Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando Going Heavy

• 99 Replies

Cakes

First Mando Going Heavy
« on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:23 PM »
So I started on my first Mando.
I'm going for a kind of heavy gunner style, heavy armor with T21 blaster.

here's what I have so far:
Commando helmet from Headshot - in progress

This is pretty much the colour scheme I'm going with, still debating on the chest pattern and the black as I tend to do a black wash for weathering and I was hoping to do some blaster charring so we'll see.

The initial design of what I'm aiming for, it'll still need to be tweaked and I've decided to go with the right one piece shin with an enclosed calf.

Picked up a pair of these off ebay for $20, they're more comfortable then I thought they'd be. I'll be armoring them as well

I'm still debating on what boots to order myself and what style of elbow to go with

I want to do an animal pattern on the helmet but I'm undecided on which one. I like the simplicity of the rancor and it leaves the rest of but the mytho is just classic. If I did the mytho on the helmet I probably won't do one on the pauldron. What do you guys think?

also trying to decide on my flight suit, I like the foilage but I think it might be too much green and blend with the armor?

Can't wait to get started on the rest and I know I'll be bugging you guys on the plate sizing for the chest lol

UPDATE:
I ended up going with a Strill design, needs a few odds and ends but it's almost done.

Build Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96339.0

I also went with a khaki flight suit

EDIT: Ok I enlarged the stomach plate (may have to trim the sides), trimmed the breast plates and adjusted the chest plates up. My tshirt isn't quite stiff so some things shifted when putting them on, they also are a little crooked and not shaped so I had to hold it down for the close up. I may come back to these again after I have the vest made.

Update Aug 02:
So after talking to Naasad Tal about my armor and how much coverage I want I think I've decided to go with legacy style plates for my chest instead. It'll provide more armor for the heavy look and better cover me.

Here is the paint scheme I want to do on the plates.

These are the boots I picked up:

And here is the template for my knife:

Update:
Got the KD30 pistol done. Built a scope mount out of sintra, an old button and an ear bud

Update: most of my links are now dead (thanks photobucket) but found a new hoster and made some decent progress.
 The base coats are on everything and I even started aome of the secondary designs.

My blasters are complete, i'm about 95% done my soft parts (working on how to mount my hand plates), painting is about 35% done, needs the designs and then black and brown washes to get it dirty. Been slow going but i'm on the final home stretch.

Update: some more secondary colours added

Update:
I started on the weathering and did the last secondary colour on the gauntlets

The boot covers have more brown to simulate dirt as well as the lower portion of the shins.

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2017, 06:00 PM by Cakes » Logged
Re: First Mando Going Heavy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:56 PM »
I'd say go for the tan flight suit myself, unless the green is an obviously differing shade of green from the plates

My beginner bucket. Made from a bucket.

Soft kit and armour WIP to come when I get the materials.

Cakes

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Ya it's a different shade, the armor will be an olive or OD green. But I think it'll still bleach out the armor instead of making it pop and look like a separate part

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:44 PM »
tiny photos make my eyes hurt :(   :P

nice concept vod ;)

deff go for the Khaki flight suit

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Cakes

« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Thanks!
lol sorry, figured thumbnails might be a better idea as some of the images are fairly large. I'll try to scale them down lol

Is there a list of which pockets need to be removed somewhere?

Cakes

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:28 PM »
Small update.
I got my khaki flight suit in. I think I'll only have to remove a couple of zippers as most of them will be covered by armor.

Made a decision on my helmet. I'm going with a new design based on a Strill.

Ordered and got these 3 sets of 2 pouches. They look a lot cleaner in the photo, I'm not sure if I want to clean them up a little.

Realized I have these boots from another costume. I think they'll do for now till I decide what to upgrade to something else.

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:40 AM »
Where did you end up getting the pouches from?

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Cakes

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:47 PM »
I got them from this seller here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151409827435?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They sell singles but for $13 the 3 is a better deal. Shipping was $26 for me.. .but they got here from Greece in 2 days.

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2015, 01:22 AM »
Thanks I'll have to check it out. Been looking into pouches for my own kit. Fashioned the basics for one, just got to actually assemble it heh.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Cakes

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:29 AM »
no problem lol. They're used and have a nice patina if your going for a weathered look. Seems the old Soviet surplus is perfect for this sort of stuff.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Strill based bucket  :rolleyes: interesting vod ;) sounds cool

nice pouches  too ;) i have some myself that i use with my Jedi ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Everything sounds good. For the color scheme, is it a stripe or are you planning a segmented ab plate?

Cakes

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Strill based bucket  :rolleyes: interesting vod ;) sounds cool

nice pouches  too ;) i have some myself that i use with my Jedi ;)

Thanks I figure it hasn't been done to often. Just going for the nose the eyes and the teeth. Going to leave the saggy skin bit out lol. Love those style of pouches. I still wanna find one or two bigger to carry my wallet, keys and phone in.

Everything sounds good. For the color scheme, is it a stripe or are you planning a segmented ab plate?

It'll be a stripe but I 'm thinking it'll be more off center closer to a design like a neo-crusader.
I just printed off the templates so once I've cut those out I'll be testing out the design on those.

Just laying these out to see how they look. I know a couple of parts aren't the straightest, but am I on the right track for spacing?

EDIT: Taped them onto my shirt. a few bits are sticking up I know its rough and crooked, but how is the sizing? The tape line down on my gut is where my belly button is.

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015, 10:03 AM by Solus Raam » Logged

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:58 PM »
The collar plate outside edges need to line up with the outside edges of the chest plates and the bottom of the ab plate should sit just above your belly button.  You may want to lengthen all the plates vertically.  Not everyone can use the exact templates that are floating around, many people have to modify the dimensions and ratios to get the proper fit. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Cakes

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:08 PM »
The collar plate outside edges need to line up with the outside edges of the chest plates and the bottom of the ab plate should sit just above your belly button.  You may want to lengthen all the plates vertically.  Not everyone can use the exact templates that are floating around, many people have to modify the dimensions and ratios to get the proper fit.

Ya the alignment is all off as I was trying to tape it on in front of a mirror with them shifting from my arms moving lol. I'm guessing all the armor lines should line up as though the gaps where filled?
That's what I thought, looks like the armor shrank in the wash. I'll print off some of the large size ones and see how they compare. Maybe mix and match or chop them down.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!