Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hereticdaves Soft Parts

• 17 Replies

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Hereticdaves Soft Parts
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Hi all, I'm halfway through my bucket build and while the layers of paint dry I'll be working on other bits and pieces for my kit. Last night I started a neck seal from an old pair of work trousers that got ripped. I'm going for a plain fabric neck seal that closes with velcro on the side above the shoulder, with some thin plastic sheet (ignore the doodles) inside to keep the shape (like a shirt collar). It's hand sewn and this is where I got to last night:

I'm going to put some sort of decorative non-functional-but-looks-good fastener on the overlapping flap to finish it off before attaching it to a cut up t-shirt or similar for a separate neck seal. The crl's are pretty vague on the design of neck seals, I'm assuming that as long as they cover your neck and look swarzy then they're fine?

I also got a boiler suit, gloves and boots but the picture I have of those is pretty dark (it's also in my vok'chi thread) so I'll get a better one and post that up. The boots have a zip on the inside but I have a plan for some armour that will hide it.

Edit: The boiler suit has a rear pocket and ruler pocket on the leg, if these aren't going to be covered will they have to be removed?

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2015, 06:00 PM by hereticdave » Logged
OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Hereticdaves Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:37 AM »
The crl's are pretty vague on the design of neck seals, I'm assuming that as long as they cover your neck and look swarzy then they're fine?

Edit: The boiler suit has a rear pocket and ruler pocket on the leg, if these aren't going to be covered will they have to be removed?

Neckseal - pretty much. Good use for old stuff :)

Pockets - The ruler pocket could be left if you plan to add some sort of tools, but if you're not going to use it or have armour covering it then it's best removed. The one on the back is best off unless you're having a kama which will hide it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2015, 04:34 AM »
I started work on a Girth Belt last night, I'm worried that it's a little thin at 40mm, but I couldn't see anything in the CRL's about a specific thickness:

Aslo got some gloves which I'll add hand plates too:

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Looks good to me. If you do need something wider you could use a material sash and then the girthbelt on top. Can look quite nice if you get colours that compliment and draw out the armour.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Cool, I've gone for the belt style in the pic so I can loop trophies through the holes :D

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM »
The neck seal can be anything that covers up your neck so no skin can be seen. What you've got going there looks like it'll work fine.

Definitely remove the butt pockets from the suit unless they are completely hidden, like with a kama as was suggested.

The width of the girth is completely up to you, but usually wider ones work better. Kris' suggestion of using over a sash to add width is a great idea - you can never have too many layers on a Mando!

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 06:24 AM »
Not posted an update in here for a while, RL has been busy of late, but I was able to finish the macrame belt that makes up my girth belt. I decided it wasn't thick enough so I made a second one:

Just need to add some backing material and call it done. I've got a few bits and bobs that I can add through the gaps in the belt to use as trophies too.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Unfortunately there is no like button on here :P

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:14 AM »
Cheers Kris. My better half bought me some boots back in february:

I've not had a chance to do much with them except wear them in, but last night i made some armour plates to go on them and cover the zip:

They'll be held in place with magnets and clips so i can use the boots for non-mando related activities. I just need to round off the edges and refine the shape a bit, but as my first ever attempt at shaping PVC sheet I'm happy with the results so far.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Those boots look great. Very similar to the style boot I'm looking for.

Sevrin Cerar

• Forumalorian
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Don't forget to check if you're boot armour digs into your feet when walking.

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Long time no update, I got some new boots and added a strip ala boba fett style.

Kris Jasra has very kindly started work on a flak vest for me so I can get this build back on track!

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Very nice. I looked at doing that for mine and some part of me went; 'hand stitching?' and promptly died.

(and Kris Jasra is deadly and insane, do not insult them by applying the word kind ;):P But yeah, busy this week but I'll send you next weeks free days as soon as I get them so we can get it finished.)

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2015, 01:21 PM »
An awesome tip from Kris Jasra and I've attached my neck seal straight to the collar of my flight suit:

And I started collecting bits for my belt, so far I have some ammo pouches, bears tooth and wookie braid:

What else do people normally have on their belts?

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2015, 05:44 AM »
I think I'm nearly finished with my soft parts. Completed the sash last night to go under the belts. It uses snap buttons on the back hidden under some fabric. Its all held in place by my belts at the moment, will see how that holds up over time though...

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:07 PM »
Update, I made a cape:

It was a quick throw together so I could go to Wales Comicon without a back plate.

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Kris Jasra

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2015, 03:03 PM »
Oooooooh, and later when you've got a backplate, a few more holes and rips in that and the bright yellow will show through really nicely if you leave it in place :P

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2015, 03:41 PM »
That's the plan :D

OM# 1621
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!