Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kurshi Be'Jahaal - Now Upgrades (Working Photos on Pg 21)

• 319 Replies

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Colorblind Mando Needs Advice!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:30 PM »
My buddy and I have snips as well as a dremel with a few cutting wheels. Do you have a recommended method for cutting 3mm? And as always, I VERY much appreciate your help. You've been a big part of everything that I've been working on. Your insight is much appreciated! One day I hope to share the knowledge I learn with upcoming shinies as they ask questions.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:35 PM »
No problem, vod. It really is my pleasure. I'm still learning a lot myself and there's a lot of people who I owe all of this information to as well. That's what I love about this community. Anyway, ditch the snips. Trust me, it's a flawed method, lol. Burned through a bit of sintra before I realized that that was not an option. I would stay stick with the dremel. If you have to, an x-acto knife or utility knife works too but for that, make several passes over an area or else the cuts will come out bad. For the dremel, it'll cut through it easily but make sure to cut a decent amount of space away from your line to give you some wiggle room. It can be easy to make a mistake and that extra space helps a lot. It can be sanded down later too and any finishing touches will take very little time

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:51 PM »
I think that I'll do the utility knife idea first and see how that works out. I was worried that the dremel may melt the sintra a bit, but cutting away from my lines will minimize mistakes and sanding will clean it up.

And apparently the BEARDs section is off limits to me for some reason. I found a link to the app page, but also found another fellow who couldn't view it either. hmm...

Here's the page.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=83895.0

mobcake

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I think I know the issue. I believe that you have to be an Auxiliary member in order to view the Social Societies page. I know that there are some pages and parts of the forums that those without an Auxiliary membership cannot access and these must be some of them. I think that the membership can definitely be worth it, though. It has for me at least

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Auxiliary or an OM. Just forum members can't see certain boards.

Like your concept, and can understand your problem in coordinating colors. My sister is colorblind to green and purple.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #30 on: Mar 27, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Do you have to become an OM to join B.E.A.R.Ds or can auxiliary members do it too?

And being colorblind makes everything difficult. Haha.

mobcake

« Reply #31 on: Mar 27, 2015, 03:38 PM »
I am not sure. I know that there are some societies that you don't have to be an OM to join but I'm not sure about this one

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2015, 11:58 PM »
Some progress was made today with the armor planning! I used my old chest templates and scaled them down by a half an inch on the outside and then traced them on some posterboard (some call it cardstock, correct?). Then I modified everything from there on one big sheet so that I could ensure proper spacing. Here's what I came up with.

Next it was time for the test fitting. The thicker paper does not contour my body very well, but I think sizing and spacing look good. I'd like to get a yes or no from some of you before I start cutting up sintra though!

The spacing between plates is about a quarter of an inch. I should have darkened the negative space to make it more visible. Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2015, 09:32 AM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

mobcake

« Reply #33 on: Mar 28, 2015, 12:04 AM »
Those are some extremely precise templates, vod! I think that's a really good idea though to get a good picture of placement and spacing, I'll probably use that for idea for a second kit whenever I make one, lol. But I think the chest pieces might be a bit too wide. It doesn't look like much but I still get that feel from looking at them. Maybe a quarter inch off the sides at the most from each chest piece. I might be wrong though because they might not be conforming entirely to your body the way the actual sintra will since it's all one large piece of paper. I think the rest looks pretty spot on. Keep up the awesome work!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #34 on: Mar 28, 2015, 12:31 AM »
I have slight OCD and have to make sure everything is perfect! I know spacing seems to be one of the biggest issues with armor fitting. It seems like improper spacing can lead to improper sizing. I thought this might help keep that issue to a minimum since I know they fit together like puzzle pieces! But I'm thinking they look wider in the picture than they did in the mirror when I was checking them out from different angles. I'll maybe cut them out and fit them individually next time.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:22 AM »
I'd just trim about a 1/4" off the sides; otherwise, it looks spot on! I'm borrowing this idea for my next set. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #36 on: Mar 28, 2015, 11:23 AM »
I'd just trim about a 1/4" off the sides; otherwise, it looks spot on! I'm borrowing this idea for my next set. :D

Thanks! I'll probably get them trimmed down tomorrow and try for another photo! And I'm glad you like this idea! Try it out for sure!

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #37 on: Mar 28, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Another suggestion I'd make is to put on your coveralls and, if you have it, your vest.  That'll give us all a better idea of how the plates will sit.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Another suggestion I'd make is to put on your coveralls and, if you have it, your vest.  That'll give us all a better idea of how the plates will sit.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't have either, vest or coveralls, so tomorrow I might go pick up some duck cloth and do a vest before a sizing picture is taken again. Thanks for the tip!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I'm going the route of a double layered duck cloth vest. How many yards should I buy? And what is your preferred pattern/style?

mobcake

« Reply #40 on: Mar 29, 2015, 01:10 PM »
I'm not sure about Pattern/Style. Although there is a tutorial under the tutorial section. As for length, I'm unsure as well but download the RetailMeNot app or go on their website and look for Joanns (assuming you're buying from there). There's a 40% off coupon for any in-store regular priced item. That might helps

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #41 on: Mar 29, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Right on! JoAnn's is where I'm headed now!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I'm struggling so bad with the tutorial that pointoforigin has done. It's the sticky thread in the soft parts section. Am I supposed to print his picture out and go from there? I don't think it's in a life size PDF format to print it to size. I can't figure this out and it's driving me nuts!

mobcake

« Reply #43 on: Mar 29, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Struggled from the same issue, vod. I would post in the soft parts section about it. You'll get more experienced people telling you what to do, lol

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #44 on: Mar 29, 2015, 11:06 PM »
So I finally have a potential color scheme. I had to do it in paint so that I could google the colors I was wanting and apply them to my mando. You'll notice there's no shading or anything like that. But this is what I've come up with. If it's a terrible color scheme for a Mando on Ryloth, just tell me haha. The only thing I've committed to is I have the Navy Blue duck cloth for the vest now. I am open to all suggestions!

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2017, 08:52 PM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

mobcake

Re: Colorblind Mando Needs Advice! Paint scheme up on pg 3 now!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 30, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Duck cloth is easy to dye so you don't have to be entirely committed to it. But I think that the colors definitely match Ryloth pretty well, especially the skin tones of a lot of Twi'leks. I'm also excitied to see how the arrows will look on the chest plate. Pretty sick color scheme

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #46 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Your colours are looking good vod :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2015, 12:10 PM »
Duck cloth is easy to dye so you don't have to be entirely committed to it. But I think that the colors definitely match Ryloth pretty well, especially the skin tones of a lot of Twi'leks. I'm also excitied to see how the arrows will look on the chest plate. Pretty sick color scheme

Thank you, thank you! I plan on making the arrows look a little different when it comes to the real deal. I'm extremely limited in paint though, haha.

Your colours are looking good vod :D

Whew. I'm relieved that I got two thumbs up on my colors. I was worried that I had combined a bunch of ugly and unrelated ones. Thanks for the encouragement and confirmation!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #48 on: Apr 08, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Can typical shemaghs be worn? With the traditional checkered like pattern?

Straka Zulu

« Reply #49 on: Apr 08, 2015, 10:51 PM »
You'd have to check the CRL's, but I thought that they could, as long as they match the asthetic of the whole kit.  Don't quote me on it, though.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!