Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kurshi Be'Jahaal - Now Upgrades (Working Photos on Pg 21)

• 319 Replies

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
Re: Colorblind Mando's Armor WIP
« Reply #125 on: Apr 29, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Yeah it definitely is a pain in the shebs lol. I keep procrastinating working on mine entirely and will probably save that for last. But yours is looking pretty good. Everything you needed to do, you've already covered. Can't wait to see it painted!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Alright. New plan everyone. I can't find a brown that I like from krylon. I already have krylon primer down on my plates and don't know if I should strip it and damage my sintra. Even if I can strip it safely, I'm actually more excited about my new idea. So here it is...

I'm thinking about doing a hostile environment theme. Most likely a Raxus Prime themed paint scheme. That will incorporate my backplate idea pretty well I think. I want to keep my red oxide krylon and use that maybe as my main color. Will my Navy vest still work? I'd like to think so. But my original dilemma of compatible colors comes back into play.

What flight suit color and accent colors should I add to this new kit? I'm thinking of eventually tying in a Mandalorian Protectors idea with the goal of a hostile environment brigade.

Thoughts? Ideas?

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Navy goes pretty well with most shades of red, especially deeper ones.  When you say "red oxide" are you talking about the rust protection paint?  Cause that shade should go with navy quite nicely.  For your flightsuit I would probably go with tan or charcoal gray, but for sure a neutral colour since you will be using two colours.  You could do your accents in navy to match the vest or pretty much any neutral colour, black might be nice.  All that said, it's your kit, so think about how you want everything to fit together!  :D  I hope this helps some   :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Zekk Voss

• Talyc-Cuyan, the crack-shot speed junkie Mando
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2015, 11:39 PM »
I was about to say the same.  Go for it vod!

Since you're going for hazardous environment now, perhaps you could add a second gas mask style hose to your helmet.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Awesome! You guys are the best! I'm thinking that I like those ideas. Tan flight suit, Navy vest, red oxide for my main color and then Navy and like an orange yellow type color for accent? Since I can't quite tell what colors I'm looking at, I had to ask what colors are most predominant on Raxus Prime. That's how I thought maybe the orange yellow color might be okay too.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Zekk Voss

« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2015, 12:39 AM »
That sounds good to me! 

Whenever I picture kit colors like that, I kinda see a crazy stripe pattern going on, especially if it's for camouflage reasons.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2015, 09:59 AM »
Orange-yellow should fit in nicely, just don't use a shade that's really bright and you should be good!

That sounds good to me! 

Whenever I picture kit colors like that, I kinda see a crazy stripe pattern going on, especially if it's for camouflage reasons.

Lol Zekk, are we going to be seeing a rainbow tiger mando soon?   :P

Zekk Voss

« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2015, 10:09 AM »
hah, well not exactly.  The blue could be used for the details such as the visor color, shoulder bells, and cheeks.

But yes, vertical tiger stripes please!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Haha. I'm not sure if I'm real crazy about vertical tiger stripes! But I DID get a little bit accomplished today. I tried my paints on another scrap piece of sintra. They're layered grey primer, silver, and then my red oxide. I'll show you how it turned out. I also gave my first attempt at some battle damage. I used a toothpick to spread some toothpaste on the silver. And we'll, you know how it's done. So here's what I came up with.

I took two shots. One on a darker background and one on a lighter background.

And then I ran a line of Navy on the base color.

I didn't have time to blackwash anything, but I'm happy with this so far. I'm still trying to find a good orange/yellow that I like. But that's what I managed to accomplish today Haha. 

Zekk Voss

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2015, 11:23 PM »
Your weathering technique is pretty on point.  The only other thing I'd suggest is to sand the edges of the plates to make them look a bit worn down.  I think the yellow/orange will bring the whole scheme together pretty nicely.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2015, 11:26 PM »
Your weathering technique is pretty on point.  The only other thing I'd suggest is to sand the edges of the plates to make them look a bit worn down.  I think the yellow/orange will bring the whole scheme together pretty nicely.

Thanks! This wasn't an actual plate. Just a scrap I had lying around. My plates are all smooth and slightly rounded on the edges. I wanted everyone's opinions because I have someone that seems to think that the navy does not fit at all. Do you see a problem with it?

Zekk Voss

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2015, 11:41 PM »
It depends on where you'd put it.  I'd use it sparingly, like how Boba uses yellow in two or three places on his kit, personally.  As long as your primary colors are orange and oxide it should fit well.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18 PM »
It depends on where you'd put it.  I'd use it sparingly, like how Boba uses yellow in two or three places on his kit, personally.  As long as your primary colors are orange and oxide it should fit well.

^^^ This

Good job on the weathering!  It can be pretty fun slapping toothpaste all over stuff  :D

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I'll third what they're saying about the weathering.

