Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Budget Lighted Rangefinder Topper

• 21 Replies

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months EnviroOps
Budget Lighted Rangefinder Topper
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:47 AM »
I started building this a few weeks ago. It's ready for a "soft debut". There's also a thread for it in the supply depot interest section.
Here a few shots of the lighted rf topper prototype when lit. This is a rough proto, so don't judge me on it.  I started by taking my RF topper from my Mando bucket and took a forstner bit to it, but it wasn't large enough to contain the light. So I built a topper from scratch. It still needs to be cleaned up and what is pictured isn't from the mold I'll be using. I made my "Master" from scratch. Molded it not to destroy it if it didn't work. Then took a clear encapsulating epoxy and poured it into my master mold. That is what you see. The "refined" mold has a finished topper setting up in it now (takes 24hrs to cure) so I basically roughed in this one similar to the refined topper. You follow? Doesn't really matter. This post is basically to show how the colors will look in the topper. The top of the rf topper will be held on by magnets. The top of the topper in the picture is loose. Anyway... pictures!
Available in Amber, Blue, Bright White, Green, Pink, Red, Teal, UV Purple, and Warm White.

AMBER

BLUE

BRIGHT WHITE

GREEN

PINK

RED

TEAL

UV Purple

WARM WHITE

So this is the topper. Quick flat black rattlecan on it. It has the green light in it in the pic. The top is just sitting on it, no magnets installed, don't judge it yet. It is cast in clear epoxy, and painted black to block out the areas I didn't want light. Only the bottom of the topper (viewfinder) was left clear. I'll have pics of a clear unpainted version in a day or so. Note that the top 2 LED's do not light up. Still working on that. This topper is meant to be a budget conscious upgrade to those that want lights, but don't want to spend $150 on a light kit. Quite honestly, I have no idea what to ask as far as a price for this goes, so I'll have to roll it around. I'm thinking I will add the option to upgrade to aluminum stalks with the toppers, so that will factor into the price. These toppers are slotted on the bottom to accept the aluminum stalks I use. Ok... it's late, I'm babbling, LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Budget Lighted Rangefinder Topper
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:25 AM »
if you are casting in clear epoxy anyway have you considered taping over the two 'top' LEDs so they just don't get the black on them?  Also, I approve of the alluminum stalk idea, I know if I bought one of these I'd probably switch out my stalk any way.  Also have you considered priming it either silver, grey, or white instead?  I would be re-painting mine if I ordered.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months EnviroOps
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:41 AM »
I did mask off the top 2 LEDs. Its not a matter of light not showing, it's a matter of the powered bulbs pointing the opposite direction. I'll show how I built it later today.  It's looking like the top cover may be cast in resin with holes molded into it to insert the "LEDs" which I'll probably throw in the kit. It'll make painting it 100 easier.

Also, the RGB color is available. Hopefully the video loads.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 09:48 AM by Dha Bral » Logged

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:50 AM »
How would batteries be changed?

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Same as other kits. Pop the top of the RF, remove the light, switch'em out. Maybe takes 2 minutes. Very simple.

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Ok. Pictured next to a normal sized RF topper. These are both raw pulls. The top cover of the clear epoxy topper is the same one used in the pics last night.  Again, raw pulls. No refining has been done to the clear piece (or the regular topper).

Lit from behind.

Inside.

The Light!

Underside slot to accept RF stalk.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Wow, very cool solution that isn't hard on the pocketbook.   ;)

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:17 AM »
I've got a few functioning examples finished. I have a comic con this weekend and I've been busting a** to get all my ducks in a row for my booths. I'll have some pics hopefully by the end of the day.

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:23 AM »
A very clever and cost-effective solution, I shall have to think of something similar for my Buy'ce.

Kudos, Vod, that's fantastic!

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Theyll be up in the supply depot before long.

A very clever and cost-effective solution, I shall have to think of something similar for my Buy'ce.

Kudos, Vod, that's fantastic!

Kal'Verec

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I'm definitely interested since i've always wanted lights in my RF. I'm not good with electronics, so this'd be good for me.  8)

| Enby. They/them. Please respect pronouns. | Aliit Ori'shya Taldin |

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Definitelu interested Kal, let me know when your ready to go live with this project and I'll pick one up :)

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Is is push on or does it activate at a particular angle?

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Twist to engage the batteries.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:12 PM »
I would be all over this if I had an RF, but it is a great idea to keep in mind for future projects.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!