Lucas, you'll see the correct orientation of the barrel. I'm not sure why Steve's never twisted it back to true.

What are you using for your other parts?

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 11:48 PM »
Small update pics on OP

And for the most part im just using foam pvc board to make/close off everything. Thats what all the white is you see in the pics. I still need to figure out how to make the "pen" for inside the left side piece. The red piece on the grip was sculpted from clay. The barrel will be made from pvc pipe. And all the small barrel components and little detail pieces on the right side i still need to figure out.

Peregrinus

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:03 AM »
Want some leads? ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:34 AM »
Go over  to the Dented Helmet and look up Mojo-Fett and send him a PM asking about the Supertrooper blaster pats kit. He's sold them on eBay before, but doesn't have any up now. The insert on the muzzle is one version of Mitchell turntable swingarm base. The tip on the left-side piece is a pivot base from the same source. His set has both, precision recreated. The ribbed insert is the handle of a Paterson photographic chemical stirrer. Here's a handy link. The stirry bit is used for one of the shin tools. And the bulky frame thing surrounding it on the blaster is a German-made drafting pen holder. Here's a pic:

Conveniently, I have a few still from the set I got... ;) Let me know if you want one.

The barrel is an annoyingly hard to find version of 3-cell Graflex flash handle. Similar to the one used for Luke's lightsaber, but has some distinctive tells. If you know anyone who makes replica lightsaber parts, that's your best bet to get the tube (cut right) , clamp, holes, pins, etc. I used a 1-3/8" brass sink drain extension tube from Ace Hardware for my mockup, and that's the outer diameter you should go for if you scratch-build. Here's a link to one -- about 60% of the way down the page. Double threaded extension tube.

The plant-on bit on the right side is a thin stainless steel bit with marking tape and such. That's fairly easy to scratch build.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Vinthiz

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:07 PM »
I also found something that may help you with your build, for the graflex barrel part I found this template ( http://www.tk560.com/jegner/Graflex-replica.pdf ) since I am planing to build one of these too in the future haha. the actual template is on page 25.

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Peregrinus

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Yep. That's the template I used. But! It was originally drafted on the assumption that a Graflex handle was an inch and a half in diameter, when it's actually an inch and three-eights. MPPs and Heilands are an inch and a half. It's only an eighth of an inch, but while that might be negligible for making a lightsaber replica, it's surprisingly essential to fix for this blaster. If the tube is the right size, it fits the front face of the Uzi perfectly. If it's an eighth of an inch too big, it overhangs and looks visibly off. When you get it printed to the size indicated by he template, reduce it to 91% to get the right size.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Vhett Naast

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I'm following this build  8)  I actually picked up that same air-soft Uzi last year with the intentions of doing a causal supertrooper mod to it.  I haven't gotten around to it, but I still plan to.  At least I can watch your build.  ;)

Peregrinus

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:50 PM »
Same advice/leads I gave him, my friend. :) Mojo makes the fiddly bits, the Paterson stirrer is easily get-able, and I have some extra Sec-O-Mat pen holders. If you can sort out the Graflex issue, the rest is cake.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:27 PM »
OH. MY. GOD.

So much knowledge! Thank you guys so much!! You have no idea how much this helps!

Just picked up one of the stirrers lol

And Peregrinus I am going to PM you!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Mockup look at the Laser Submachine Gun!!

Let me know what you think!!

Vhett Naast

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Looking pretty good  8)  I'm taking notes for when I get around to mine.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!