Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Using old computer parts to create Rangefinder lights. (Tutorial)

• 5 Replies

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Posted a video tutorial on my FB fan page yesterday on how to wire LED's into your rangefinder, use a small momentary switch to make them position-controlled.  All the parts can be scavenged from old computer front-panels, so the potential cost is almost nothing.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xap1/v/t42.1790-2/10982510_821679004569758_1602562028_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InJlc180MjZfY3JmXzIzX21haW5fMy4wX3NkIn0%3D&rl=621&vabr=345&oh=a32634a7cf0f521bfcc27d073fd61b3d&oe=54EF6137

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
You don't necessarily need to use this strictly for an RF.  It's an extremely versatile circuit & parts.

For example; you could mount an LED light on the side of your helmet, change out the Reset switch for the Power switch, epoxy a small square of sintra to the head of the switch and mount that in the bucket near your mouth.  Now you have a tongue switch that activates an LED torch-light on your helmet.    :)

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
Interesting concept. I will have to think about that one for sure. But...tongue power? That doesn't sound particularly hygienic. lol

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
Thanks for that tutorial !  ;D

Tongue switch looks funny ! Always carry your chewing gum with you when you troop ! Then your bucket will smell like a flower :)

I'm looking forward to complete this build ! I'm a complete noob in electronics... But well, in french we say "C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron" (equivalent of "Practice makes perfect" :) )

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Cin Cabur

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Get a FB error following the link.  Is it set to "friends" only?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!