Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Red's first armor WIP

• 130 Replies

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
Red's first armor WIP
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:17 AM »
And so it came to pass that Redness, longtime forum lurker, has finally decided to make his WIP thread...
It's been almost 11 years that I've had this idea of my own armor in my head - the avatar you see is the thing which I drew back in 2004 in high school cafeteria ;) and so last year I came in touch with Merr-Sonn,bought my first real bucket and just like that my adventure started :)
Just so you know, there is no rule as to order in terms of armor making, eg. I have already finished my bucket, gauntlets and shoulder bells but I'm still missing a flightsuit, vest and chest armor :D So as you can see - it's all kind of random, mainly because it's difficult for me to find a coverall that would fit me just right, and while I'm not looking for it I just make other parts of my armor :)
Enough typing, let the horror picture show begin:

From Mando Maker to reality

Busy April 2014

Final Effect & left ear detail

Buy'ce done, time to work on gauntlets.
Using WOF's templates and two layers of 3mm foam PCV I got this:

Which I first turned into this:

And finally got this (pre-weathering pic):

The plan was for the inside of the blade to light up (pretty much like in Republic Commando) but due to unforeseen consequences I had to abandon that idea :(
Aaand for unknown reasons flamethrower batteries heat up and melt the plastic battery housing, probably will need to add a resistor to fix it up.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:09 PM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Red's first armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Those look amazing!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Redness

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Those look amazing!
Vor entye, ner'vod. Still lot to do though ;)

New progress pics:
Gauntlet rocket from RKD after Montana (Black series) Silverchrome treatment

Cod and butt pieces after shaping

Cod piece after using expanding foam. I got this brilliant idea after reading Yevrah Null's thread.

Now I just have to wait for the foam to fully cure and off to the next step

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 12:13 PM »
I like it man. I'm going black and red on my kit as well. I think my favorite part is the inside the ear details.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:12 AM »
That inside ear detail is pretty sweet Vod. How long does it take for that foam to dry completely so you can show us some updates!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Redness

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, vode. As for the foam - it's fully dry in 24hrs, so it's dry alright ;) right now I'm in the not too exciting process of bondo-ing, so there's not much to show and I ran out of paint so I had to order more Montana cans. When I get home I'll sand the codpiece and will show some new pics ;)

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Redness

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Sorry for double post but... PROMSIED UPDATE TIME!

Codpiece during bondo-ing. Just when I thought I'm done with it, I noticed it still needs some little work here and there...

Haven't showed you those yet - shoulder bells were the very first elements I made

And last but not least - my disassembled pride and joy (originally Nerf Longstrike). Took me ages to find it and then some more to find accessories I wanted.

And here she is in all her beauty!

Can't be too perfect - the chamber is broken and the rifle is NOT firing, oh well...

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Cod and shoulders are nice, the Nerf has to be rendered inoperable, but it still looks too Nerf.

Redness

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Cod and shoulders are nice, the Nerf has to be rendered inoperable, but it still looks too Nerf.
Well it IS inoperable, so I got it covered :P as for it being too Nerfy - I don't really have any ideas how to change it :s

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Take away the things that make it a Nerf; charging handles, magazine (and cover the mag well), alter the stock. I would also say drop the extended barrel and the laser light on the bottom.

Redness

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Take away the things that make it a Nerf; charging handles, magazine (and cover the mag well), alter the stock. I would also say drop the extended barrel and the laser light on the bottom.
Gah, of course! charging handles! How could I forget, gah I feel stupid right now :P Hmm I suppose I could cover the mag well with a nicely cut PCV piece, yea. As for the stock - I could cut out the mag holders, make it look less bulky. But I'd keep the extended barrel - I don't really like the way she looks without it. And the laser pointer is... fun :P But! It's removable so I can think about it still ;) Thanks for the ideas, Natan

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2015, 01:55 PM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:12 PM »
if you cut the tac rail on the bottom of the barrel off you should be fine to keep it

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:02 AM »
I hate the Nerf mods. I don't care what anyone says. They don't look like Star Wars to me. They look like Mass Effect/Halo weapons. I think modding a decommissioned real gun or airsoft copy is more in line with the original trilogy. My Mando will carry a modded German MG-42 I hand crafted (the rifle Dengar had in ESB) and a DL-44 (the Han Solo Endor variant, based on an airsoft Mauser).

