Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kurshi Be'Jahaal - Now Upgrades (Working Photos on Pg 21)

• 319 Replies

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Colorblind Mando's Armor WIP
« Reply #175 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:20 AM »
The pic of your bucket isn't loading.... :(

Gaunts look cool....you gonna add some bondo to the sides to smooth them in a little bit?

Weather's been fun up here for working on kits too. I've made a sanding nest out of a tarp and my living room for the past few days.  :laugh:

Fixed it! Thank you! Yeah, the weather has not been cooperative for any outdoor work and I don't have a garage, so I'm kinda stuck. I definitely plan on slapping bondo on those gaunts to smooth it out but I'm not sure doing it inside is such a good idea. Most of my plates are ready for paint as well. So until I can borrow a garage, I'm doing what I can.

Here's an update on my left gauntlet topper. It needs painted and a few things added still, but unfortunately that's the second digital picture keychain that I've bought that doesn't power on.

Also while moving some stuff around I found my old pellet gun and a scope from my first .22 rifle. I think I've got the base for a blaster! Anything I need to do to render it inoperable before using it?

And tonight I made a trip to the hardware store and I gathered up the PVC needed to finish my oxygen scrubber/O2 tank. It's still rough and nothing is epoxied together yet. Here's what I've got:

I'll be running a hose (or two) from the scrubber to the bucket too. I'll be trying for the hazardous environment brigade after reaching OM status. Little steps!

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2016, 09:07 PM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #176 on: Jan 18, 2016, 11:57 PM »
I like the empty/full meter in the pack. The whole things looks sweet.

As far as the bucket, you might want to cut just a bit more off to be on the safe side. Are you going to put your visor behind the grill? That would be cool.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Aria

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #177 on: Jan 18, 2016, 11:57 PM »

As far as the bucket, you might want to cut just a bit more off to be on the safe side. Are you going to put your visor behind the grill? That would be cool.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #178 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:25 AM »

Thank you!  And Yes ma'am! The visor will go behind the grill and I'll be cutting it down just a bit more to be safe.

And my vest came in from K'raam Xrati. When I him get a hand, I'll get my plates lined up and attached to the vest. I'm way more excited than my face shows by the way Haha.

Aria

« Reply #179 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:30 PM »
Thank you!  And Yes ma'am! The visor will go behind the grill and I'll be cutting it down just a bit more to be safe.

And my vest came in from K'raam Xrati. When I him get a hand, I'll get my plates lined up and attached to the vest. I'm way more excited than my face shows by the way Haha.

Good looking vest! Take your time with the plates and remember the useful tip to lightly trace the plate shape onto the vest with pencil before attaching. It helps in the long run!!  :laugh: Also if you need to don't be afraid to get a tape measure out to space the plates...I've done that a few times in the past months spacing plates for my clan mates.

Yeah....I always look "thrilled" in my pictures too. We mandos just don't show outward excitement well, I guess. Haha!

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #180 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:03 AM »
 Yeah....I always look "thrilled" in my pictures too. We mandos just don't show outward excitement well, I guess. Haha!
[/quote]

Speak for yourself sis! I can't contain it!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #181 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:10 PM »
It's been a good weekend. A good bit of progress was made thanks to a break in the freezing temperatures.I finally got my backplate shaped exactly how I want it and ready to add my scrubber contraption to it. I was happy to be able to get silver down on a majority of my plates and start the main color coat on my chest. I used toothpaste as my masking fluid for weathering. I want to wash it all off and see what I've got, but I think I'd like another layer or two of paint before I do that. The shoulders didn't get finished because it started to rain as I was spraying my first coat on them. I'll try to finish both of these Tuesday when we have another nice day.

I was also able to make some headway with my blaster. The other side isn't entirely finished yet. But overall, I'm happy with what I got done today. I was hoping to start bondo, but the rain put a damper to that. (ha get it?)

Good looking vest! Take your time with the plates and remember the useful tip to lightly trace the plate shape onto the vest with pencil before attaching. It helps in the long run!!  :laugh: Also if you need to don't be afraid to get a tape measure out to space the plates...I've done that a few times in the past months spacing plates for my clan mates.

