Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Saen Mavarre Armor WIP

• 8 Replies

Saen Mavarre

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
Saen Mavarre Armor WIP
« on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:28 AM »
Ok, so after many months of planning, and several more months figuring out how to post pictures on the forums, ive finally got a WIP thread to show off all my work. Am going with a somewhat eclectic build, in that im using standard modern chest and shoulders, but legacy back plates, legs and arms. plates are all made from 6mm Sintra and rough beveled with a dremel for that hand-hammered look.                             

So first up, chest plates

so first batch to be made, have had the most time to work on these. as you can see, theyre cut, beveled, and have been primed (except for collar). After i catch up on the rest of the plates, will move forward with these. but for now, theyre sitting.

Backplates (courtesy of Old Vharts Legacy templates Thanks Rob)

got them cut out, and beveled. not much else. have been playing around with them, to see how they'll overlap and where I want to attach strapping and how. Just got to figure out how to shape correctly.....

Knees, Greaves, and Thighs

This is where the problems started. As you can see in the top left, I started to form a knee plate. now, im not sure if I did something wrong or what, but the darted sections just dont seem to line up. not maybe its because of a curve to the plate that im just not seeing or something, but i am having a (amphetamine parrot) of a time heating and forming this here plate. pretty sure ive scorched it pretty bad. Then again, if i can ever get it correct, that just means free weathering. Greaves will work out great as I can adjust as necessary for fit, but thighs were just a little too long. [(Old Vhart's Large templates were designed for 6'0+ and 220+lbs. I'm 215, but only 5'7". so I meet the stockiness, just not so much on the height)What do you mean there arnt short Mandos?! BLAM! HERESY!] So since the width seems right on my ham-hock of a leg, I just cut a little off the end, re-shaped them to maintain the chevron stylings of the original template aaaand there ya go.

Soft parts. Flightsuit & Vest

went with a black flight suit by Rothco as i couldnt find a dark grey. Am considering how to uniformly fade or dye it. but will go with black if need be, and just weather the (amphetamine parrot) out of it. Material for vest in a nice brown duck canvas. Should hold up well to the weight of the plates.....i hope. Am including a neck seal in the black vinyl. Yes I know, this is all just material, to the nay-sayers, I have a date with a sewing machine this weekend so *raspberry*

Crushgaunts

ready-made, off the shelf, motorcycle gloves by excalibur. no fuss, no muss. A friend of mine came over one day on his bike and it hit me instantly that they would make perfect crushgaunts. A couple weeks and $50 to amazon later, and I have my own pair. Might have to dye the yellow stitching though......either that or incorporate some yellow into my kit somewhere hmm....

Blaster Belt

A gift from my late grandfather, this belt has dual removable holsters and cartridge loops across the back for 24 rounds of .45 ammunition. has a lot of sentimental value and I refuse to make any permanent modifications to it but its got soooo much potential I just cant resist using it. gotta figure out what to put in the cartridge loops.

removable buckle I found at Spencers. Seems just.....right. not sure why.....cant quite put my finger on it.

Next up will be to finish forming and priming plates. (second coat of primer is a must) Then a coat or 3 of rustolium silver or steel hammered-texture paint followed with a thick coat of clear epoxy. Followed by my actual surface paint scheme (which i have yet to finalise. with a thick enough epoxy, im hoping that i can "naturally" weather the plates to show the silver/steel paint underneath and avoid painting the weathering as my attempts to paint weathering on models always looks obvious and fake.

UPDATE 2/11/15
So drove up to Raven's nest for our weekly BS-and-carve-on-sintra session and somehow there were plates when we were finished!? how?

I even managed to fix the mangled kneepad i screwed up
the next day theres a package at my door

YAY MY SHIPMENT OF STYROFOAM PEANUTS HAS ARRIVED!!!1111!!!!11!!!!!!!11!!!

Well, what do ya know, its a bucket.

May I present to you, Ladies & Gents, The Headshot Props, Grunt Helmet

Immediatly went to work triming the flash off. Resin dust everywhere (just like sintra) so i grab my mask and pro-glasses, when suddenly, my dremel wheel rips apart

And that, boys & girls is why you wear safety glasses when using rotary tools. Otherwise i'd be wearing an eyepatch for reals.

For size

UPDATE 2/17/15

plates are formed, articulated sections joined together, and undercoated with metallic texture paint. Bondo-ed the kneepads and sanded them down. made an articulated cod off of the pattern for the top plate of the greaves.

Glued on the earcaps and filled in gaps with bondo. Yet to be sanded

have started on vest & neckseal, but needs to be re-worked  >:(. no pics atm. also have finally gotten the material for cloak. Hopefully pics tomorrow.

Next is a couple coats of resin for the plates (extra layers for knees and shoulders and possibly a reinforcement cloth), internal support for knees, and snap placement.

UPDATE 2/18/15
shoulder cape

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2015, 05:55 PM by Saen Mavarre » Logged
Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Saen Mavarre Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Looks like you're well on your way vod. Duck cloth is fantastic for vests

If would suggest before you get much further along that you tape your templates onto yourself and post a pic to make sure the plate sizing is good. It's very rare to nail the sizing on your first try, and it's better to find out now than after you've dumped a bunch more work into your plates.

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:58 AM »
You won't get the knees to line up perfectly and will have to use some bondo or other gap filler. The burned one you should be able to sand and bondo it smooth if you don't like how it burned/bubbled. When heating, I'm assuming with a heat gun, it doesn't need to be super hot just malleable to form. I'd also suggest heating the inside to prevent outward damage like you have so you can weather to your liking. Use some black enamel paint that has been watered down and see if the yellow stitching will take that as a dye. Other than that it looks like you are well on your way.

Vanlande Ne'trasenaar

• Cin Vhetin
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Looks like you're well on your way vod. Duck cloth is fantastic for vests

If would suggest before you get much further along that you tape your templates onto yourself and post a pic to make sure the plate sizing is good. It's very rare to nail the sizing on your first try, and it's better to find out now than after you've dumped a bunch more work into your plates.
He's good, I'm actually just down the street from h and we lined everything up prior to cutting :)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:23 PM »
He's good, I'm actually just down the street from h and we lined everything up prior to cutting :)

If you've got ^This^ guy helping you out then you're in good hands! ;D

Looking forward to see progress! Those crushgaunts are perfect! 8)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2015, 02:47 PM »

Can't argue with that! Carry on then =)

Saen Mavarre

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2015, 03:16 PM »
If you've got ^This^ guy helping you out then you're in good hands! ;D

Oh, Ive figured that one out already :D

Saen Mavarre

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:25 PM »
updates for 2/11/15 & 2/17/15

Saen Mavarre

• Aliit ori'shya taldin
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:55 PM »
updated 2/18/15

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!