Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Waystones WIP

• 20 Replies

waystone

• Northern Warden
Waystones WIP
« on: Nov 23, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Here we go...
Size check. I feel like this is correct and will sit better once the plates are formed around me. Maybe a bit of timing at that point but I wanted to make sure and ask if you all agree with this size.

Thank you for the input.

Also trying out this method: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=37556
So far i have had a good test run.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Waystones WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Those look just a bit large on you.  Try trimming about a quarter inch from all sides

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Round 2. I can see what you mean now, here is the resize. spacing is a bit off due to the tape not wanting to stay.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Round 2. I can see what you mean now, here is the resize. spacing is a bit off due to the tape not wanting to stay.

When you tape your templates on you, tape over them unto you. I see alot of people taping the templates from underneath and have to retake their pictures 4-5 times because the "tape doesn't stay". There's no need to try and preserve them. You'll be doing worst things to those papers later on, so tape over, it'll stick better and help you get them to conform to your body better and get much more precise mesurement/placement.

But your 2nd try is definitely better than the first. Always start from top to bottom when placing. Your collar should be right under your throat, almost "choking" you. From there on you line up every piece with a thumbwide space. Chest pieces should have their upper outer corners line up with the collar's own and follow the edges of the collar. The corners aiming at your armpits should then be less inclined to do so. Ab piece looks alright. Make sure it's lower edge sits slightly over or nearish to your navel.

« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014, 10:27 PM by Nevar Ehthpar » Logged
CAT #1573

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:43 PM »
What Nevar said

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:40 PM »
I did another resize and tapped over this time. I feels better from side to side, but now sits to high. am I able to just make them slightly longer or should i keep scaling the whole thing to fit?

ALSO i feel its important to note, i am building a very light armored kit, eventually recon. so do the smaller plates sort of fit in with this?

Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Are you using the Boba or Jango templates? The placement, it is much much better, the collar piece seems to be right on your collarbones which is good, but I see what you mean about the length. Check both templates, they have different length to width ratios so you'll have to experiment on this to see which fits better. It may seem tedious to start this way, but believe you me, you'll be glad to redo paper templates a couple times rather than trimming and reshaping plates the same amount of times.

On a side note, I see you want to have a very light armored kit, but have you thought about colors, buying or building your buy'ce, jetpack or not, backplate or cape and so on? Doing so during the planning stage really helps you get a general feel for your build. It's not set in stone, but it'll definitely steer you in the right direction.

And while I'm thinking about it, backplate sizes in the template files are, as far as I've seen, on the humongous side of things. You'll see what I mean soon enough :)

CAT #1573

Jorad Werde

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:49 PM »
The sizing on those looks fine, what's making your vertical spacing weird is the spacing between the plates, you need to at least double what you have in that picture (more like what you have in "round 2") 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Nevar Ehthpar: I am using the Bobba templates. I agree I would rather correct the paper templates many more times over having to redo the PVC.

I plan on having a back plate, I have the template printed and the final cut will be off of the front plates.
I have built two buy'ce built from pepakura. I can not complete these until the spring due to the cold weather, but I wanted to do the helmet last. No jet pack, maybe a sort of back cape. I have a few plans for colors and such, but I have a big painting background and am less worried about that part of the process.

I am working on the flight suit, armor vest, and I think I will be ordering the "rope" Girth belt.

Ruus'alor Jorad Werde. you are correct. Once I played with this and corrected the spacing the plates felt and looked much better.

Thanks for the input!

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Quick updates, Had some free time and I was able to cut out the front plates, I need to finish up the diamond and the back plate. I may have to find a way to join or layer the back plate as the PVC may not be wide enough.

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Working on this set again. Looking to buy a sintra kit vs keep with the PVC.
Thing i have been trouble finding is a place that sells Sintra back plates. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I found some Vac pulled ABS back plates, but would like to stay away from ABS.

Thank you.

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Kit is in, Just started working on shaping the plates.
Have to hammer out some of the details but for a first round i'm pretty happy with this.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2016, 04:15 PM »
As this is now a WIP I will move this to the correct section.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Next Round of cuts on plates.
Have to finish shaping them and cleaning up all the edges.
BUT I am done chopping them down!
Now to correct the spacing and mount them.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:09 AM »
Looking good. Chest plates need to come in a little as they're drifting apart. I'd advise mirroring the little chest cuts on the collar so they match. And you may want to trim off a sliver from the bottom of the ab so it's not catching the girth belt.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:29 AM »
The progress looks great, really loving it so far!
Can I ask you how thick your material is? And is it all PVC or do you use Sintra as well?

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:18 AM »
The progress looks great, really loving it so far!
Can I ask you how thick your material is? And is it all PVC or do you use Sintra as well?

Thank you!
Off the top of my head I don't remember the thickness, I know I opted for the ticker of the options. I also ended up purchasing a Sintra kit.

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:15 PM »
So. Things have happened.
6mm sintra mounted with snaps.
And like right after it was monuted i painted it. So here it is.

http://imgur.com/iHK2yzL
Next on the list is to get my cape and back plate done, shoulders, and gauntlets.

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Looking great

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Well progress has been slow but progress has been made. Shoulders are painted and mounted. Also worked out the cape.
All mounted in snaps. Super secure.

https://i.imgur.com/CkFPdFH.jpg

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2018, 05:56 AM »

Don't forget your img tags or your picture won't show :P A lot of people will not click on links an you'll get less/no comments on your progress.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together now.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!