Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Flamethrower Mando

• 23 Replies
Re: WIP - Flamethrower Mando
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2020, 05:05 AM »
"But at least it's coming?"

Right! Just like Canadian legend Stompin Tom said;
"If ya don't get at it when ya get to it
Ya won't get to it to get at it again"

Good attitude!

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."
https://imgur.com/a/FlZWnVe

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106123.msg1508559#msg1508559

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2020, 04:20 PM »

It's here, with plenty of extra just in case! I still have the broken stomach plate so I can probably use most of it as a guide there. And then it's crying at cutting the material for the visor.

I might hold off on the gauntlet for a little so I can do some research, though. I'd imagine they'd be the trickier part.

In other news, I've picked up some piping for a flare gun-inspired side arm that I'm not gonna immediately enter with my costume. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to cut it...

You can call me Mercy. They/them pronouns, please.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Yup! Looks like you're well covered!

When you say piping  do you mean metal or PVC?

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Yup! Looks like you're well covered!

When you say piping  do you mean metal or PVC?

I'd say PVC, but I don't actually think it's that kind of plastic. It's the same kind I used for my flamethrower though, already black and the perfect shape for a flare gun barrel.

I've also cut out the pieces and gotten to work with bending! The stomach plate is shaped (though I may go back and bend the sides a little more), but as it turns out I don't have a proper form for bending the gauntlet pieces. I considered using our traffic cones, but they're not made of a rigid enough plastic... Anybody have a suggestion? For the resin I used an old spray paint can and some clamps of varying settings, but sintra doesn't bend the same way or take as long to set.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2020, 05:07 AM »
Personally I just heated and hand formed.

Sorry that's not helpful though.

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:16 PM »
It's a good thing I have so much extra then.  ;)

I'll give a simple by hand forming a shot, or maybe actually fitting it to my arm.
I'm hoping I only have to shape one side, because I have this old steel piece from an outdoor heater that's thin enough to be wearable-light and already curved; the issue is whether the steel will heat enough to bend and cutting the dang thing shorter.

Edit: Gave up on the steel piece because I don't have the tools, but there's now a vaguely workable looking gauntlet base!

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2020, 03:56 PM by Tracyn Viktari » Logged

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 02:46 AM »
Looking good, Mercy!! I make sure that my first coat of primer is always a plastic primer, and like Jayrodadon said, make sure that you use sandpaper to give the paint some mechanical adhesion.  As for your bracers, I tend to use 3mm instead of the 6mm, as 3mm is much easier to bend into the complex curves needed. 

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 06:23 PM »
I'm sadly stuck with my 6mm since I don't currently have the cash to get anything else, but it's working well so far; I've been using a box cutter to help me get some of the curves, it's working pretty well for now.

I've juuuust gotten a LED in for a flamethrower top for my gauntlet, but I'm not sure I want to deal with that until I get the stuff for actually clipping said gauntlet together. Should be here soon though!

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 11:51 PM »

I've juuuust gotten a LED in for a flamethrower top for my gauntlet, but I'm not sure I want to deal with that until I get the stuff for actually clipping said gauntlet together. Should be here soon though!

oh, cant wait to see how that turns out!

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!