Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aria's Soft Parts - Twi'lek on page 4 -

• 54 Replies

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
Aria's Soft Parts - Twi'lek on page 4 -
« on: Apr 06, 2015, 03:41 PM »
First build soft parts!  8)

Hello fellow Mercs!
I'm Aria, and I'm working on my first kit starting with my soft parts. I'm sewing everything myself, so I'd appreciate some feedback and constructive suggestions for improvement as I go along. (I'd like to get it right the first time, so learning from other's mistakes is a great way to do that)

I am currently working on my kama, having finished my flight suit, flak vest and a few other soft parts to add some color. I'll be uploading pics of the 'finished' stuff, and adding more as I get more done.
The internet in my part of the world runs slowly at times, so forgive me if I take a while to reply/update.

Anyhow, this is my armor concept, so more or less what I'm aiming for.

This is my flight suit.

It is two pieces; a shirt and pants, and they are made out of the exact same martial, despite the fact they look different in the pictures.  :o 
This is the collar. It zips up the back, and the zipper is hidden by the flak vest.

And the fluffy ears are from my bother who thought my dress dummy needed some ears. Naturally.

This is my flak vest. It's duck canvas, and laces up both sides. I'm a little concerned about the shoulder tab/sleeves, but I hope they'll work out alright.

and this is me with my belt/sash thing, vest and flight suit on....I don't have the leg wraps (which are red) on at this point. I will get a picture of that soon.

So what do you think so far? Feedback is always appreciated!  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2016, 12:20 AM by ariarenee » Logged
The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Re: Aria's Soft Parts -WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Looking good so far

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Aria

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2015, 12:16 AM »

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2015, 12:30 AM »
Did you make your vest yourself?! It looks incredible! I just finished mine today and it doesn't look near as good as yours. My skills (or lack there of) have got a lot of improving to do in order to get something like that to turn out!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2015, 01:50 PM »
The shoulder tabs on your vest looked overly large, UNTIL you put it on. They seem to sit just where you need them to.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Aria

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Did you make your vest yourself?! It looks incredible! I just finished mine today and it doesn't look near as good as yours. My skills (or lack there of) have got a lot of improving to do in order to get something like that to turn out!

Yes, I did! Thank you!  :)   I've done a lot of sewing in the past couple years so I think that helped me get some practice in! I'm pretty surprised it came out as well as it did. I was thinking I'd have to work on it a lot more to get it to look this nice.

The shoulder tabs on your vest looked overly large, UNTIL you put it on. They seem to sit just where you need them to.

I was actually pretty worried about the shoulder tabs, so I'm glad they look ok now....I cut them down a few times form the original size before I was happy with where they were sitting. Hopefully they work out alright!

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Aria

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2015, 01:02 AM »
Well I think I'm done with my soft parts....or at least the major work -- I may have to do a little 'editing' as I go along.

Finished my kama. I'm super happy with how the mythosaur skull came out. Pictures with the full kit so far this time. (not my final boots, though)

yeah, I wasn't ready for that picture... younger sibs make great photographers. 8)

Thoughts?

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2015, 05:26 AM »
The skull is definitely sweet! I also love the look of long Kamas, so yours is looking really good. It almost makes me want to go back to wanting to use one in my build! :p

Don't worry. I'm not ever ready for pictures. Even when I know it's being taken. ;)

Aria

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2015, 03:15 PM »
The skull is definitely sweet! I also love the look of long Kamas, so yours is looking really good. It almost makes me want to go back to wanting to use one in my build! :p

Don't worry. I'm not ever ready for pictures. Even when I know it's being taken. ;)

Thanks! I'm thinking I may distress the skull side a little more to match the other side, but I'm really happy with how it looks.

Guess for us mercs who can't take pictures that we get to wear helmets, huh?  :laugh:

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2015, 04:06 PM »
I see the distressing now! I missed that the first time. That adds to the look so much!

And heck yes. Hooray for our helmets! It'll hide the fact that I'm always the one guy who has his eyes closed in the picture. Haha

Aria

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2015, 12:11 AM »
I see the distressing now! I missed that the first time. That adds to the look so much!

And heck yes. Hooray for our helmets! It'll hide the fact that I'm always the one guy who has his eyes closed in the picture. Haha

Yeah, the lighting/coloring hides the distressing a lot, but it shows up great in real life.  :) I like the look too...plus it's just fun to destroy things sometimes...I might have enjoyed that.

Haha, yeah, we'll start wearing our helmets in public for that reason!

