Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

CrazyD's First WOF build WIP

• 42 Replies
CrazyD's First WOF build WIP
« on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Hey guys,

This has been my first build of anything on this scale so far. I have used 2-3mm thick card which I get in my job as a protective layer for the paper we order. Rather than let it go to waste, I got my little digits on it.

I used mostly just PVA but after doing this for a week or two, I got annoyed at the waiting time for drying so I have switched to something more faster. I did use hot glue at one point but only for problem areas.

I went out to buy some nice clamps and some easier little ones also, this came in really handy for just holding the form after using an old perfume bottle to spray the card to get it a little damp.

The irregular shapes on the helmet are from my own stupidity, I didn't correctly scale the dome triangles and thus have resulted in some pretty hefty gaps and some differences in height so I just custom cut some card, with varying thickness and stuck it right on.

I feel like I'm getting close to the stage where I can use filler/ resin and the like but from personal experience I would like to know what everyone else doing the card version has done? As I live in the UK, it is hard to find items such as bondo so I was thinking along the lines of Polyfilla. When it comes to using resin also, resin outside and then resin and fibreglass sheets on the inner?

Cheers guys! :)

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: CrazyD's First WOF scratch build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:55 PM »

When it comes to using resin also, resin outside and then resin and fibreglass sheets on the inner?

Correct. Also, Bondo is a brand in the US, the equivalent body filler over here is ultima and you can get it from Halfords etc.
Great progress on the bucket too

« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Correct. Also, Bondo is a brand in the US, the equivalent body filler over here is ultima and you can get it from Halfords etc.
Great progress on the bucket too

Cheers for the info, I'll go see if I can pick some up during the week. I've been cutting out the right side ear cap. Not sure what to make the RF stalk out of, I don't particularly like the idea of that being made out of card.

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Aluminium strip, pipe or conduit? That's what I'm using for future builds. Pipe or conduit if I want to light the RF.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Started a bit more on the ears and the visor area today, the right side ear are is hollow, I had enough of shaping it down with a blade so I cheated.

Almost ready for resigning on the outside once I get this visor cut out. But not all the way ;)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:19 PM »
I'd say not to cut most of the visor out;however, due to the thickness of your cardstock Id say to make sure you get good coverage of your resin on that thing. It looks fantastic so far and I'm sure you'll fall into a love hate relationship in the next few steps doing all the bondo and sanding steps. I'll say it's worth it and not to get discouraged now so that it's there for you later. I'm going to be working on my 8th helmet here pretty soon and I'm sure at one point I'll want to throw it across the room! Lol

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:20 AM »
I've just trimmed out majority of the visor but left an inch or so at the bottom, I'll use some mdf hot glued on the inside to act as a support so the t section won't warp, I'll take it slow and go in a few layers. The most I have been discouraged was with the main dome section but some careful thinking and it turned out alright :)

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2015, 04:51 PM »
So I bought some stuff! Listing as follows:

Mount card matt (for spillages)
Vinyl gloves
2 sets of 5 brushes
Mixing sticks
Resin
Fibreglass mat
Hardener
Body filler
Respirator
Clear cups

Not seen in the image is spare clothes, safety glasses.

Also I know this is wrong but still it made me read it a few times

The helmet hasn't got the visor cut out all the way, it's still got an inch of support at the bottom. Also the top of the dome does have some gaps but the fibreglass and filler should be enough right?

Am I missing anything?

Some day :)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Once you get it hardend and the cloth inside the bondo on the outside with cover the gaps. You are good to go!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:21 AM »
So here we are! Managed to get most of it fibreglassed, just waiting for the cheeks to set but here are the update pics

Poor mans, helmet stand

Resin coat outside

Resin cost inside

Overlapping and extending the fibre glass matting to the rim and beyond!

Like I said, now doing the cheek areas, I've also done the inner dome area as well, but I have loads of little stray strands of resigned fibres, any easy way to get these out apart from using some scissors or something more heavy duty?

Re: CrazyD's First WOF build WIP
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2015, 02:10 PM »
More progress made with dremeling and body filler!
I used a rasp to help round out some of the high spots and make everything kind of smoother, after doing this, some of the card I used was exposed, just using water and wood glue applied to these areas, seems to have worked out quite nicely.

Dremeled out some of the visor with cutting and sanding rotary bits, used a coarse file for the smaller areas I couldn't get to.

First layer of body filler applied, I know it was way too much but at the time I thought it wasn't so bad, I'm paying for it now...

I'm having a bit of trouble with the cheeks, they seem to blend into one piece, not really the filler doing it but just the card, any suggestions for making it look more angled? Apart from more filler?

More tomorrow, after I can drive to my local large hardware store for more sand paper and small file set!

Talos Kot

• Cry Havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war !
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:23 PM »
nice work mate ... filling and sanding, sanding and filling.... sanding and more sanding is the most labor intensive part  but bear with it this is shaping up to be a nice helmet !   the finishing  and attention to detail makes a quality job !! ;)

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:53 AM »
nice work mate ... filling and sanding, sanding and filling.... sanding and more sanding is the most labor intensive part  but bear with it this is shaping up to be a nice helmet !   the finishing  and attention to detail makes a quality job !! ;)

Tell me about it, ive gotten to the point where I have spent more time sanding than cutting these pieces out now. Do you have any suggestions for the front of the dome and the triangles? (not sure if they have a dedicated name) I would imagine I just drill a few holes very delicately, and then file away?

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I use a combination of very fine routing bit for a Dremel and a scalpel blade to carve sharp lines, just be careful  ;)

« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I use a combination of very fine routing bit for a Dremel and a scalpel blade to carve sharp lines, just be careful  ;)

Is there any particular dremel but you would recommend for body filler, cardboard and fibre glass layers? I have a feeling the drill bit I have might struggle.

Talos Kot

• Cry Havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war !
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #17 on: Jun 21, 2015, 01:03 PM »
It's been a while, I have been busy with a lot of other things, plus I need a new respirator and I'm just being lazy about not getting one so I have had a hold on this project.

Here is what I have so far:

I have two questions, does the rear of the helmet need a bit more material? from a 3rd on angle from the rear, it looks like the front has got a bit more of a vertical curve than the rear, thoughts? Also where I have eagerly sanded too much, I have exposed a bit of card fibre, is there anyway of covering over this other than with car body filler?

I do plan on filling in most of the pits and scratches but I will leave a few for some character.

cheers!

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:05 PM »
General shape of the bucket looks just fine to me, no obvious mis-shaping. I'm afraid it's back to the filling and sanding when you expose the underlying material but from past experience I can recommend excavating those areas more than you need to or odds are you'll end up with a lump or exposing the card again.

« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Right, sanded down to a reasonable amount, still some spots maybe to fill. OR! Should I keep them as a bit of character to it? Maybe add some around to other parts of the helmet and create more pronounced areas of "damage". Any advice is always welcome and helpful to me. I did kind of screw up the angles on the cheek areas. Some defined paint lines should m

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2015, 05:12 PM »
More progress!

tried to give it more of a battle weathered appearance, did a bit of over spray to create a blaster deflection kind of thing :S Also some shiny stuff, still needs more work.

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Looking awesome so far!

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Well, got quite a bit done. Got the antenna magnet and bolted on, ear caps on, did some two tone metal effects and the first layer of colour on also, too much battle damage/ wear?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!