Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New WIP: J2P Conversion for my Modern Kit

• 37 Replies

Mathuu

New WIP: J2P Conversion for my Modern Kit
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Did a SWG Mando Helmet pep build, but it turns out that after a weekend at WW Ohio, I've decided it's MUCH too heavy. My brother bought a Rubie's J2P while we there, and after checking it out, I ordered my own.

So, here we go!

Total: $37.52 (Shipping Included)

It arrived today! After I got home, I tore it open, ripped the visor out and sanded the visor posts off with my not so trustworthy Harbor Freight Dremel.

Mathuu

Re: New WIP: J2P Conversion for my Modern Kit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 07:45 PM »
And Keyholes... Still have to clean them up.

Cleaned up, well, mostly. I'm assuming that the burrs and fuzzies will be taken care of with prep, paint, and sanding. I may also modify the keyhole shapes.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Looks like you’re off to a good start. Are there any plans to add things to the helmet or is it going to stay a standard model?

Mathuu

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Looks like you’re off to a good start. Are there any plans to add things to the helmet or is it going to stay a standard model?

Actually, I've been thinking today about converting it over to a CW Death Watch Super Commando (Maul Tribute Version) and reworking the rest of my kit the same. I have all the helmet reinforcement material ready to go, but I'm kicking ideas around in my head to make the helmet have the elongated appearance of the animated style. I'm trying to stay away from replacing the entire cheek structure, but if that's the route I have to take...

I just want to keep the super lightweight feel of the J2P prior to stuffing the electronics in.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:10 PM »
That should be an easy enough mod. I would be interested in seeing a J2P converted to a clone wars style bucket.

Those are definitely great helmets for being light weight. It always throws me off when I pick someone’s J2P up how light it is.  When you get to adding electronics make sure you have some pretty good padding in the bucket, or the weight of the electronics is evenly distributed. If it isn’t then the helmet may tip to the side since it is so light to begin with and battery packs add a good amount of weight.

Mathuu

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I'm trying to keep with that lightweight feel. I have a bad shoulder and getting too much weight on my head really does a number on it. I'm hoping to keep the in helmet electronics to a minimum and have most of it contained in the jetpack. I figure headphones and microphone should be all I need to shove up in there... I hope!

The injection molded plastic on this thing is thin enough that I should be able to get another J2P and use that to extend it by "welding" it with heat.

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Dont Forget to Cut away that curvy cheeks. The are a Pain in the eyes.

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

Mathuu

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Dont Forget to Cut away that curvy cheeks. The are a Pain in the eyes.

I was planning on using a clamp and heat technique on the cheeks to flatten them that I saw on another J2P build thread. I agree that the curvy cheeks are unsightly.

Drakus Cin'Ciri

• Stay Shiny and Keep Flying
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Nice start vod! Looking forward to seeing some more progress  ;D

MMCC: #1043, Brigade #245 - Pilot, 501st Legion: TI-51416, Rebel Legion: Generic Jedi, Cabur Akaata: 100

Mathuu

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Cheeks cut out! I cut 'em pretty high due to going for the animated TCW look.

Mathuu

« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Has anyone else with a J2P noticed it warped/lopsided out of the package? I've noticed it on mine and my brother's. The cheeks seem twisted making the T non-symmetrical... I think I have it corrected with the work in the following post.

Mathuu

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Sintra for the new cheeks:

Test fit my free hand pattern:

Scored backside and made tabs for an easy bend and better fit:

Both sides epoxied in:

Traced the original T-Visor and cut a new T to enforce the wobble in the helmet:

Part of extending the length of the face means I need Sintra all around the visor slot to give an even surface to let the visor sit flush all the way around. This will also let me reshape the the visor area to accurate TCW shape.

Mathuu

« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Getting more done today than I planned to do, since it's raining outside...

Superglue the peg holes and both sides of the seam, planning to epoxy the inside after, tape and clamp the two pieces together:

Sweet, let's let it sit for a while and get everything out to epoxy the inside seam... Oh crap, I'm almost out of quick set epoxy. I guess I have to wait... Oh, what's this?

Idea time! Rondo, I know from experience is study as heck. I've done drop tests on my other helmet that was slushed and even stood on it. Why wouldn't this work instead of epoxy and bracing? I'm trying to keep this as light as possible, so slushing is out of the question. I mix up a small batch, probably 1/4 cup with both hardeners and use a chip brush to lightly enforce the seam:

Let's see how it cures! It doesn't seem to add much weight with such a light coat. If it cures nice and feels like it will be solid, I'm going to seal the entire inside with this super light coat.

Mathuu

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:11 PM »
So, I liked the way it cured and we now have a mostly indestructible J2P!

darthmayhem

• Garyth Skyblade Taakure- Medic
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:35 PM »
good progress

-"O... that looks like it hurts, can i see your insurance card?"
-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Your going to have to cut some of that sintra away if u want to be able to see out of it.  Lol.  Looks good though

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Mathuu

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:47 PM »
good progress

Vor'e vod!

Currently getting ready to reshape the visor slot.

I promise there's a method to the madness in this picture. I need a solid flat surface to draw the new visor slot and make it symmetrical. without the bondo fill, I'm afraid I'll get it crooked and keep cutting and cutting and cutting trying to even it up...

Mathuu

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Your going to have to cut some of that sintra away if u want to be able to see out of it.  Lol.  Looks good though

Doh! :-D

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:29 AM »
While I'm not a fan of the clone wars helmet style/proportions, I am a fan of this build, That's some quality work there vod :).

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Mathuu

« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:15 PM »
While I'm not a fan of the clone wars helmet style/proportions, I am a fan of this build, That's some quality work there vod :).

Thanks, vod. I've decided the the TCW animated style is a love it or hate it thing. I, for some reason, love it. Even more so since I've been binge watching the entire series the past couple of weeks!

I just put my last bondo layer on the visor area. Next up will be meshing the sintra cheek replacements into the helmet with spot and glazing putty. I have a small bit of bondo on the exterior seam at the moment, so we'll see how that part looks after I sand it here in a bit.

I think my main design problem is going to be making some custom earcaps. I've been thinking about double layering some 3mm Sintra and using the J2P left cap as a template, but it's not looking right. Hmmm. I think once I get the edges rounded, it may fall into place...

Mathuu

« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Would like a few opinions on the visor shape I have!

Visor outlined:

Forgot to post my most valuable work tool:

Mavik

« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Looks spot on for a death watch bucket to me.

Mathuu

« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Not a lot of great reference pics for this canon character (DWSC Captain).

I'm trying to cut spikes/horns as I'm waiting on spot putty to cure up and it's really hard to judge the size and actual shape of the small ones on top.

501st CRL states triangle shape, but I believe this inaccurate. They look almost a chevron shape, yes?

Mathuu

« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:46 PM »
It's been a long winter so far between work and house remodeling, but with Indy WW approaching, I have to kick the Mando back in gear.

Horns a little large? I'm not sure, but we're going to paint tonight I reckon.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!