Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Wooden "Blades" Pic Heavy. Dagger progress 10 Apr 15

• 25 Replies

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

• Ni ven cuyi o'r ner haavlam
Wooden "Blades" Pic Heavy. Dagger progress 10 Apr 15
« on: Feb 14, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Hey there. I bought a couple cheap mini paddles that someone had made out of wood, and thought that these would be perfect for backup blades. Here's a pic of what I've done so far. The outer line is for the outer edge of the actual blade portion, and the secod is where I think the blade should be angled to. Any opinions would be stellar.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2015, 10:23 PM by Alor'ika Gett'syc'kote » Logged
Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
Re: Wooden "Blades"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2015, 12:43 AM »
Not bad. Not bad at all. May I suggest aluminum tape to make the blade look like steel?

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:34 PM »
I was thinking of that Ferahgo, just have to find it at one of the hardware stores first. It's going to have a long handle and it's going to be interesting creating the sheath. I really need to get on buying some leather and some leatherworking tools.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Its no issue finding it. I got it at lows, in the plumbing area. And leather work it lots of fun! I do a good deal of leather craft, and I love it!

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:36 PM »
Quick update, I cut the blade out now, so 1 is almost complete. Need leather or other appropriate handle wrap and some aluminum tape.

One side

The other side

Details details details.....

Upclose

The actual edge is sanded down for safety

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Not bad at all.  If there are any blemishes, you should sand them down or fill them in. Aluminum tape highlights any imperfection. And for the leather wrap, just hit up a thrift store. They tend to have leather jackets at a good price. Nice source of leather.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Remember, Early Crusader ;) Not too too worried about little blemishes :laugh:. Going to get rid of the obvious dremel marks and let the alum tape give more character. I think I know where the sleeves of a battle vest are going to go to.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:31 PM »
If you don't have a plan for the sheath, you should read my tutorial.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:45 PM »
So, got some aluminum tape now, and I kind of messed it up slightly. There's some bumps underneath the surface of the top layer because I started taping it one way and then switched part way through.

Here's the pics:

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Has some potential, but needs some work, vod.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Kept looking at it, and got annoyed, so I tore off all the old tape, and retaped it.

Here's how it looks now:

Now have to buff and whatever to make it look good. Time to rewatch an Adam Savage one day build again.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2015, 10:13 PM »
Better, but not quite there. Try rubbing it vigorously on your thumb. Nothing hard, or you will just tear it.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Going to go find some 000 steel wool tomorrow and hit it with that to see how it comes out.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:48 AM »
I use "brilliant aluminum" Krylon spray paint that has a good, metal-like sheen to it. You might see how that looks instead of the tape.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 AM »
I'll look at that for one of the other ones Vraeden. I got the tape idea because of Adam Savage's one day build video for customizing his hero sword. I need to do a wrap on the handle after I hit the tape with some steel wool. I'll see where it's at after the steel wool.

EDIT: I hit it with some sandpaper and steel wool... Might be back to square one here:

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2015, 05:47 PM by Alor'ika Gett'syc'kote » Logged
Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2015, 10:41 PM »
New blade, this one is going to be a back-up dagger. I have the pic below planned for the cut, and going to shape it later. These are all going to match, and I'm thinking of making them all faux bone, with leather handle wraps. What do you think?

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Update on the last point that I was at with the last blade. It's going to be placed small of the back for kind of a back up blade. I gave the aluminum tape a try again, and I'm pretty happy with this one. Like I've said before, this is going to be leather wrapped so it will hide the excess tape, and I think I'm just going to stain the end of the wood a different colour. Still have to black wash the blade at some point.

PICS!!

EDIT: So I got annoyed at the looks and feel of it, and I sanded the living snot out of it (thank you Dremel!!!) to knock the size down by a lot. Going to be putting the tape on it shortly.

PICS!!:

EDIT: More progress:

Yes, that is both sides of it.

EDIT EDIT EDIT again.....

Here's where I stopped last night:

I need to do some leatherwork to hide where the pommel is and get rid of the ugly abrupt stop to the blade.

