Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

electronics need some advice

• 10 Replies

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
electronics need some advice
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Hello all so I've been looking around at some different set ups but due to my lack of knowledge with small electronics I've hit some walls.

So I want to have a voice amp and a hearing system but I'm not sure if there are products that will help me accomplish this with one system or do I have to  put in two separate units. Also the speaker packs I've seen appear to be a little large is there anything that is under 2" that will give me an acceptable range of frequency/volume.

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: electronics need some advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Re: Voice Amp - Is belt mounted is not acceptable?

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

bassplaya

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:09 PM »
To be honest I didn't want to have wires running down my neck I wanted to make the helmet it's own piece, but that would simplify things to just put it on my belt.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
You won't really need a hearing system unless you have a hard time hearing as you are now.

As for a voice amp, go here and get what 90% of the 501st uses every single troop: http://www.voicebooster.com/products/costume-products.html . Both the MR1506 and MR1505 are good choices.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Gale Cabur

• Vode an
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:01 PM »
I understand your hesitation to have a neck wire, but I second Thoranios. I ended up purchasing an uproar hearing aid that's self contained in my helmet and ran a 3m cord to the MR1505 in my belt pouch. I was surprised at how much freedom of movement I have.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:43 PM »
I've considered buying an uproar, but I'm still not 100% sure I truly need it. If you really feel you can benefit from one, go for it.

Remember one thing: it's your build, and anything you want on the inside is up to you.

EDIT: Consequently, you can also build your own if you know how to use a soldering iron. http://www.electronics123.com/kits-and-modules/Audio-prepower-amplifiers/SUPER-STEREO-EAR-KIT.html

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2015, 12:23 AM by Thoranios Xast'or » Logged
CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

bassplaya

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:22 PM »
Hmm I guess a wire running along the neck seal wouldn't be too bad movement wise. And I'm not exactly sure if I will require a hearing kit but I do have a bit of work related hearing damage that limits hearing in the open sometimes. Oh one more question does anyone know if there Will be any interference from an aluminum helmet

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Dunno about aluminum specifically but I found that I wasn't a fan of helmet mounted microphones (for the hearing augmentation) - have to do quite a bit of insulation / creative mounting or they pick up every single impact, touch, vibration on the helmet itself.

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Gale Cabur

• Vode an
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:36 PM »
I have a cold cast aluminum ASOk Jango. No interference for my uproar and my aker runs to my belt pouches with a 3m cord and no problems at all.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Re: Voice Amp - Is belt mounted is not acceptable?

You should hide your voice amp in a pouch or covering so that it's not just sitting on your belt.  It has to do with visible "earthy" technology (like a cellphone on a belt clip) that takes away the SWarzyness of your costume. 

I have one of the Aker voice amps and I use an over the ear boom microphone.  I run the wire under my vest/neckseal and into a pouch on my belt with some slack at the top.  I've never felt like my movement was restricted by the wire.

I have also never had a problem hearing people speak in normal conversations.  What you might find is that in your bucket you won't hear people calling your name from across the room and you might have a hard time telling directions, but in the times when I've been talking to people one-on-one or in a small group, hearing them has never been an issue for me.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:00 AM »
You should hide your voice amp in a pouch or covering so that it's not just sitting on your belt.  It has to do with visible "earthy" technology (like a cellphone on a belt clip) that takes away the SWarzyness of your costume. 

I have one of the Aker voice amps and I use an over the ear boom microphone.  I run the wire under my vest/neckseal and into a pouch on my belt with some slack at the top.  I've never felt like my movement was restricted by the wire.

I have also never had a problem hearing people speak in normal conversations.  What you might find is that in your bucket you won't hear people calling your name from across the room and you might have a hard time telling directions, but in the times when I've been talking to people one-on-one or in a small group, hearing them has never been an issue for me.

I use a romfx in my pouches with the mic mounted on a converted xbox headset, wire running down under my vest.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!