Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Red's first armor WIP

• 130 Replies

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
Re: Red's first armor WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:44 AM »
It's not whether it looks sci-fi that matters. It's whether it looks like Star Wars. Almost all the original trilogy guns were built on WWII and WWI guns.

I have a few problems with the looks of the Rebels cartoon, (which gets the tone, narrative and dialog of Star Wars right), especially Sabine's guns which look more like Nerf than Star Wars. I know they're in the Clone Wars, but I haven't gotten far in that because the narrative is so dumb in so many episodes.

Haha, I gotta admit - I haven't seen a single episode of those CGI Clone Wars. The only CW I watched were the 2003 animated ones ;) But yea - I know the guns you're talking about.

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2015, 07:49 PM »
For your first build this is starting to look really awesome.
Really love the mods you did to the nerf gun, they can be awefully hard to mod but I think its starting to give a little bit of a sci-fi look.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Redness

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:57 AM »
For your first build this is starting to look really awesome.
Really love the mods you did to the nerf gun, they can be awefully hard to mod but I think its starting to give a little bit of a sci-fi look.
Thank you! Yea, they're pretty tricky to mod. Can't just cut off one part, 'coz I'll have a gaping hole that will need some serious bondo-ing :s

It's Sunday morning so what can you do with all this free time? Work on your armour of course!

Codpiece covered in chrome primer base-thing. It didn't turn out as I'd hoped it would but I can use the uneven places to make small dents and scratches look more natural.

I've also worked on my rifle. Please ignore the paint on the front grip for now.

Here's my idea and I sure could use some input - to leave the old muzzle brake and replace the front grip with a new one, I think it should look better now. I've also bondo'ed anoying openings on the main body.

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015, 08:58 AM by Redness » Logged
MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:42 AM »
The dings and imperfections in the cod are just natural weathering, nothing has to be straight up perfect. The Nerf is getting there, I think the stock looks way too Nerfy.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:51 PM »
The stock, everything that is painted silver, and the tactical rails all scream NERF!!!!!

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Redness

« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Not much going on atm, as I've ran out of paint and still haven't received new batch. Decided to give Molotow a go. I noticed they have a colour named Signal Black, which might not be as black/deep as the one I use from Montana - I want to try it out on my rifle. We'll see when it gets here ;)

While I wait for the cans to get here, I toyed around with my helmet and some old graphics card and here's what I got now in the back of my bucket:

Thing is, it's pretty deep/high and I have to be extra careful when I put the helmet on.

Still need to add some padding once the glue is super-dry.

In other news - I finally bought a coverall online that fits me like a glove :P $7 with shipping included! For the time being I gave it away for small adjustments such as short sleeve addition and minor extension of the legs

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Looking great Vod!

QMU#084
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:15 AM »
Looking good, nice work... especially that cod.  ;D  Also, I fought long and hard to get my Bondo perfectly smooth before it dawned on me that I didn't need to, that those little imperfections would help when weathering later on. Digging the paints, what are you using?

Redness

« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2015, 11:20 AM »
hehe, thanks ;D as for the paints - I use German-made Montana Cans. They're pretty quick-drying but it's advisable to use a clear varnish on top as they tend to feel sticky at times.
Today I wanted to try new cans - Molotow to paint the stock and barrel aaaand... it didn't go too well, as I didn't remove old Montana paint... as a result both stock and barrel have bubbles and cracks. As of now I don't really know what to do with it, all I have left is the rifle body, still half-painted with Montana :/

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:49 AM »
Osi'kyr!  :-\  Sorry to hear that. Would sanding it down be more work than it's worth?

Redness

« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:53 AM »
Honestly, I have nothing else better to do right now, as I still don't have my flight suit fixed and vest sewn - this means I'm not starting chest plates yet. So when I get back from work I'll head down to the basement and start sanding it all down :P main body included, as it's painted with Montana... at least I'll sand down all the seam lines

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Redness

« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Not much going on atm, flightsuit still not ready, struggling with cod/butt + belt attachment and main weapon... but I found someone willing to make a vest for me sometime in April :)
aaand I got to work on my knee armor and here's where I need your feedback, folks. I got only one pictured but both look like this:

The question is - does it look ok? I know you can't see much (that's what you get when your SO cba to take picture of your knees :P) but It seems to me that the inner part sticks out too much and that the front should be a bit wider but as I said - I need your input before I decide to spray it with primer

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Looks like a knee to me! It looks fine Vod keep up the good work.

QMU#084

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:10 PM »
It's not whether it looks sci-fi that matters. It's whether it looks like Star Wars. Almost all the original trilogy guns were built on WWII and WWI guns.

I have a few problems with the looks of the Rebels cartoon, (which gets the tone, narrative and dialog of Star Wars right), especially Sabine's guns which look more like Nerf than Star Wars. I know they're in the Clone Wars, but I haven't gotten far in that because the narrative is so dumb in so many episodes.

The series gets a lot better further on. Definitely keep watching it. As for the gun, put the magazine on the side if you could. From what I've seen that's a standard change for nerfs here

Redness

« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Thanks Bowfanny :D
mobcake - you are a genius, vod! I'm so out of ideas and yet here you are with such a brilliant and fairly easy mod :D I also got info from Q&A that should help me to get rid of that nerfy look

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!