Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Arli's Soft Bits - WIP

• 29 Replies

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Arli's Soft Bits - WIP
« on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:45 PM »
With a few days off work, I've finally got a chance to get a proper start on the Armour Vest as I have the flight suits (purchased). After many failed attempts at making a template, I brought the Cheerleader one to use as the basic starting point and so far, it seems to be working out for me and my limited sewing skills.  I need to make two, so I'm starting with the male one as it will need less in the way of shaping than the female one.  This is where I am so far:

I've sourced a black heavy canvas fabric, the sort used to make protective covers so I'm hopeful it will be strong enough; my back-up plan it to line it if it isn't.  I've adapted the pattern a little to have a solid front and back with the sides left open so that it's easy to put on.  I'll be using side-straps using 25mm webbing and clips similar to those shown, although that's on my dog's harness as the ones I've ordered haven't arrived yet.  This is to enable a tight fit without me stressing over making it fit properly - plus will be easier to get on and off.  The neck is quite small so I will put velcro or a zip on one of the shoulders to aid in getting it on and that will be covered by the shoulder part of the armour vest anyway (yet to be drafted).  It's probably a bit too long but that will be easy enough to sort once the rest if assembled.  I've the interfacing to put on neck/arms yet so that the edges are properly finished, and of course, to get the sewing machine out!.

Re: Arli's Soft Bits - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2015, 05:54 PM »
That is a really solid start.. I just started my vest also, but am making a test run first on white fabric so I can get the fitting correct.  Looking forward to seeing your progress..

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2015, 03:42 AM »
I think that's a good idea but I couldn't find anything I could sacrifice so it was put it off again for weeks or just go for it.  Let me know how you get on with yours, getting a close fit that can be easily taken on and off is the challenge for me.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Have to laugh.. I sacrificed an old curtain as we got cellular blinds and I have no need for them.  I also draped my form around a body double we made with fiberglass bandage strips.  It is a take on the duct tape body double, which works, but we just used the fiberglass bandage strips as I had broken my wrist on one hand and the hand on the others, so seeing how easily it applied and dried so hard, we just went with it.

Just put on an old t-shirt, and have a friend start wrapping.f  Put the first strip under the chest or breasts, and then work off that way.  I should really post a How-to when I'm not running under the gun trying to get my kit okayed for May and Nasa in Houston.

Alternately, you can look up duct tape body double on google, there are a lot of tutorials, and go the duct tape way.  I just hate having to stuff all that with fiberfill, and it loses its shape somewhat.  so.. there you go..

I hope this helps..

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Great start, can't wait to see you progress :)

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I really should have started this thread in the female armour section, which I managed to completely fail to see.

I've spent the morning stitching my armour vest and I'm at the stage where I need to sort out the length.  Should it fit just above the hips, sort of at belly-button level?  Pulling it around, it feels a nicer fit but I'm not sure if that's too short.

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2015, 09:30 AM »
around the belly button level is good, don't forget you'll have a girth belt/ammo belt etc to fill the space.

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2015, 02:06 PM »
This is the almost finished basic armour vest, I have the shoulder thingies to make and put on yet but that may wait until I have the armour made so that I can get the size right. 

I've pinned it up for length but it seems a bit on the short side, reckon another inch longer?

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2015, 04:36 PM »
looks good to me but an extra inch wouldn't hurt, really does depend on what ammo pouches and girth you're thinking of using. At least if you go longer and it does get a bit cramped round there you can always take it up later :)

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Lengthened it a bit and happy with the fit now, just shoulder armour thingies to do at a later date:

Please let me know if I need to change anything.

I think I'll look at a Kama & Loincloth next and the chest armour templates, although materials may have to wait a month.   Oh and what options I have for a girth belt as the only clothes line I seem able to find is the nylon sort.

