Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gloves with Talons. Is that approvable?

• 17 Replies

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Gloves with Talons. Is that approvable?
« on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Su'cuyi Ner Vode,

My wife is a nail technician and she showed me some very cool nail styles called stilettos which are 2 inch nails that come to a point. what she showed me that on some of these nails it actually comes with a ring that fits just before the start of the nail and covers most of the nail. What I wanted to know is can I use those as talons on my gloves?

My Clan is the Sandhawk and I think it could be a "trophy" to wear talons on my gloves. now the colours I might need help with, is there any reference pictures for sandhawks? just so that I can emulate that look.

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum Papa.
PROGRESS:
Armour WIP - local APPROVED.
Argen Tium Beast Tamer WIP

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Gloves with Talons. Is that approvable?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Check the CRLs, I'm pretty sure that type of thing is allowed as long as they are safety dulled and can't be used to hurt anyone.  As for reference; a quick check of wookieepeida didn't show any images so there probably aren't any out there.  However I would imagine that the colors are probably very similar to other hawks or desert birds of prey

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Check the CRLs, I'm pretty sure that type of thing is allowed as long as they are safety dulled and can't be used to hurt anyone.  As for reference; a quick check of wookieepeida didn't show any images so there probably aren't any out there.  However I would imagine that the colors are probably very similar to other hawks or desert birds of prey

much obliged.

The look of the nails is like this.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 03:41 AM by Argen Tium » Logged
PROGRESS:

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I don't see any reason why you couldn't do something like that; in fact, I've seen people with "bone" knuckle spikes and retractable blades that are mounted to gauntlets.

I would just offer a couple of basic suggestions:

1.  As Jorad mentions above, they would need to be dulled for safety.  I would also caution that you may not want to permanently affix them to your gloves, or you may want to keep a second pair of gloves without the talons on them handy since some cons or events may turn you away at the door, depending on the weapons policy of the event and the zeal of the person(s) enforcing said policy.

2.  Once you get them made, take them for a test run doing things that you would normally do while wearing them.  If you plan on carrying anything (ie-a blaster or staff), walk around with it and see if the talons get in the way.  I'd also suggest doing the usual stuff that people do at cons with them on.  Can you get to your wallet?  Can you answer a phone call?  Send a text message? Can you go to the restrooom?

If they get in the way of your normal activities, that means you'll either need a handler or you may have to modify the design a bit.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medic Brigade
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Jorad Werde

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Can you go to the restrooom?

oh, oh god....oww!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:38 AM »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251485102355&alt=web

this Ebay link has 8 finger armour. i opted for this as it's less feminine then the rhinestone ones.

i just wanted to know if it looks in universe.

I also found these nail talons.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2014, 07:17 AM by Argen Tium » Logged
PROGRESS:

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:41 AM »
oh, oh god....oww!

i know right.  i can just see how That conversation going down with my wife.  "Why do you have scratch marks all over your butt and back."

PROGRESS:

Jorad Werde

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 AM »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251485102355&alt=web

this Ebay link has 8 finger armour. i opted for this as it's less feminine then the rhinestone ones.

i just wanted to know if it looks in universe.

I also found these nail talons.

You could probably get by with the first one if they were painted differntly, I'd check with the app team though (there's a section for that on the boards now)

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:09 PM »
You could probably get by with the first one if they were painted differntly, I'd check with the app team though (there's a section for that on the boards now)

Thanks Jorad.

what a great idea for the app team to have a sub-forum.

PROGRESS:

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:47 AM »
Honestly, clawed gloves sound like a logistical nightmare, like Vraeden said.  I know one of the Femmandos on here was working on a kit that featured them, but I don't know if they made it into the final build.  If I remember correctly, hers were closer to cat claws, mounted on the first knuckle in order to avoid or reduce the likelihood of any unfortunate entanglements.

That said, maybe you should rethink this idea, and find a way to add claws or spikes in a less-dangerous manner.  A number of Mandos have spikes/ studs attached to our gloves at or around the knuckle.  They're more practical for a punch than, you know, scratching, but, well...  Come on, we're Mandalorians.  Which would you rather do- scratch a target, or jaw-jack him and put his shebs down properly?

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Honestly, clawed gloves sound like a logistical nightmare, like Vraeden said.  I know one of the Femmandos on here was working on a kit that featured them, but I don't know if they made it into the final build.  If I remember correctly, hers were closer to cat claws, mounted on the first knuckle in order to avoid or reduce the likelihood of any unfortunate entanglements.

That said, maybe you should rethink this idea, and find a way to add claws or spikes in a less-dangerous manner.  A number of Mandos have spikes/ studs attached to our gloves at or around the knuckle.  They're more practical for a punch than, you know, scratching, but, well...  Come on, we're Mandalorians.  Which would you rather do- scratch a target, or jaw-jack him and put his shebs down properly?

I might just leave the talons out. I appreciate all of your input. I heard that one of the mando's on keldabe talk back radio had claws as well and was entertaining the though of it. But I feel that the talons makes it look too feminine. plus it adds a cost to it and well it's difficult to be constantly checking with the wife whether we have enough money every time I have whim.

Vor Entye Ner vode. (thank you my brothers and sisters)

PROGRESS:

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:41 AM »
plus it adds a cost to it and well it's difficult to be constantly checking with the wife whether we have enough money every time I have whim.

If it's any consolation (and it's probably not), my imagination and vision exceeds my budget by about 4000%.

There are some folks out there who have little extras like these and their kits look great, but they can also lead to the costs of your armor getting wildly out of control very quickly.

Keep working on your kit, and once you're official, this could be one of those things that you add to your "projects to complete down the road" list.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medic Brigade
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 03:11 PM »
sucuyi Vraeden,

thanks for the helpful suggestion believe it or not the talons are not expensive they're $12 for a set and they pretty much said "Yes if there blunt".

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014, 08:00 PM by Argen Tium » Logged
PROGRESS:

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Youd be surprised how much of your depth perception and co-ordination you loose when you mess with your fingers lol-even with mine and they add only 3/8" length to each finger, plus you can't feel what your doing either so you need to develop almost an additional 'external' sense of feel if that makes any sense lol

Here are the pics taken for my IWB.

What you could do instead is extend backwards claws over the farthest up joints of the finger to cover the gaps between and be great for backhanding

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Argen Tium

• "Ni haar mando Buir"
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Thanks Acacin,

I'm going to attach claws to my gloves and I'll get some pictures hopefully soon.

PROGRESS:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!