For the record, I'm extremely nervous to try to put my plates on. I'm really afraid I'll mess it up. I'd like another OM to help with the whole ordeal, but I'm pretty far from the entire clan. I'm basically in the outer rim. And that's warrior in us. You can't tell when we're going to buy you a soda or punch you in the face. We keep it interesting haha!  :P ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2016, 08:20 PM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

Aria

« Reply #182 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:49 AM »
Looks like a ton of great progress. I like the layers on the lower plates.
What is your color scheme again? I think we talked colors once, but I have forgotten.
For the record, I'm extremely nervous to try to put my plates on. I'm really afraid I'll mess it up. I'd like another OM to help with the whole ordeal, but I'm pretty far from the entire clan. I'm basically in the outer rim. And that's warrior in us. You can't tell when we're going to buy you a soda or punch you in the face. We keep it interesting haha!  :P ;D
Yeah, I hear ya. I was so nervous the first time...Everyone seems to be!! I've tried to help out the UM's up here when they need help plate spacing. I'm getting kinda good at it!  :P
I advise having at least one other pair of eyes there to help make sure things are straight and even, even if they're not a merc or costuming person. The outside opinion helps!
Start with the collar plate and work down. Take everything off and try it again if you have to.
Haha, that's probably it. We're just too successful a the warrior pokerface.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #183 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Here's an update on the beginning stages of weathering and damages effects. I'm worried that I may have put too many scratches and dings. If so, I might sand over a few spots and put some paint back on. Yah or nay?

Looks like a ton of great progress. I like the layers on the lower plates.
What is your color scheme again? I think we talked colors once, but I have forgotten.

I'll be doing the red oxide for my main colors. Then I have navy and pistachio for accent colors. I'm just not real sure which of those colors is going where yet I was thinking about navy knees and gaunts with the pistachio accents on my red, but I'm not sure yet.  ???

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #184 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:23 AM »
With a good black wash, those damage marks will look just fine.  Should see some kits out there, so dirty, you can't tell what their main color is!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Aria

« Reply #185 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Should see some kits out there, so dirty, you can't tell what their main color is!
By this he means my Ruus'alor.  ;)

I love the mythosur skull. That looks awesome. The rest of the damage looks pretty good...if I look at it a while it does look a little planned, but that's just my personal opinion. You could always take more off or put more on if you don't like it after you get OM.

Also, just a thought, but maybe think about navy on the red oxide, just to keep you from looking like a Christmas-themed mando?  Of course, if you have heavy weathering planned you will probably look fine.  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
« Reply #186 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:37 AM »
i really dig how much detail and thought you're putting into this build man, and you're attempting things i have been considering for my own build. nice one!

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #187 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Hmmmm, I'm liking this thread.

Posting so I get updates. Good job, vod!

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #188 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:54 PM »
By this he means my Ruus'alor.  ;)

I love the mythosur skull. That looks awesome. The rest of the damage looks pretty good...if I look at it a while it does look a little planned, but that's just my personal opinion. You could always take more off or put more on if you don't like it after you get OM.

Also, just a thought, but maybe think about navy on the red oxide, just to keep you from looking like a Christmas-themed mando?  Of course, if you have heavy weathering planned you will probably look fine.  :)

I definitely went a little wild with the dings and scratches. I may fill in a few, but I really want to give the appearance that I've been to Raxus Prime and back... Twice. Haha. So definitely major weathering. And don't worry. There will be navy on the plates. As a Messianic Jewish Mando, I definitely want to avoid the Christmas themed look Haha!  :P

i really dig how much detail and thought you're putting into this build man, and you're attempting things i have been considering for my own build. nice one!

Hmmmm, I'm liking this thread.

Posting so I get updates. Good job, vod!

Thank you both! That means a lot. Thanks for reading through all of our conversations and my brainstorming ideas. I'm glad you didn't lose interest. This kit has been changing ever since I planned it. It's evolved beyond what I had expected. And as my first costume, I've gained a little confidence and challenged myself along the way. So thank you again! I'd like to check out your WIPS as well!

Here's what I accomplished today. Major scuffs everywhere. As Ariarenee said, it may be excessive. But I plan on blackwashing the heck out of these plates too. I'm not sure if I should keep it, or fill some in! I'll see how the shoulders look and go from there.

Ty'renn Argos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #189 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:01 AM »
Those plates look good!
Did you plan on adding extra weathering effects or just the chips and bites you have now?