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Redness

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I hate the Nerf mods. I don't care what anyone says. They don't look like Star Wars to me. They look like Mass Effect/Halo weapons. I think modding a decommissioned real gun or airsoft copy is more in line with the original trilogy. My Mando will carry a modded German MG-42 I hand crafted (the rifle Dengar had in ESB) and a DL-44 (the Han Solo Endor variant, based on an airsoft Mauser).
For me, many of the Nerf guns have that sci-fi look (ME/Halo as you said), and in hands of a skilled worker require little tweaking to make'em look just right. I'm all thumbs when it comes to things like that (as you can clearly see) so my Nerf requires a LOT of work. As for ww2 weapons or airsoft replicas - I don't buy it, just no. Same goes for Verpine rifles - they're plain fugly in my opinion.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2015, 03:18 AM »
It's not whether it looks sci-fi that matters. It's whether it looks like Star Wars. Almost all the original trilogy guns were built on WWII and WWI guns.

I have a few problems with the looks of the Rebels cartoon, (which gets the tone, narrative and dialog of Star Wars right), especially Sabine's guns which look more like Nerf than Star Wars. I know they're in the Clone Wars, but I haven't gotten far in that because the narrative is so dumb in so many episodes.

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Redness

« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:44 AM »
It's not whether it looks sci-fi that matters. It's whether it looks like Star Wars. Almost all the original trilogy guns were built on WWII and WWI guns.

I have a few problems with the looks of the Rebels cartoon, (which gets the tone, narrative and dialog of Star Wars right), especially Sabine's guns which look more like Nerf than Star Wars. I know they're in the Clone Wars, but I haven't gotten far in that because the narrative is so dumb in so many episodes.

Haha, I gotta admit - I haven't seen a single episode of those CGI Clone Wars. The only CW I watched were the 2003 animated ones ;) But yea - I know the guns you're talking about.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Ally93

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2015, 07:49 PM »
For your first build this is starting to look really awesome.
Really love the mods you did to the nerf gun, they can be awefully hard to mod but I think its starting to give a little bit of a sci-fi look.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Redness

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:57 AM »
For your first build this is starting to look really awesome.
Really love the mods you did to the nerf gun, they can be awefully hard to mod but I think its starting to give a little bit of a sci-fi look.
Thank you! Yea, they're pretty tricky to mod. Can't just cut off one part, 'coz I'll have a gaping hole that will need some serious bondo-ing :s

It's Sunday morning so what can you do with all this free time? Work on your armour of course!

Codpiece covered in chrome primer base-thing. It didn't turn out as I'd hoped it would but I can use the uneven places to make small dents and scratches look more natural.

I've also worked on my rifle. Please ignore the paint on the front grip for now.

Here's my idea and I sure could use some input - to leave the old muzzle brake and replace the front grip with a new one, I think it should look better now. I've also bondo'ed anoying openings on the main body.

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015, 08:58 AM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:42 AM »
The dings and imperfections in the cod are just natural weathering, nothing has to be straight up perfect. The Nerf is getting there, I think the stock looks way too Nerfy.

Jorad Werde

« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:51 PM »
The stock, everything that is painted silver, and the tactical rails all scream NERF!!!!!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Redness

« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Not much going on atm, as I've ran out of paint and still haven't received new batch. Decided to give Molotow a go. I noticed they have a colour named Signal Black, which might not be as black/deep as the one I use from Montana - I want to try it out on my rifle. We'll see when it gets here ;)

While I wait for the cans to get here, I toyed around with my helmet and some old graphics card and here's what I got now in the back of my bucket:

Thing is, it's pretty deep/high and I have to be extra careful when I put the helmet on.

Still need to add some padding once the glue is super-dry.

In other news - I finally bought a coverall online that fits me like a glove :P $7 with shipping included! For the time being I gave it away for small adjustments such as short sleeve addition and minor extension of the legs

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Looking great Vod!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:15 AM »
Looking good, nice work... especially that cod.  ;D  Also, I fought long and hard to get my Bondo perfectly smooth before it dawned on me that I didn't need to, that those little imperfections would help when weathering later on. Digging the paints, what are you using?

Redness

« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2015, 11:20 AM »
hehe, thanks ;D as for the paints - I use German-made Montana Cans. They're pretty quick-drying but it's advisable to use a clear varnish on top as they tend to feel sticky at times.
Today I wanted to try new cans - Molotow to paint the stock and barrel aaaand... it didn't go too well, as I didn't remove old Montana paint... as a result both stock and barrel have bubbles and cracks. As of now I don't really know what to do with it, all I have left is the rifle body, still half-painted with Montana :/

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:49 AM »
Osi'kyr!  :-\  Sorry to hear that. Would sanding it down be more work than it's worth?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!