I do really like those colors together though! Can't wait to see it on your actual kit.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Thanks Vode! After the gym tonight I'm HOPING to get the rest of my armor shaped so I can get this rolling. I'm having difficulty finding a proper shade of yellow with Krylon paints, so I may have to do a few light layers of both yellow and orange to give the right look.

Unless metallic gold would look okay, then I could use that instead. I hate this colorblind thing. Every color looks good together through my eyes Haha.

Zekk Voss

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2015, 06:23 PM »
lol nah, not metallic gold.  Try oranges if you can't find a good yellow.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Have you looked at Walmart?  Sometimes I've found that their selection of Krylon is better than the hardware/paint shops.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2015, 10:15 PM »
lol nah, not metallic gold.  Try oranges if you can't find a good yellow.

Have you looked at Walmart?  Sometimes I've found that their selection of Krylon is better than the hardware/paint shops.

Well... I've found gloss pumpkin orange Haha. That's all the luck I've had this far. But I've got a progress report! I got my knees and shins done as well as most of the armor shaped!

I put real damage on the shin plates. I need to do the same to the knees.

I also unintentionally roasted my shoulder bell. Oops! Blaster damage anyone?

Also wondering if I should keep the idea going on my shoulders that did with my shins and knees? That raised piece that will get glued on top?

And finally here's my kit spread out. So close to being done! The buy'ce still needs work, but that'll come in time. And my gaunts aren't pictured because they're still rough.

Overall, a good day for me!

Zekk Voss

« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2015, 10:21 PM »
That raised piece is a good idea for sure.  I endorse your pre-paint weathering!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2015, 10:24 PM »
That raised piece is a good idea for sure.  I endorse your pre-paint weathering!

Awesome. Haha. I figured it'll give a real 3D look to my damage. Not so sure I wanna try the "blaster damage" again though.

Vailin Flynn

• Urge to kill...rising
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2015, 10:53 PM »

Awesome. Haha. I figured it'll give a real 3D look to my damage. Not so sure I wanna try the "blaster damage" again though.

Yeah, that's definitely a pain to try and erase. As a fellow fan of pre-painted weathering... I'm liking what I'm seeing :)

WiP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=88828.0

OM #1476
Cabur Akaata #16
M.A. #153 (24er)
House Buurenaar Verda -  Batuu Clan
OM Troops: 7

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Nice blaster damage!  And the damage you did for your shins looks like it happened naturally, great job!  As for the orange/yellow paint, maybe a store could order it for you?

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2015, 02:44 PM »
I like the idea of the raised strip continued on your shoulders, I think that will draw the whole kit together and make it look even more awesome. Love the weathering....the blast damage is very authentic looking! haha!

I'm having trouble finding the right yellow/gold color too, so maybe it's just a plot against mandos....but I was able to talk to a 'paint manager' person at menards the other day who told me they can order in a color for me, it'll just cost an arm and a leg. I don't know if that's something they do at all stores or just my local store, but you could check it out.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2015, 11:58 PM »
Nice blaster damage!  And the damage you did for your shins looks like it happened naturally, great job!  As for the orange/yellow paint, maybe a store could order it for you?

Thank you! That's kinda what I'm thinking. Every place I can do it online wants me to order cases of six. There's no way I need six cans!

I like the idea of the raised strip continued on your shoulders, I think that will draw the whole kit together and make it look even more awesome. Love the weathering....the blast damage is very authentic looking! haha!

I'm having trouble finding the right yellow/gold color too, so maybe it's just a plot against mandos....but I was able to talk to a 'paint manager' person at menards the other day who told me they can order in a color for me, it'll just cost an arm and a leg. I don't know if that's something they do at all stores or just my local store, but you could check it out.

Thanks! The more realistic the better in my opinion! And what specific color are you looking for? I was thinking of going with krylon's sunrise yellow, but I'm not sure if that's a good color or not. Krylon makes a pale yellow called "bright idea" that I like, but I don't think it'll tie in with my color scheme very well. I think a special order is the best bet for me as mandos you know, since the world hates us and all!

Yeah, that's definitely a pain to try and erase. As a fellow fan of pre-painted weathering... I'm liking what I'm seeing :)

Thanks Vod! I think it'll add a nice touch to the finished kit!

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2015, 12:11 AM »
And in other news, I got my gaunts cut, shaped and sanded. This would have been done yesterday, but like a dumb dumb, I used the same template for both arms... And... Well... I ended up with two left gaunts. I didn't notice this until I was done for the night and getting ready to sand them down. So, defeated and frustrated I went home. I fixed them today though!

They'll eventually get fastened together with piano hinge.

And yes, another slight burn mark. Haha.

I think all that's left is boot armor and plates for the back of my hands. Almost done! Then I get to greeble my backplate and gaunts!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!