Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mando Info Exchange with RFID chips

• 10 Replies
Mando Info Exchange with RFID chips
« on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:17 PM »
So I've been fiddling with some ideas for using Arduino and Raspberry pi in my armor build and i thought of the RFID reader kits you can get and thought it would be neat to embed a chip in one glove palm and the reader in the other. The chip itself would be pre-programmed with your personal Mando profile with name, clan, preferred weapon etc. and when meeting with others at cons and such with a simple hand shake you can have someones info pop up on a HUD and/or have the info store itself for reference later. thoughts? ideas?

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
Re: Mando Info Exchange with RFID chips
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:59 PM »
I like it!  But like all good Ideas, they tend to get bogged down in monetary and practicality issues, as well as well as widespread use. 

Take Betamax for instance.  It was better than VHS, but became less popular.  The big issue is marketing and distribution.  The more people use it and spread it around, the better.  Unfortunately, it's a relatively small group.  If it became widespread outside of the Mercs, it would be easier to market within, as it's already a more or less developed and easy to use technology.  I realize it's already in kits, but you still have to program it and set up an app or something similar.

However, if you really want to pursue this, here's a link for a HUD discussion:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=81450.0

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Agreed, I love the idea in theory I just don’t see it gaining wide spread traction. Maybe if there was a producer of reasonably priced pre programmed kits that were easy to install. Even then I will meet new Mercs at some of the bigger cons, but the majority of the time I am trooping with people I already know.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:10 PM »
I like it!  But like all good Ideas, they tend to get bogged down in monetary and practicality issues, as well as well as widespread use. 

Take Betamax for instance.  It was better than VHS, but became less popular.  The big issue is marketing and distribution.  The more people use it and spread it around, the better.  Unfortunately, it's a relatively small group.  If it became widespread outside of the Mercs, it would be easier to market within, as it's already a more or less developed and easy to use technology.  I realize it's already in kits, but you still have to program it and set up an app or something similar.

However, if you really want to pursue this, here's a link for a HUD discussion:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=81450.0

The other option would be NFC tags.

The charity that Vok'Chi are supporting at the moment are 1st sensory legion/Feel the Force Day.  They have keyrings with an nfc tag inside that once tapped on a compatible phone open a website containing a video about Boba Fett, they use similar tags for other characters.

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:58 PM »
I like this. ^

A technology that already exists, all that needs being done is reprogramming the NFC chips (probably).  That and figuring out a way for it to look nonchalant like aforementioned handshake.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I like this. ^

A technology that already exists, all that needs being done is reprogramming the NFC chips (probably).  That and figuring out a way for it to look nonchalant like aforementioned handshake.

It won't be very non chalant...you basically tap your nfc compatible phone near the chip.
Chips themselves are pretty cheap but I'm not sure how they are written.

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Ah.  I like computers and all, but I'm no where near that good.  Somewhere between "I know how to use it" and "Thank you for calling, how may I help you?"

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:17 PM »
https://www.adafruit.com/products/364

there's a pre-made reader/writer for the Raspberry Pi
There's also external readers available for mobile phones that could be run down sleeves for people who wouldn't want to mess with setting up the Pi

http://www.adafruit.com/product/361

and this is a standard tag with 1kb of memory
they say you can get tags with up to 32k of memory but i don't know if that will be necessary.
With the size of the tags and the ability to transmit through material they can honestly be put anywhere on a kit, even on the back side or inside armor plates.
Could put the reader in your glove and the tag on the forearm just before the elbow for that classic movie warrior handshake.

I'm going to get the kit and a handful of tags, test the whole thing out, and if it works and is easy enough to set up I can make up a tutorial and make some tags for anyone interested. Then we can all spitball and figure out a standard on chip and reader placement that everyone can be comfortable with

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:30 PM »
The world will never need more than 640kb. . .

I think that might be a good idea.  Test run it small scale and make it into a thing.  Who knows?  Maybe that's how it'll be in the future when everyone has a "Google Glass" type HUD/scanner device.

*giggles in anticipation*
The future sounds so cool!

I digress.  If all else fails, there's always QR.  You can go online and make your own to be anything from a URL to a short message to a business card.  Pretty cool for a bunch of squares (couldn't help myself).

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:51 PM »
https://www.adafruit.com/products/364
 they can honestly be put anywhere on a kit, even on the back side or inside armor plates.

Mandalorian butt slaps? thats asking for trouble  :laugh:

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Heh heh.

"Good game!"

*angry Mando slowly turns around*

"Aaaand never mind."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!