Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My bucket...bucket

• 67 Replies
My bucket...bucket
« on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:16 PM »
So I have decided to try this hardhat and bucket method for my bucket. I was going to get a Jango 2 piece, but I really wanted to make my own, and I think I can handle this method. I purchased my hardhat and buckets from Wally World (2.37 each, not bad!) So lets see what I accomplished so far shall we......
Here we have my hardhat and buckets ready to go

First step is to Dremel the brim off of the hat

Then trace our inner layer onto the bucket, cut out and screw onto the hardhat. After plastic was attached to hat I hot glued around edge on outside and inside. Then cut off the screws on the inside.

next was cutting out the outer piece ....that as far as I have gotten so far.

Stay tuned for updates!! ;D

Re: My bucket...bucket
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:46 AM »
Looks like u have it going good.  I used a bike helmet for my v1.  Going hard bat for v2.  Keep up the work it gets addictive.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:33 AM »
I ask of you one thing, and one thing alone: please, PLEASE, check your dome height before you fix it to the rest of the helmet. I've seen too many "conehead mandos'' lately, and your amazing kit needs one AWESOME bucket. :)

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Not trying to sound stupid, but what do you mean by "check you dome height" By the time i put some padding in the top my eyes should line up with the t-visor opening. I am going to partially cut out the top of the "t" to verify that I can see out, once I have the outer layer glued on of course. I do appreciate the feedback, as I am learning as I go!! 

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:00 PM »
He means how high above the brow that the construction hard hat is. There's been an influx of high above your eyes style domes as of late. That's my interpretation of what Thoranios said.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:23 PM »
He means how high above the brow that the construction hard hat is. There's been an influx of high above your eyes style domes as of late. That's my interpretation of what Thoranios said.

Bowfanny's got the right idea. We've been seeing a ton of scratchbuilds lately that don't check how high the dome is above the brow, and quite frankly it's got me cringing. :P

CAT #0960

Recon Wip
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:24 PM »
here are a couple photos with the outer layer glued on and the cheeks cut out.

tomorrow night is finishing cheeks!!

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:52 PM »
here are a couple photos with the outer layer glued on and the cheeks cut out.

tomorrow night is finishing cheeks!!
You might want to drop that hard hat down into the helmet at least an inch up to two so your helmet looks like it needs to. There's too much verticle surface above the browline you want a bit more curve right above the brow and not a mile of Forehead.

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Oh my gosh!! The cheeks are a nightmare with plastic. But I got one of them in. Tonight is the other one... oh boy!  :o

Bowfanny

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Oh my gosh!! The cheeks are a nightmare with plastic. But I got one of them in. Tonight is the other one... oh boy!  :o

Sadly to say they don't get any easier Vod! I had to fight the dickens when I fid my WOF templated helmet then again I was using 6mm sintra so the cheeks are thick as osik.

QMU#084

Batnor-Goor'verd

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:34 PM »
ive found when doing this type of helm its easer to put a set of cardstock cheeks in then fiberglass them with the rest of the inside of the helm

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:25 AM »
So finally some nice weather! Got outside and did some work on my bucket this weekend. Started working on my ear pieces. I made a template for my left earpiece and traced that onto a piece of 1.5" PVC.

Then cut out the earpiece and flattened it by heating with a heat gun. Followed that step with sanding a bevel around the edge and cut out the center.  After some sanding, I attached to the side of my bucket.

Installed rear vent

Here is what I have so far for the right side. Using a PVC cap, some aluminum tubing and some greeblies I found around the garage for the ends of the antenna

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:06 PM »
Looking retry spiffy there Vod!

QMU#084
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Why thank you vod for the positive comment. I am pretty happy with the bucket so far.

So I had dome some research on epoxy sculpt, as I really did not want to mess with bondo. I ordered some online a few weeks ago, so last night I figured I would start doing some filling. Well lets just say that this stuff is awesome!!. Just knead the two parts together and start applying. I used water to smooth out the edges as you will see in the pics, the edge around the rim is pretty smooth, so minimal sanding will be required.
Before I started

and after

This evening I will do some sanding and post pics with comments on how well the stuff sands! :D

Jardo Lightwei

• Slow and steady gets the job done.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Looking good, vod. Keep up the good work!

"No one cares who your father is, only the father you will be." Mandalorian proverb

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2015, 02:37 PM »
I absolutely swear by any kind of epoxy putty. I hate Bondo, mainly because it has so inherent structural support. Good on you for choosing putty. It's looking really good! :)

CAT #0960

Recon Wip
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Thanks VOD! The putty seems really easy to work with, with minimal sanding. I think I got the putty a little thick on the cheek. I will do the other cheek differently, as first time using this putty!!

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Got some work done on my bucket yesterday. Did some more sanding and cut some more of the visor out. I'm a little worried about cutting the top piece of the visor area out as I don't know if that area will hold its shape. I am going to wait until just before I put the visor in to cut that piece out. As you will see in the photos i filled the outer and inner layer in the visor area with apoxie sculpt and smoothed out with water. Very little sanding should be necessary in that area.

Also worked on my right ear piece, and did it same way as the other side. Flattened out some pvc and cut out the pieces with a Dremel.

now I have to start some fine sanding and wet sanding to work out some of the scratches left from sanding with the more course paper. Then I will attach the top ear piece. :)

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Looking good! I was one of the cone head mandos discussed earlier Haha. I referred to it as a Homer Simpson dome. My second scratch build will go much smoother than my current one. I REALLY like your ear piece!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2015, 12:07 PM »
This is a very clean looking build so far.

Jardo Lightwei

• Slow and steady gets the job done.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2015, 03:48 PM »
I was one of the cone head mandos discussed earlier Haha.

So was I...  :-[

"No one cares who your father is, only the father you will be." Mandalorian proverb

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:49 AM »
This is fantastic work!  My first and second scratch builts were with the bucket method so I can appreciate the time and effort into this.   8)

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:19 PM »
This is the cleanest bucket build I've seen on here. What glue did you use to glue the two bucket layers together? I tried this route before but I couldn't seem to get the two layers to bond together. I love your creativeness with the earcaps! I can't wait to see what you do with paint

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Your earcaps are fantastic! It's the one place most scratch-builts lack in, but not yours. Other than the hard hat ridge, by the time you're done nobody will be able to tell that it's not a resin cast helmet. I can't wait to see it finished!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!