Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cloak

• 3 Replies
Cloak
« on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Hey vode! I'm currently waiting for a set of armor pieces to come in for me to work on my armor and I thought in the mean time that I would work on a cloak to go with it. Here is a pic of my armor design, paint scheme is gonna stick with gray and white but the design might change.

I was thinking of making a cloak out of a stock white flannel fabric.  The flight suit and best will both be gray (thinking maybe make the vest white though) and I thought the white cloak would be a good contrast while fitting in with the set. Ideas? And are there any templates for a cloak out there? Thanks vod!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Cloak
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:18 PM »
I'm scouring the forums for one currently too, vod. Let me know if you find one and I will do the same for you. 

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2015, 11:35 PM »
everyone's cloak is so different there aren't any templates out there.  You can probably find some on the wider internet, but there aren't any here on the forums

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Darinus

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Flannel (in my experience) makes a great cloak/cape material as it has some weight to it but isn't too heavy to flow and drape correctly.
Cloak has a hood, cape doesn't.

As far as patterns go, your drawing shows it as being frayed. If it isn't supposed to be a finished garment you may be able to get away with just eyeballing it. I made a tattered cape for a set of fantasy armor like that... I got some help deciding where it would attach at the shoulders and how much "sag" the top part between the shoulders would have, marked about how long/wide the bottom should be, and cut out the rough trapezoid shape. All of the edges received some choppiness and distressing, turned out pretty good. If you wanted it to come around the neck like the drawing you could make a long rectangular scarf-type piece and attach it to the top of the trapezoid shape.

If you're looking for a more finished cape or cloak pattern you could try a craft store, places like Joanns usually have patterns on sale. A non-Mercs Internet search might find something, maybe even for free.

DZ-10206 ANH Tusken Raider, 501st Carolina Garrison
Jedi & Tusken Raider, Rebel Legion Blue Ridge Base
Davin Ca'tra Mandalorian Mercs, Talon Clan
OM #1382, M.A.R.S. #75

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!