Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kurshi Be'Jahaal - Now Upgrades (Working Photos on Pg 21)

• 319 Replies

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Colorblind Mando's Armor WIP
« Reply #100 on: Apr 20, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Backplate looks nice vod!  Have fun doing your homework  ;D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #101 on: Apr 20, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I can't wait to see how the back plate's going to look with the parts you're putting on it!
Backplate looks nice vod!  Have fun doing your homework  ;D
Back plate looks spot on, vod!

Haha. Thanks everyone. I've been playing around with some ideas for what I want my backplate to look like and I've come up with a few different ways of laying out the same thing. Here's what I'm thinking. Now I won't be using that guitar pedal, but making something similar size and shape with knobs.

This has been my original idea. I'd shorten the PVC, repaint the gauge or replace it with an LED or something, run the tube to my helmet, and repaint it all to blend.

But I also kind of like these ideas too. This one appears to have the faceplate connected to the PVC tube, making it look like a system of some sort. The guitar pedal (or sintra box) would have a metal wire harness going from it to the PVC as well.

And then there's this way which I like as well.

Which idea appeals to you all the most? Or which one looks more like it actually serves a purpose versus just being all stuck together for the heck of it?

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #102 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:05 PM »
I really like the asymmetry of the third one. 

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #103 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:16 PM »
I really like the asymmetry of the third one.

That one has seemed to be a popular idea. They liked it at our clan armor party this past weekend. It might just end up being what I go with! Thanks, Vod!

Zekk Voss

• Talyc-Cuyan, the crack-shot speed junkie Mando
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #104 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:26 PM »
I'd say go with #3 as well, vod.

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #105 on: Apr 21, 2015, 03:08 AM »
I'm down with the third too. It just looks right lol

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #106 on: Apr 21, 2015, 05:25 AM »
Lol. It looks like it's #3 then!

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #107 on: Apr 24, 2015, 12:34 AM »
Late to the party I know, but I also like #3.

Also, you armor looks really good so far. Hard work pays off sometimes, huh?  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #108 on: Apr 24, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Late to the party I know, but I also like #3.

Also, you armor looks really good so far. Hard work pays off sometimes, huh?  :)

Haha hey! Thank you! You're never too late to the party here. My progress is always slow moving thanks to my OCD (and colder weather lately). I definitely appreciate the input. Three used to be my least favorite idea, but now it's growing on me!

Im hoping to get all of my hard parts cut put this weekend. I think I only have the knees left. But I also want to draw and cut plates for my hands and top of my boots. THEN I'll get to shaping everything!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #109 on: Apr 24, 2015, 06:16 AM »
Actually, I got to thinking... I found some gloves that may work for "armored" hands as well. These gloves apparently have a hard plastic backing on them. So if I remove the logo and repaint the back of the hands would these work? If not, no big deal!

Zekk Voss

« Reply #110 on: Apr 24, 2015, 07:16 AM »
According to the CRLs:

Full fingered or fingerless gloves are acceptable.
    Labels and brand names must be removed or covered.

So as long as you get that brand off of there, you're good!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #111 on: Apr 24, 2015, 07:28 AM »
According to the CRLs:

Full fingered or fingerless gloves are acceptable.
    Labels and brand names must be removed or covered.

So as long as you get that brand off of there, you're good!

Beautiful! I knew the brand needed to come off, I just didn't know if these looked too tacky or kinda silly for the kit. Thanks Vod!

Zekk Voss

« Reply #112 on: Apr 24, 2015, 07:40 AM »
I think they'd look pretty good on your kit since it has a hint of a republic commando in other places such as the backpack.   

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #113 on: Apr 24, 2015, 11:38 AM »
A lot of people have used similar gloves, like ones for paintball. I think our Alor'ad has a set.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #114 on: Apr 24, 2015, 12:27 PM »
Now, hypothetically speaking; if I were on the Price is Right, and needed to guess the actual retail price of those gloves without going over, what would be a good bid?

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Aria

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #115 on: Apr 24, 2015, 01:23 PM »
I like the armored glove look if you repaint the plastic on the back. Probably easier then making armor for a set of gloves too!
Good luck with the shaping this weekend....so much fun...

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #116 on: Apr 24, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I think they'd look pretty good on your kit since it has a hint of a republic commando in other places such as the backpack.   

Awesome. I'm alright with keeping the Republic Commando idea going!

A lot of people have used similar gloves, like ones for paintball. I think our Alor'ad has a set.

And it's good to know that other people use something similar. I'd like to see how they work out. 

Now, hypothetically speaking; if I were on the Price is Right, and needed to guess the actual retail price of those gloves without going over, what would be a good bid?

If you were wanting to guess a price, guess under $14 and add about $3 for shipping Haha!

I like the armored glove look if you repaint the plastic on the back. Probably easier then making armor for a set of gloves too!
Good luck with the shaping this weekend....so much fun...

I might go ahead and cut a piece of hand armor from my seemingly endless supply of sintra and if I don't need it, maybe someone else can use it. But I'm kind of excited to start shaping! That's when it all starts coming together!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #117 on: Apr 28, 2015, 10:23 PM »
I made a teeny bit of progress tonight. I shaped my backplate a little bit and tested out my primer, silver and base color on some sintra scraps. I was told not to mix brands but I don't think any of them are lacquer based. The backplate isn't 100% how I like it, but it's not too far off. Opinions are welcome! I know I need to bend in the tabs by my kidneys a little better.

Also here's my paint on the sintra. I'm excited to get this going!

Zekk Voss

« Reply #118 on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:51 PM »
That backplate's molding is spot on.  Shake up those cans when you're ready!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #119 on: Apr 29, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Back plates are what cause the most headaches, but yours looks good.  Two years on, and mine is STILL a pain in my shebs.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #120 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Backplate looks good vod!  Like you mentioned already, the tabs at the sides could use a little bit more bending, also, your colours look great :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Brax Sha Ark

• socially awkward bounty hunter
« Reply #121 on: Apr 29, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Your kit so far looks good! Can't wait to see it finished  :D

Aria

« Reply #122 on: Apr 29, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Backplate looks good so far! They're hard to get to fit perfectly, but it looks like you've got a really good start.
And yeah, I'm liking the colors. Can't wait to see the whole thing painted.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #123 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:04 PM »
A big thank you to everyone for giving your opinion and input! It is GREATLY appreciated! It's good to know that I'm on the right track so far. And here I was thinking the backplate was going to be too difficult. I almost decided to skip it and go the Cape route.

And I checked my paint today. The brown rustoleum didn't set like I had hoped. It was still tacky over my krylon silver. Looks like I need to find a similar color in the krylon brand and try again. I used dark taupe, I believe.

Zekk Voss

« Reply #124 on: Apr 29, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Yep, mixing paint brands generally does not work.  I was about to point that out, but it looks like you figured it out yourself.  I'm curious, have you decided on a pattern yet?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!