Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ajax Kaal - Jetpack/Backpack with CO2 for thrusters and guantlet

• 4 Replies

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Hi there my fellow mando'ade, I forgot to post this last year as I spent and intensive three months trying to get this scratch built combo jetpack/backpack up and running with live CO2 piped for the jetpack effect along with shooting CO2 out of the flamethrower gauntlet done in time for KCPCC 2014. Basically Jan - Mar.

If you choose to do a system like this, you will need to research the CO2 purge systems used for automotive purposes, some basic electricity principles to include understanding volts and amps along with the wiring needed to handle what you build, understand how an automotive relay works, how switches work and whether or not you want a lighted switch or not along with making sure you have a completed circuit aka making sure you ground your system well. I highly recommend you have a lighted switch which shows clearly that your system is live and you are not guessing if it is on or not. Light on switch is on = system is armed and live; light is dark, system is off and not live.

Here is a short video I took on day 2 of KCPCC last year (2014) to just show what it could do and I'm also including some of the build photos as well.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=728708657163412&set=vb.100000728544836&type=3&theater

Here are some of the build pics:

This is the basic starting point a couple of plastic tool boxes from Lowe's:

This is the left side as you are looking at the pack showing the internals - this side was plumbed to the gauntlet

This is the right side this side was plumbed to the "jets"

This shows some of the wiring harness I had to make to run from the backpack to the gauntlet. I needed to have a main power switch that turned the whole system on and then needed to have one button for the jets and one button for the gauntlet, thus the electrical had to run from the battery to the switches in the gauntlet and back to the pack again. In order to get the pack and gauntlet on and off I had to make the lines able to disconnect, thus all the connectors. That white frosting on the brass air hose pieces is literally frost as the CO2 would make the line incredibly cold.

Also, as you are dealing with compressed gas, you need to use hose that is designed to handle high pressures, not just any rubber or plastic hose from Lowes. I highly recommend that if you try to do as system like this  you use hose that is made for kits like this, it is not that expensive. If you use cheap hose or hose not rated for your system, you can blow a line and have CO2 spraying all over uncontrolled. You can get severe frostbite from this.

In order to make the system work, I needed to have a way to get the CO2 from the bottles to the "ends" thus the Zex purge solenoids. In order for the system to be whole, I had to use a 5 way auto relay to plug all the positive and negative wiring into. The long silver looking bit on the left that has all the black wires going to it is a busbar acting as the main grounding.

This shows the gauntlet and using the flamethrower housing to hold the nozzle:

The lighted rocker switch shows power on (lit) or power off (dark) and the black button is for jets and red button for gauntlet.

Had to run the whole shmeer up through two holes in the top:

This is the completed, painted up system:

The jet nozzles promptly fell off when I put it on the first time at KCPCC and thus did not show in most pics. Also, due to the nature of the plastic of the tool boxes I also lost a couple of greeblies during the show and that was embarrassing to say the least. Again, this was a proof of concept to see if I could do it and put it into a pack and yes it an be done. At some point I want to remake the whole thing into a nicer SW styled housing instead of two boxes thrown together.

The battery is a 12volt from batteries plus, and the Zex solenoids are a low Amp draw so that it doesn't suck the battery dry in nothing flat. Most purge solenoids are around 12 to 15 amps, these solenoids are around 1.8 Amp which worked perfectly. They are around $60 bucks each. The tanks are around 20oz CO2 tanks that I get refilled at the local paintball place. I figured I could get around 20 - 30 or so really good sprays out of each tank before they would run low. Estimated that I have enough battery for around 100 - 150 sprays before needing to recharge. I didn't recharge once during a 2 1/2 day event. I bought 3 CO2 tanks to make sure I had enough for the event and ended up using about each tank per day over a 10 hour period or so. Now I wasn't running around spraying all over the place either, very judicious with it to maximize the effect and did some good spraying during the costume contest. Key is to make sure that the place fills the tanks up with CO2 and not compressed air, CO2 does the fog, compressed air does not.

You can use just about any CO2 purge or nitrous diagram as a starting point and modify from there. As others have done, you can buy a kit for doing one tank and spraying as an all in one, but I went with a custom system to incorporate the flamethrower gaunt as well.

Remember, anytime you are working with electricity or compressed gases, make sure you are working very safe and know your precautions. CO2 will "freeze burn" you aka severe frostbite, in nothing flat and if you do not wire your system correctly, you can fry parts, possibly make your battery short or burn. You want to make sure you have a way to shut down the whole system just in case you do have  a fire or a malfunction. Make sure you properly ground your system as well.

Anything you make or do with the knowledge I have provided here is use at your own risk and you assume all liability and damages for anything you make from this and I am not responsible for what you do.

Have fun!

Ajax Kaal
Forward, always forward!
http://www.ksimageryphotography.com

Ajax Kaal

By the way, here is a link to the purge solenoids I used:

http://www.zex.com/zx/hi-flow-purge-solenoidhtml/

I will be adding more links as I can remember where I got them from and will upload my schematic if I can find it.

Hope this helps more mando's make live jet and guant packs so we can all look better together as a group.

Ajax Kaal
Forward, always forward!

Ajax Kaal

Here is a link to the best video I have found on how to wire up a spst relay. I used this video to fully understand how to use the relay in my build:

http://youtu.be/tCA7fJFH4qE

Again, with a build like this, you need to be sure that all your wires, switches, fuses, etc. all match the load so you do not burn up your parts.

This video helps you understand the basics of a NO2 system which is similar to what you will want to do for this kind of build:

http://youtu.be/0dXEf1QEaEk

Ajax Kaal
Forward, always forward!

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Good stuff. Good stuff.

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
I love it! A clean and carefully engineered build from start to finish. Nicely done vod!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!