Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bare Col'Mera's first blaster WIP

• 12 Replies

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Bare Col'Mera's first blaster WIP
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Howdy, vode,

A couple of days ago I posted a picture of a Tommy gun  I had intended to modify into my first weapon, but after some considerations for the resources I had, I realized I didn't have the tools or materials to fix some of the issues, in particular making the grip larger and fixing the gaps that would be created by removing existing pieces from the original toy.

So, I instead went shopping today, and found a gun that I think holds more promise:

It was $10 for the whole set.  I'll pack the other pieces away for possible use at a later time.  As for the rifle, I really liked the boxy body, and it doesn't look particularly Nerfy to me.  I'll have to sand down some texture and fill in some screw holes, but on the whole I don't feel there is too much that needs to be altered about the body.  I am very new at this, though, so feel free to correct me.

I then picked up some plumbing supplies from Lowe's, gutted the rifle, and made this mockup:

What do y'all think so far?  I don't have a frame of reference for this, so I don't know if I'm on the right track or not. 

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2015, 11:46 AM by Bare Col'Mera » Logged

steck

Re: Bare Col'Mera's first blaster WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:17 PM »
In my opinion so far, its a good start. I dont really like the line texture, I would say take it off of the grip, stock, and the upper receiver at least. I also think for the stock, if you think you can do it, cut the orange bit away from the rest, fill the gaps, and add a couple of bits of tubing to extend it back, possibly if you want more work while slimming it down and rounding it a bit. Some details need to be added to the receiver area, a magazine area of some sort wouldn't look bad for holding the power pack, then some general schwartzy stuff. I really like this so far, It looks like a good way to go for a long rifle.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:17 PM »
In my opinion so far, its a good start. I dont really like the line texture, I would say take it off of the grip, stock, and the upper receiver at least. I also think for the stock, if you think you can do it, cut the orange bit away from the rest, fill the gaps, and add a couple of bits of tubing to extend it back, possibly if you want more work while slimming it down and rounding it a bit. Some details need to be added to the receiver area, a magazine area of some sort wouldn't look bad for holding the power pack, then some general schwartzy stuff. I really like this so far, It looks like a good way to go for a long rifle.
Leave the texture.  It'll look better in black, and add a layer of complexity to an otherwise simple and boxy body style.  Greeblies wouldn't hurt, though, and extending the stock isn't a bad idea.

atinvizsla

• Ni cuy Ne'haryc
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:36 AM »
Maybe it's just me but I'd add a second, shorter tube underneath the first. Something like what was there before, but right up against the first, without that weird little plastic bit between. Does that make sense? *is obviously a melee person*

"Believe me... I have a lot of pent up emotions I need to let out with a blaster to someone's face."

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I'd add a second, shorter tube underneath the first. Something like what was there before, but right up against the first, without that weird little plastic bit between. Does that make sense? *is obviously a melee person*
Perfect sense, and not a bad call.  Make sure the pipe and barrel are connected somehow, maybe with a bracket.

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Update:

Detail of how the stock will look when attached:

With the glue drying on the scope, I thought I'd take the chance to share an updated photo.  Most of the construction is done aside from attaching the extended stock.  I considered the idea of a second, lower barrel, but decided against it for the time being, going instead with a cap for the barrel hole in the body.  It'll be a simple matter to replace it if I change my mind, though.  I'm trying not to make it look too busy, but does it come across as too boring and plain as a result?  I'm not a fan of just gluing random electronics to it just for the sake of more detail, and I don't know of anything that will particularly add to the overall piece.

Trying to bondo the seams in the ribbed areas was frustrating, but I think I made some good progress at making them less noticeable.  Only a coat of paint will tell for sure, though.

Speaking of paint, I picked up a gray primer, a metallic paint for an underlayer, and a flat black.  I'm not sure the best way to weather it, though, aside from toothpaste and sandpaper.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Nah, vod, it looks solid!

And sandpaper or dry-brushing will be your best methods for weathering.

steck

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:26 AM »
I agree, it looks ok now and will probably look a lot better with a coat or two of paint.

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Here it is with the completed construction:

And here it is primed:

I think it turned out rather well, aside from some deep recesses that didn't get a very thick coat.  Up next is the metallic base layer.  All I have on hand is a brilliant silver, though, so it'll be interesting to see how that looks.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Looking bad-shebs, vod! :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Yeah, I have nothing negative to post about this. Maybe adding a coiled cable (like a phone cord), as you would see on some Swarzy rifles, but I got nothing else.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Bare Col'Mera

• "BAH-reh"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:59 PM »
Silver undercoat:

Black coat and weathered:

Maybe I could have done more weathering, but I thought restraint was important (my plastic plates had a little too much weathering, and I didn't want to make that mistake again).  At some points, I had some trouble oversanding, so some of the more pronounced ridges had to be touched up with a silver sharpie.

I'm pleased with this for a finished product once I get a matte clear coat on it.  But I'm always open to suggestions.

As for more greeblies, I'll consider it.  I have a box of electronics and stuff I've picked up that I could tinker with.  My concern, though, would be my weapon not matching with the rest of my kit, since my build is rather basic. (WIP pic)

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2015, 11:50 AM by Bare Col'Mera » Logged

Vol Dem-Orton

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2015, 07:02 PM »
For a first attempt this looks better than some "seasoned attempts".  Great looking rifle!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!