Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Harding's Super Trooper "Laser Submachine Gun" WIP

• 24 Replies
Harding's Super Trooper "Laser Submachine Gun" WIP
« on: Nov 09, 2014, 09:01 PM »
So I bought a Uzi airsoft gun from the Bass Pro Shop and began modding it into my Supertrooper blaster!

This is the Uzi fresh out of the package

This is what I hope to achieve

This is what I have done on the stock

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any input!

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Harding's Super Trooper "Laser Submachine Gun" WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:43 PM »
hi Vod, I must say I am glad to see someone building this, I love this blaster! Your stock is looking good so far, however if you want it accurate to the prop actually made you should rotate the graflex so the "bunny ears" are pointing up (in line with the rear sight) instead of what is in that reference photo. That is my two credits anyhow, but it is your build and you are off to a great start  ;D

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the info I thought I read that it got twisted at somepoint so it's good to hear it from someone else! Hopefully I'll have more progress pics up tomorrow :P

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm working on a couple o these. I've loved this blaster for years. If you watch the "walkaround" video of the costume being demo'ed for Lucas, you'll see the correct orientation of the barrel. I'm not sure why Steve's never twisted it back to true.

What are you using for your other parts?

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 11:48 PM »
Small update pics on OP

And for the most part im just using foam pvc board to make/close off everything. Thats what all the white is you see in the pics. I still need to figure out how to make the "pen" for inside the left side piece. The red piece on the grip was sculpted from clay. The barrel will be made from pvc pipe. And all the small barrel components and little detail pieces on the right side i still need to figure out.

Peregrinus

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:03 AM »
Want some leads? ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:34 AM »
Go over  to the Dented Helmet and look up Mojo-Fett and send him a PM asking about the Supertrooper blaster pats kit. He's sold them on eBay before, but doesn't have any up now. The insert on the muzzle is one version of Mitchell turntable swingarm base. The tip on the left-side piece is a pivot base from the same source. His set has both, precision recreated. The ribbed insert is the handle of a Paterson photographic chemical stirrer. Here's a handy link. The stirry bit is used for one of the shin tools. And the bulky frame thing surrounding it on the blaster is a German-made drafting pen holder. Here's a pic:

Conveniently, I have a few still from the set I got... ;) Let me know if you want one.

The barrel is an annoyingly hard to find version of 3-cell Graflex flash handle. Similar to the one used for Luke's lightsaber, but has some distinctive tells. If you know anyone who makes replica lightsaber parts, that's your best bet to get the tube (cut right) , clamp, holes, pins, etc. I used a 1-3/8" brass sink drain extension tube from Ace Hardware for my mockup, and that's the outer diameter you should go for if you scratch-build. Here's a link to one -- about 60% of the way down the page. Double threaded extension tube.

The plant-on bit on the right side is a thin stainless steel bit with marking tape and such. That's fairly easy to scratch build.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:07 PM »
I also found something that may help you with your build, for the graflex barrel part I found this template ( http://www.tk560.com/jegner/Graflex-replica.pdf ) since I am planing to build one of these too in the future haha. the actual template is on page 25.

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Peregrinus

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Yep. That's the template I used. But! It was originally drafted on the assumption that a Graflex handle was an inch and a half in diameter, when it's actually an inch and three-eights. MPPs and Heilands are an inch and a half. It's only an eighth of an inch, but while that might be negligible for making a lightsaber replica, it's surprisingly essential to fix for this blaster. If the tube is the right size, it fits the front face of the Uzi perfectly. If it's an eighth of an inch too big, it overhangs and looks visibly off. When you get it printed to the size indicated by he template, reduce it to 91% to get the right size.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I'm following this build  8)  I actually picked up that same air-soft Uzi last year with the intentions of doing a causal supertrooper mod to it.  I haven't gotten around to it, but I still plan to.  At least I can watch your build.  ;)

Peregrinus

« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:50 PM »
Same advice/leads I gave him, my friend. :) Mojo makes the fiddly bits, the Paterson stirrer is easily get-able, and I have some extra Sec-O-Mat pen holders. If you can sort out the Graflex issue, the rest is cake.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:27 PM »
OH. MY. GOD.

So much knowledge! Thank you guys so much!! You have no idea how much this helps!

Just picked up one of the stirrers lol

And Peregrinus I am going to PM you!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Mockup look at the Laser Submachine Gun!!

Let me know what you think!!

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Looking pretty good  8)  I'm taking notes for when I get around to mine.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:27 AM »
Looking pretty good  8)  I'm taking notes for when I get around to mine.

Thanks! And get on it! I see you already have the Uzi base and I can send you templates of what I worked up for all the add ons and what not if you'd like. I guess scanning them and sending them would work fine

Peregrinus

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Hoy...? I know you've got some new stuff to work with... ;)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:10 PM »
I do indeed but I haven't had the time to work on my blaster :/ my girlfriend and I have been working on two other costumes plus our mandos and my blaster has kinda been neglected :/ hopefully this weekend I'll get some time to work on it

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2015, 02:43 AM »
I do indeed but I haven't had the time to work on my blaster :/ my girlfriend and I have been working on two other costumes plus our mandos and my blaster has kinda been neglected :/ hopefully this weekend I'll get some time to work on it
haha. I know this feeling. Minus the girlfriend bit, but still. Between classes, work, and all the various aspects of my suit, I frequently go weeks, even months without touching one aspect of my suit or another. Of course, with C7 coming up fast, I can't really afford to allow that to happen any more.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:53 PM »
So this is where I have it as of now

Still a good amount to do but it will get there eventually

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:51 PM »
awesoooome work vod ;) Looks great

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Thanks Niabi!!

Should have an update tomorrow night! Spent all day today working on Mando stuff!!!

Space Matter 13

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2015, 01:14 AM »
That looks like one hella awesome Mando Blaster. Great idea using an Uzi for a base.

I wonder what Mythosaur tastes like? Don't tell me that you've never thought about chowing down on a nice full rack of Mythosaur ribs. Just me?  Damn
« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Thank you guys for the kind words and I don't really have an update on the Uzi but I did just get something in the mail from the uk today 😝😝😝 check out 1000 crows on etsy for a bunch of vintage camera stuff! I got so lucky finding this kaiser kamera schulterstativ 6004 for the sling gun. They only had the stock piece listed but I messaged them about the grip and she took a look through her stuff with no luck but then asked her husband and he check through his stuff and found the grip! They also added it into my order for no extra charge and had great shipping price from the U.K.! So check them out lol

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Can't wait to see everything finally come together as you're finishing this

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!