Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Basic PVC Pipe Vambrace Tutorial

• 46 Replies

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Re: Basic PVC Pipe Vambrace Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 06:01 PM »
this is a really solid tutorial. gonna help allot of people out there. a good basic shape is important  to start with.
thanks for the 3d file it looks really cool. now I have the fined out why my laptop doesn't want to open the file ^^

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

• A mando 4 life, but I Utinni.
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #31 on: Jun 09, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Well I'm sold haha to echo the other, great job Vod. The simplicity definitely doesn't take away from the quality of result which is what I think makes this a great approach (and tutorial).

A saying in my industry: "Things should be made simply, but not made simpler."

You have a solid foundation that is simple but the base for however complicated one would want to them customize the vambrace. (Also appreciate the distinction)

Geloberizk

• "I don't run out of ammo, only targets!"
« Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Absolutely wonderful, I only have one question though. Do you pull the hinge hook out to open and secure the gauntlet?

To be fearless is to be a fool, To show no fear is to be truly brave.

Weapon W.I.P. Here
Armor W.I.P. Here
Helmet W.I.P. Here

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #33 on: Oct 05, 2016, 12:48 PM »
I do! You have it exactly.

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #34 on: Oct 26, 2016, 08:19 PM »
How did you know what angle to cut your gauntlets at? I've been trying and wasting so much pvc because I can figure it out

Kuu

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #35 on: Oct 26, 2016, 08:42 PM »
The angle is a byproduct of drawing a line to connect one corner of the forearm to another point at the wrist.

Your forearm to your wrist is a truncated cone. The vambrace is a cylinder until you cut it. 

One end of the vambrace is the circumference you want for your forearm. The other side of the vambrace should be whatever circumference you want for your wrist (with gloves on, etc.).

So if one end is 11" and the other end is 8" that's a difference of 3"

So assuming you want to make 2 symmetrical halves that means you have 4 total cuts to make (top half has 2, bottom half has 2). So divide 3" (the difference between 11" and 8" in this example, your number will be different) by 4 total cuts. That gets you .75. So 3/4 of one inch.

So on each half, you put a dot at the corner (or 0" from the corner) on your forearm side. Then on the other end, the wrist end, you measure in 3/4" from the corner. Now draw a line connecting the two dots. That's the "angle."

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2016, 08:45 PM by Kuu » Logged

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #36 on: Oct 26, 2016, 09:49 PM »
thankss.

I measured my wrist and its 6" and my forearm was 8". so my difference is 2", which means my angle is 1/2"?

Kuu

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2016, 10:59 PM »
Stop saying "angle" and you're there.

So your version of this picture will have that point that's on the wrist side 1/2" up from the corner and on the forearm side it's at 0" from the corner.

Then after you mark both points at the edges, connect them to create your line.

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2016, 11:03 PM by Kuu » Logged

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #38 on: Oct 27, 2016, 11:19 AM »
Okay thanks :) sorry about saying "angle"

Kuu

« Reply #39 on: Oct 27, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Nah, it's all good. LOL I was telling you to stop saying "angle" because it seemed like by focusing on it you were confusing yourself. :)

Aselo Kaig

• Aselo Kaig
« Reply #40 on: Oct 27, 2016, 02:15 PM »
BUT I think I get it now. And I cut both halves the same way right? Then just flip them around to make one side bigger and one smaller?

Kuu

« Reply #41 on: Oct 27, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Yep. You're going from a cylinder to a truncated cone (like a pint glass).

Rohm Iy'Kadaysh

• A mando 4 life, but I Utinni.
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2016, 10:40 AM »
Awesome awesome tutorial. I'm gonna give it a go this weekend. I'll be sure to post a thread of my experience with it. Oya vod

Barn

« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:38 PM »
This is awesome, should be a sticky  :)

noBiggie

• When I left you, I was but the learner.
« Reply #44 on: Jun 10, 2018, 02:41 PM »
So I am in the middle of cutting some 4" pvc and following this tutorial, but I think something went wrong. After cutting out the wedge, the halves don't line up at all. The piece I cut is too narrow now and cutting off that extra half-inch didn't help either. If someone could point out what exactly I should have done, that would be great.

They say less is more, but you can always use more firepower.

Instagram ->> https://www.instagram.com/bigkriffingdeal/
WIP ->> http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=154697.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!