Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aria's Soft Parts - Twi'lek on page 4 -

• 54 Replies

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
Re: Aria's Soft Parts -WIP
« Reply #30 on: Apr 20, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Since it was raining today and I couldn't work on armor, I did a bit of "staining/carbon scoring" to my kama. Thoughts? I want to leave the skull side untouched until I get the full kit done to see how everything looks.

In theory, my legs should be blocking most of the inside of the kama, so I did less staining on that side.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:00 PM »
I like it! It definitely looks like you've been in a scuffle or two! I'm also in favor of leaving your designed side alone until you're further along. There's nothing wrong with that! I'd hate to see you "rough it up" too much and end up not liking it.

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Aria

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #32 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:54 PM »
Exactly my thoughts!

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade
« Reply #33 on: Apr 21, 2015, 12:56 AM »
looks absolutely fantastic!

I hope my kit turns out half this good!

Soft Parts - 62.5%
Armor - 0%
Helmet - 0%
Weapons - 30%

Aria

« Reply #34 on: Apr 21, 2015, 01:38 PM »
looks absolutely fantastic!

I hope my kit turns out half this good!

Thank you!! Good luck with your kit - just remember it takes time and planning (and sometimes beating your head against the wall....)  ;)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2015, 01:49 PM »
That looks really good, very battle worn.  Can I ask how you did it?  The edges look 'proper' rather than just torn or cut.  Just love that Kama to bits.

Aria

« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2015, 03:01 PM »
That looks really good, very battle worn.  Can I ask how you did it?  The edges look 'proper' rather than just torn or cut.  Just love that Kama to bits.

Thank you!!  :D

For the edges, it helped that I picked a super fray-able material (linen), but I think this technique will work on just about anything except pleather and leather.
I sewed a seem along the kama just above the point where I wanted to fray it to (using the same color thread, of course), then I cut out the jagged parts using both scissors and a seem ripper (scissors for the larger parts and the seem ripper for the smaller details) and attacked a lot of the edges with the seem ripper to fray them until I was happy. So it's kind of a combination of cutting/fraying/attacking fabric.

The staining is eyeshadow. I used a lot of black highlighted with gray and a wide varieties of brown highlighted with very small amounts of white. I used the same technique about six years ago when I did a Jurassic park uniform and the stains on that uniform are still there and very visible, so it doesn't fade or wear off over time. Just be careful, because it sticks to fabric and DOES NOT COME OFF OR BLEND at all...so once it's on there it's on there.  ;)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #37 on: Apr 22, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I want to see that Jurassic Park costume! I bet that's rad!

Aria

« Reply #38 on: Apr 22, 2015, 03:12 PM »
I want to see that Jurassic Park costume! I bet that's rad!

hahaha! I even cut the brim of my hat so it looked like a dino bit it...it was awesome.  ;D

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #39 on: Apr 22, 2015, 03:29 PM »
hahaha! I even cut the brim of my hat so it looked like a dino bit it...it was awesome.  ;D

That was another one of my childhood favorite movies. To this day, I still have all my JP toys, pillowcases and books.

Aria

« Reply #40 on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:30 PM »
I still like watching it in the dark because the raptors are still scary in the dark....somethings I will never out grow!

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #41 on: Apr 23, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Just a note to say thanks for the advice on fraying, neat trick to sew first and use a seam ripper to shred.  I would never have thought to use make-up, great idea!

Also...Raptors, one of the only movies to ever give me a nightmare. Raptors *shudder*

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #42 on: Apr 23, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Just a note to say thanks for the advice on fraying, neat trick to sew first and use a seam ripper to shred.  I would never have thought to use make-up, great idea!

Also...Raptors, one of the only movies to ever give me a nightmare. Raptors *shudder*

Do you say, "Clever girl..." right before you're eaten in your dreams?  :P

Aria

« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2015, 12:22 AM »

No problem! I hope it helps - I think your kit is looking great so far, I can't wait to see how it turns out.  :)

Do you say, "Clever girl..." right before you're eaten in your dreams?  :P
Now I really will have nightmares....thanks!  :P

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #44 on: Jul 26, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Just wanted to add my kudos to the many . . .  That Kama is awesome.  I really appreciate the discussion of you height, though.  I'm also 5'2' and didn't think I'd be able to pull of a long Kama.  I'm re thinking that now . . .
 ;D

My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!