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #190 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:39 AM »
Those plates look good!
Did you plan on adding extra weathering effects or just the chips and bites you have now?

What other ideas were you thinking? I was planning on blackwashing and adding a burn mark or two, but I might be missing out on a cool idea.

Ty'renn Argos

« Reply #191 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:26 AM »
What other ideas were you thinking? I was planning on blackwashing and adding a burn mark or two, but I might be missing out on a cool idea.

Blackwash or fake rust effect were my options. I used a few more layers of paint to get the dents seem deep, so I asked out of mere curiosity!

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #192 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Here's what I accomplished today. Major scuffs everywhere. As Ariarenee said, it may be excessive. But I plan on blackwashing the heck out of these plates too. I'm not sure if I should keep it, or fill some in! I'll see how the shoulders look and go from there.

Don't worry about the weathering, once you scratch everything up and add the blackwash it will all fit together perfectly :D  Of course it is all based on personal preference though, do whatever makes you happiest with your kit

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Aria

« Reply #193 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:32 AM »
  Of course it is all based on personal preference though, do whatever makes you happiest with your kit
This. Mostly this.  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Ty'renn Argos

« Reply #194 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:35 AM »

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #195 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Not much news, but I put everything on and got an idea of sizing and spacing. It kinda gives me a visual of where I'm at in the process. I think I need to trim around the wings and ab plates, but other than that, I may be okay. 

Things I still need to acquire/make:
-Girth belt
-Belt for ammo pouches
-2 leather holsters
-Ammo pouches (2 on the way)
-Boot armor
-Thigh and bicep armor (will complete after getting OM status)

After seeing my scratch build helmet on in "full kit" I DEFINITELY need to trim around the bottom. It looked too small originally, so I added a bit for length. And now it looks stupid. Haha.

I'm going to redo my paint because I'm not happy with the weathering I've attempted. I've seen some great kits and been given a little insight on how those kits were weathered. There's still plenty more to do, like finish my scrubber on the backplate, bondo EVERYTHING,  tailor my suit, and refit some of my plates. My backplate really needs to be widened out a little. That looks terrible too Haha.

But here we are. Comments and suggestions are encouraged!

My saggy backside shot:

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016, 10:48 PM by Kurshi BeJahaal » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #196 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Repainting tip: when you go to repaint, don't bother sanding it down, just put the new stuff right on top of the old stuff. Free layering! ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #197 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Everything is looking good vod!  Aside from the things you have mentioned, I would also recommend trimming the two "tabs" on the ab plate a little so they line up better with the edges of your chest plate.  And I have a question as well: do you plan on adding "keyhole" slots on the back of you bucket?  I find they can help a bit with hearing, and on windy days allow a space where a bit of cool air can get in.

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #198 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Repainting tip: when you go to repaint, don't bother sanding it down, just put the new stuff right on top of the old stuff. Free layering! ;D

Got it! Will the current "chips" in the paint show through and make the new paint look pitted? If so, that may be cool and give it even more effect. I was thinking doing silver, black, and then the red with either navy or pistachio accents.

Everything is looking good vod!  Aside from the things you have mentioned, I would also recommend trimming the two "tabs" on the ab plate a little so they line up better with the edges of your chest plate.  And I have a question as well: do you plan on adding "keyhole" slots on the back of you bucket?  I find they can help a bit with hearing, and on windy days allow a space where a bit of cool air can get in.

Good call! I missed that. I'll definitely get those trimmed up! I left everything big in case I needed to do a little trimming. We all know it's easier to trim than to add!

And I wasn't planning on adding keyhole slots, but it may be a good idea. I have zero plans or have thought very little into ventilation and hearing for my bucket. I'll take your advice and cut some in! Thanks Evaarla!

Aria

« Reply #199 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Got it! Will the current "chips" in the paint show through and make the new paint look pitted? If so, that may be cool and give it even more effect. I was thinking doing silver, black, and then the red with either navy or pistachio accents.
If it goes, that would look really cool with a good black wash, assuming you want your kit really weathered.

You guys already hit most of the things I'm seeing. Only thing I can point out off the top of my head is that you may want to form the backplate shoulders a little more to you - they're popping up slightly right now. Might be fixed when you permanently attach them to the vest. I would double check when you do get it attached. We had a couple guys get hit with that in pre-app.
Otherwise, looking good!  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!