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Kitala forwarded this link to me.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YOUGLE-Strand-Paracord-Parachute-Shipping/dp/B00F04A5RE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1428845752&sr=8-14&keywords=paracord
It is from China I believe but it arrived in a week.
Are you going to do Boba or Jango sleeves for the flak?

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Brilliant, thanks!  Now I know what to get, I've found a burgundy coloured one which I've ordered.  May try the macrame belt tutorial else, I'll go for simple!

Edit: Also, wasn't sure what you meant by the sleeves?  The ones I planned to make are like the ones in the armour vest tutorial on the forum, sort of like a capped sleeve?

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2015, 10:22 AM by Arli » Logged

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:36 AM »
yeah, the capped sleeves are Boba, Jango is more like a flap shaped to the shoulder bell.

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Ah thanks, does it matter which I do?

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Not at all, both styles are recognised. it's just down to personal preference.

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Many thanks, I'm a bit of a worrier about getting things right :)

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2015, 12:16 AM »
Many thanks, I'm a bit of a worrier about getting things right :)

I hear you on that one! Looks good so far, though!  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:57 AM »
Thanks, this is the stressy soft part for me as my dressmaking skills are poor :)

I'd like to put a neck on it, any tips appreciated.  It fastens with buckles but I find that hard to do on my own so this weekend I plan to take those off and replace with Velcro since I have enough of an overlap at the sides to do so.  That's been ordered so should be here in time to sew on.

Next is the belt, paracord is ordered and I've browsed the forum for ideas on construction.  Love the macrame/knot idea but may just be a tad ambitious.

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Consider making a seperate neckseal. There's a pic of mine on my WIP (page 8 ) http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=67531.105#top
Relatively easy to make and a lot less bother than trying to attach it to your flak, trust me  :laugh:
Let me know if you need a run down of how to do it.

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2015, 12:53 PM »
That looks ideal, Reyn, an overview of how to make would be great thank you :)

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2015, 03:00 PM »
I'm by no means an expert on neck seals, but I made mine out of a black turtleneck from goodwill. I just took it in and played with a few things to get it to fit/look right. That might be something you could look into if you want something easier to try. Gives you another option to think about anyway!  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Thanks Ariarenee! That can be my second option should I crash and burn doing the one Reyn suggested :)

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:37 AM »
So took buckles off one side and replaced with velcro...which was much harder to fasten solo so have spent the afternoon reattaching the buckles!  I did manage to narrow the legs on the undersuit so at least a little further forward.

I don't have any wadding at home so putting the neck seal on hold until I get some when next in town.

Girth belt - planned to make one using the method shown by Trooperjasher (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=56965.0) although the cord I have is thinner than that used in the tutorial, since I'm using paracord, so I'll need more strings.  What sort of width of belt should I be aiming for?

Arli Vok'Chi

« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Another update for feedback please!  A bit image heavy this one.

This weekend I narrowed the legs on the undersuit, which I think makes them a much better fit.  The main accomplishment was the girth belt which looks like below with the parts I have so far:

The back of the belt looks like below, do I need to hide the buckles?  At some point I plan to oversew the edges of the leathery bits with thick thread or leather cord but for now, it at least holds together:

I plan to add a Kama, can I attach this directly to the girth (since the cord is backed by doubled-over leather-look material) or should it have a separate belt?

The armour vest is fastened by buckles.  I use a long piece of tape so that I can fasten it loosely and then tighten - the idea being that I can put on my vest and fasten it alone.  However.. it leaves dangly-bits like below:

Any tips on tidying these or shall I just cut short and rely on there being people around to help me do it up? 

Thanks,
Arli

Reyn Vok'chi

« Reply #24 on: Apr 19, 2015, 03:10 PM »
There's no reason why you can't attach a kama directly to the girth, mine is attached to my ammo belt. I'd make it removable though, just in case.
If you'd prefer to keep the straps long for ease when dressing, maybe sew a square of velcro on the end with the corresponding opposite on your flak to keep them tidy??

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!