Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ion's armor WIP (pic heavy)

• 133 Replies

Ion

• Gizka herder :D
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
Ion's armor WIP (pic heavy)
« on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Hi all, decided come out of winter hybernation and start working on my kit. Yay first post! :D

I am plus size  so will need more shaping. Decided go with resin cast armor and looked at  this useful totorial
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=16740.msg241837#msg241837 for chest.

Made plaster mold of my chest using plaster bandages. Added some filler to smooth inside surface. Left to sand it and make really smooth. Now waiting for  better weather go out and start working.

Sketched how I want all look. Not sure yet about legs and knees, maybe will go with more round shapes.

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2018, 04:56 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

Verd'ika Helmet WIP- Female Armor WIP- Force Hunter WIP - Art/Crafts  
E.M.T.S. #137 | K.O.V.A. #0020 | G.M.O.L. #017 | L.O.B. #12 | M.5. #065 |

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Ion's armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:37 PM »
Awesome design! Looking forward to seeing your progress :D

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Love that design, can't wait to see more progress.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ion

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:56 PM »
I wonder is it ok if I do some armor pieces from two worbla layers and craft foam in between?

Another question, can I use  New Rock boots if I hide all logos  and cover  front with shin armor?
I have these

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Don't know about the Warbla and foam, but the CRLs say no to foam armor though.  And the boots should be fine

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:21 PM »
take ff the logos and the laces
don't even need to cover them with shins,

Ahh new rocks, so scifi :)

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Ion

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Great, love those boots they make me taller and look very intimidating.

Saw this awesome armor work in progress
 http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=32799.60 and 
it has some parts from worbla/foam/worbla sandwich.
Is it ok use this method, if foam is not seen and covered  fully with thermoplastic?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:42 PM »

Is it ok use this method, if foam is not seen and covered  fully with thermoplastic?

By my interpretation of the CRLs, yes.  HOWEVER I am not on the app team and thus suggest that the app team be contacted and asked.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

corriban

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:39 AM »
I've asked the app team, as did Karir, and using worbla is fine! The foam is necessary when working with it, as long as it isn't visible!

Ion

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Thanks Corriban for info :D Love working with worbla.

Did some shoping, got
Sanding filler for cars
Fiber glass kit for noob like me :D
Sanding paper
Black mate paint
Silver wax metallic finish
Paint sealer
2 plastic holders  for cleaning brush

Still need get

Primer for first layer
Dark grey and red paint
Piano hinges
and some glue to glue plastic parts to the bracers.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2017, 05:09 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Excellent concept art! 8) This looks like it has some promise, so I shall be following :)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Hey just realized you're in London. Come introduce yourself over on the Vok'Chi clan board, We're the UK chapter of the mercs. aso, I'd personally recommend that you use metallic paint rather than run&Buff, I've seen it come off the corners on hard edge models after 10 minutes of handing. paint is much more effective, and more cost effective too if memory serves.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Ion

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Here comes new month and time to make more shoping. Thanks for advise Kitala-Enby. Will add silver spray paint to the shoping  list:D
So weapons...  I never made one in my life.

Will cover this in fiber glass resin or worbla.  Took inspiration from SWTOR MMO (model on the left) and modified to include salvaged scrap details (picture on the right). In photoshop looks ok. Lets experiment! *panics and continues cutting*  :o

Anyone worked with P38 sanding filler instead of Bondo? How thick layer I can apply of it?

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2017, 05:12 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:13 AM »
Here comes new month and time to make more shoping. Thanks for advise Kitala-Enby. Will add silver spray paint to the shoping  list:D
So weapons...  I never made one in my life.

Will cover this in fiber glass resin or worbla.  Took inspiration from SWTOR MMO (model on the left) and modified to include salvaged scrap details (picture on the right). In photoshop looks ok. Lets experiment! *panics and continues cutting*  :o

Anyone worked with P38 sanding filler instead of Bondo? How thick layer I can apply of it?

I use halfords aluminium spray paint. Also currently experimenting with chrome, but it's super iffy so i wouldn't recommend it if you're just starting out.

Don't think I've ever used it, I think I use that Quick sand stuff from halfords,, £10, comes in a stubby paint tin looking thing with a black yellow and green label.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I use the chrome, nice stuff but it seems a little temperamental in colder weather. And I'm afraid I've not used p38, I use a car filler from a local autoshop and milliput. Never needed to try anything else.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I use the chrome, nice stuff but it seems a little temperamental in colder weather. And I'm afraid I've not used p38, I use a car filler from a local autoshop and milliput. Never needed to try anything else.

just curious kris, how is the halfords chrome enamel for the likes of base coats and masking off damage and clear coating afterwords?

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Kris Jasra

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:46 AM »
clearcoats fine, masking can dull it somewhat, and blackwashing removes the shiny layer completely.

Ion

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:08 AM »
I got Kobra spray paint, will  try those.
Yesterday made this head piece, need sew modified balaclava thingie to go with it.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2017, 05:16 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:06 AM »
I got Kobra sparypaint, will  try those.
Yesterday made this head piece, need sew modified balaclava thingie to go with it.

Oh cool. Be careful with Kobra stuff. It's thick tagging paint, Not really suitable for model work. I speak from experience.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Ion

« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Sprayed priming on helmet, a bit too much  and runs on as side , will wet sand excess when it dries out.

Damn all my color paint from Kobra,  now I am not sure to risk or not. It will be pity if I wasted money:(

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2017, 05:18 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Go for it, Just be very careful, Go slowly in light coats, Don't paint it all at once.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Ion

« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Checked helmet, primer cracked in some places. Waits lots of sanding... *Sigh*

Fiberglassed chest pieces. Did it for the first time:D To one side added too much hardener (more pinkish colour), second side already less hardener. After it dries, I plan do layer from inner side. Too dark to work, so its  for tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2017, 05:18 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

corriban

« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Looking good!! When we sprayed my husband's helmet the paint did the same thing. Just takes patience :)

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:05 AM »
These plates looks nice !

And I think this head piece is really cool. I love when people stay mando without their bucket :D

As Kitala said, you need to go with light coats, especially if your spraypaint is high pressure cans. ( i know graffiti spray paint comes sometime with high pressure and sometimes low pressure. The second one is better for painting on plastics or resins I believe, to avoid excess )

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Ion

« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Sanding and more sanding... I start hate that so much. My poor hands.

So applied two light  layers of silver paint, got a bit grainy texture.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2017, 05:21 AM by Kara Kelborn » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!