Let's just keep editing this one. Here's an in progress on the pommel area of the dagger (23 Mar 15):

Needs more tightening. Lots of very tedious tightening...

« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 10:45 PM by Alor'ika Gett'syc'kote » Logged
Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2015, 12:27 AM »
Leather work on the dagger is almost complete. Have some pics!

Now to do another slightly smaller knot on the other end of the handle to finish this one.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

Re: Wooden "Blades" Pic Heavy. Dagger progress 23 Mar 15
« Reply #18 on: Apr 10, 2015, 10:23 PM »
So the above dagger is not finished. It went through what it was, and then had tons of layers of foil tape put on, and subsequently removed... So, now, here is where I'm at with this, as told by the pics:

The last couple pics are a few coats behind in this story. Still needs more work, and the handle is going to get leather again.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
Re: Wooden "Blades" Pic Heavy. Dagger progress 10 Apr 15
« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Wood being what it is, if you're having trouble keeping it looking like metal, you could go instead for more of a bone or horn blade. It might be easier to white it out than to chrome it. And then you can also work with the grain of the wood more too.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 11:52 AM »
You've done nice work there, ner vod.

If you ever go the aluminum tape route again with a build, I know a trick I learned by watching the airframe mechanics at work.  Aluminum tape is used all the time on aircraft to cover minor nicks and dings in the airframe in order to restore a smooth aerodynamic surface.  After the tape is on, they use the edge of an id card or credit card to smooth out the wrinkles in the tape.  Works like a charm.

Meh n'kar'tayl, k'pirimmur ger tebec an!!  (Loosely, When in doubt, empty the magazine!)

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 12:13 AM »
Thanks Aren. I didn't share any pictures of when I attempted to use multiple layers of aluminum tape that frustrated the living snot out of me. Boiled down to that if your base cuts aren't perfect with the tape, you're going to have nasty bumps no matter what you do, even with smoothing it out with another blade, credit card, what have you. Found that the paint was the best and least stressful solution. I need a clear coat and a black wash... Damn this money thing!

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 07:07 AM »
ROFL Yeah, I know all about the money thing.  I'm doing my kit using metal from the scrap bin at work, with permission, of course.  Otherwise I could never afford to do this.  My soft parts are going to kick my shebs.

Meh n'kar'tayl, k'pirimmur ger tebec an!!  (Loosely, When in doubt, empty the magazine!)

Dillo

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 11:32 AM »
If you are going for the smooth metal look on wood, theRe ate a few options I know of and I am sure there are a ton more.  The easiest is a wax, thr most common way I know of it sold is for finishing pinewood derby cars to make the smooth.  They see the wax at hobby lobby I know.  The other option which is a little more involved, but still pretty easy is a finishing epoxy, they also sell it at hobby lobby and  other hobby/remote control shops (like remote control planes, boats, etc.)  it is sandable and some of them are self leveling so it gives you a smooth finish.  There are different working times on them that go from 2 min to 2 hour and the viscosity varies greatly.  They use the epoxy for finishing everything from model plane wings to boats and cars.  I would imagine a resin would work as well although I have never used resin on wood.  Just some suggestions to help with a seamless metal look. 

Once you get a smooth finish how metal it looks is all up to the paint application.  Test run some of the hammered finishes or just try one of the metallics with various washes.

Al'ike Gett'syc'kote

« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Necropost! Anywho... I actually have some progress on the one blade that I had painted. Had it sitting wrapped in a bag wrapped with painters tape for about a week or so, waiting for me to decide what I wanted to do with the handle. Decided to use my new favourite technique that I've been using: BONE! From the bag wrap, there's an impression made on the blade now, but I'm going to leave it as is. I did a brown wash on the blade just to dirty it up a tiny bit.

Here's the pics:

Next step: Clear coat, and leather wraps.

Armour Plans
Soft Parts WIP

B.E.A.R.D.S. #096
E.R.A. #040
C.A. #74

External Distractions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!