Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arli's Soft Bits - WIP

• 29 Replies

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Arli's Soft Bits - WIP
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Many thanks, I'm a bit of a worrier about getting things right :)

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2015, 12:16 AM »
Many thanks, I'm a bit of a worrier about getting things right :)

I hear you on that one! Looks good so far, though!  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:57 AM »
Thanks, this is the stressy soft part for me as my dressmaking skills are poor :)

I'd like to put a neck on it, any tips appreciated.  It fastens with buckles but I find that hard to do on my own so this weekend I plan to take those off and replace with Velcro since I have enough of an overlap at the sides to do so.  That's been ordered so should be here in time to sew on.

Next is the belt, paracord is ordered and I've browsed the forum for ideas on construction.  Love the macrame/knot idea but may just be a tad ambitious.

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Consider making a seperate neckseal. There's a pic of mine on my WIP (page 8 ) http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=67531.105#top
Relatively easy to make and a lot less bother than trying to attach it to your flak, trust me  :laugh:
Let me know if you need a run down of how to do it.

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2015, 12:53 PM »
That looks ideal, Reyn, an overview of how to make would be great thank you :)

Aria

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2015, 03:00 PM »
I'm by no means an expert on neck seals, but I made mine out of a black turtleneck from goodwill. I just took it in and played with a few things to get it to fit/look right. That might be something you could look into if you want something easier to try. Gives you another option to think about anyway!  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Thanks Ariarenee! That can be my second option should I crash and burn doing the one Reyn suggested :)

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:37 AM »
So took buckles off one side and replaced with velcro...which was much harder to fasten solo so have spent the afternoon reattaching the buckles!  I did manage to narrow the legs on the undersuit so at least a little further forward.

I don't have any wadding at home so putting the neck seal on hold until I get some when next in town.

Girth belt - planned to make one using the method shown by Trooperjasher (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=56965.0) although the cord I have is thinner than that used in the tutorial, since I'm using paracord, so I'll need more strings.  What sort of width of belt should I be aiming for?

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Another update for feedback please!  A bit image heavy this one.

This weekend I narrowed the legs on the undersuit, which I think makes them a much better fit.  The main accomplishment was the girth belt which looks like below with the parts I have so far:

The back of the belt looks like below, do I need to hide the buckles?  At some point I plan to oversew the edges of the leathery bits with thick thread or leather cord but for now, it at least holds together:

I plan to add a Kama, can I attach this directly to the girth (since the cord is backed by doubled-over leather-look material) or should it have a separate belt?

The armour vest is fastened by buckles.  I use a long piece of tape so that I can fasten it loosely and then tighten - the idea being that I can put on my vest and fasten it alone.  However.. it leaves dangly-bits like below:

Any tips on tidying these or shall I just cut short and rely on there being people around to help me do it up? 

Thanks,
Arli

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: Apr 19, 2015, 03:10 PM »
There's no reason why you can't attach a kama directly to the girth, mine is attached to my ammo belt. I'd make it removable though, just in case.
If you'd prefer to keep the straps long for ease when dressing, maybe sew a square of velcro on the end with the corresponding opposite on your flak to keep them tidy??

Aria

« Reply #25 on: Apr 20, 2015, 12:04 AM »
My kama's separate from my belt(s), mostly so I can take it off if I get too hot: but if it would make it easier for you, you could just sew it to the girth. I don't think it would look bad at all.

Looking good so far, by the way! 

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #26 on: Apr 20, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Good point, although being too hot in the UK is a rare treat :)  I think I will fasten with snaps or velcro so I have the option to remove.

I think I've found the Kama idea to try and copy but unsure of the Loin cloth - are there any restrictions?  A search of the forum pulled up comments along the lines of it having to be particularly good if a cod piece isn't used.  I couldn't find guidance on length/style but I guessed same length as the Kama?

Plan to use Pleather, doubled over maybe or lined with the stuff I used to make the armour vest as that's quite heavy.  I'll go for thigh length I think.

BTW will weather the soft parts once all complete so that I can get consistency of style.

« Reply #27 on: Aug 12, 2017, 01:09 AM »
What Cheerleader Vest Pattern did you use? All I could find are child sized ones.

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2017, 04:44 AM »
I can't remember exactly but I think it was this one that I used as the base:
Simplicity 3689 Costume Pattern Misses Cheerleader Outfit Size 12 14 16 18I did modify it to fit, adding a zip in the side etc.  It took a lot of modding in the end to get a fit I now like, it has darts all over the place to get a snug fit but that doesn't really matter as armour covers them all. 

« Reply #29 on: Aug 12, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I can't remember exactly but I think it was this one that I used as the base:
Simplicity 3689 Costume Pattern Misses Cheerleader Outfit Size 12 14 16 18I did modify it to fit, adding a zip in the side etc.  It took a lot of modding in the end to get a fit I now like, it has darts all over the place to get a snug fit but that doesn't really matter as armour covers them all.

I've been looking for that in stores, all I could ind now are the child size patterns 4040.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!