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Arli Vok'Chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2015, 07:44 AM »
Love the style of your set, the Kama just looks fantastic!  I plan to make one too but was going to go for the shorter one as I'm not that tall.  Really looks brilliant :)

Aria

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Love the style of your set, the Kama just looks fantastic!  I plan to make one too but was going to go for the shorter one as I'm not that tall.  Really looks brilliant :)

Thank you so much!!!  :)  And actually, I'm not that tall myself - just over 5'2", so I think a longer kama works on anyone. (Plus it's a wee bit more feminine without being too girly, which is nice for a merc)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2015, 04:13 PM »
I would have guessed you to be taller than that! Have you started on your bucket yet?

Aria

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2015, 08:31 PM »
I would have guessed you to be taller than that! Have you started on your bucket yet?

Uh....no.... :o That part scares me, so I'm going to put that off until the last possible moment! (meaning I have nothing else to work on! lol)
I seriously doubt it will be that difficult, but I tend to get overwhelmed when I look at the whole picture and how much work I have to do (mostly since I have no idea what I'm doing for a lot of it), so I'm trying not to think about it too much. I just started my armor today, so I'll get a thread up and running for that soon.  :)
I know you've got a good start on your bucket, though, so you'll have to give me tips when I do start mine!

The Aria Pics
He/Him
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I really like the look of that kama!  The distressing on it reminds of an old, worn flag.  In a good way!  It definitely gives me some ideas I hadn't thought of for mine...

Whatever doesn't kill me- should probably run...

Sotar Rua concept (proper WIP coming soon to a thread near you). http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=109564.0

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Uh....no.... :o That part scares me, so I'm going to put that off until the last possible moment! (meaning I have nothing else to work on! lol)
I seriously doubt it will be that difficult, but I tend to get overwhelmed when I look at the whole picture and how much work I have to do (mostly since I have no idea what I'm doing for a lot of it), so I'm trying not to think about it too much. I just started my armor today, so I'll get a thread up and running for that soon.  :)
I know you've got a good start on your bucket, though, so you'll have to give me tips when I do start mine!

I'll be happy to help where I can! The vest was the most intimidating thing for me. I'm still not happy with it! But I just worked on shaping my armor a little more tonight and added something to my helmet. I feel like I had a wasted night for the most part.  :(

Aria

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2015, 01:08 AM »
I really like the look of that kama!  The distressing on it reminds of an old, worn flag.  In a good way!  It definitely gives me some ideas I hadn't thought of for mine...
Thank you!!  :) Go for the distressed look! It's A) cool looking and B) much fun to do.

I'll be happy to help where I can! The vest was the most intimidating thing for me. I'm still not happy with it! But I just worked on shaping my armor a little more tonight and added something to my helmet. I feel like I had a wasted night for the most part.  :(

I think we all have days like that, where nothing goes quite right. Especially when we're working on something like kits and we want them to turn out perfect.  But hopefully with hard work and perseverance we look alright in the end...fingers crossed...  :rolleyes: But from what I say earlier your armor looks like you're off to a better start then I am!  ???

I don't know if it helps with your vest or not since I haven't see it (do you have a pic somewhere??), but for my brother's flak vest I'm just using one of his shirts as a pattern and cutting around that. It's going to be a side opening vest like mine, so all I have to do to it is sew the shoulders, which is pretty easy. And then take up the sides a little...So much easier then dealing with patterns and things.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2015, 05:31 AM »
That is looking brilliant. Love the leg wraps and the arm strip especially.
If you've already got this and it's just not showing on the photos, ignore me - but don't forget that with that much ripping your kama will probably have some amount of dirt or carbon scoring that won't wash out no matter how many times you put it through the Mandalorian washing machine.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Wow! Truly inspiring work!

I love the way you did your vest. And your neckseal... And, well, everything!

If your doing a scratchbuild for your helmet, just remember to take your time and let every step take the time it needs... I guess that's also true if you're not going from scratch, right? :-)

Looking forward to watching your work progress!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2015, 04:09 PM »
I don't know if it helps with your vest or not since I haven't see it (do you have a pic somewhere??), but for my brother's flak vest I'm just using one of his shirts as a pattern and cutting around that. It's going to be a side opening vest like mine, so all I have to do to it is sew the shoulders, which is pretty easy. And then take up the sides a little...So much easier then dealing with patterns and things.

Yeah. That's how I did mine too. But I need to go back through and open up the holes for my arms. It's kind of snug up around my armpit right now. Also around my neck it looks rather atrocious Haha. It's cut pretty crooked. This was a learning experience. If I need a new one, I may have to ask nicely for you to make me one Haha. ;)

Aria

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2015, 06:42 PM »
That is looking brilliant. Love the leg wraps and the arm strip especially.
If you've already got this and it's just not showing on the photos, ignore me - but don't forget that with that much ripping your kama will probably have some amount of dirt or carbon scoring that won't wash out no matter how many times you put it through the Mandalorian washing machine.

Thank you! Yes, I do want to do some staining on my kama...I'm just trying to figure out what would show up and stain the best. Any suggestions??  :)

If your doing a scratchbuild for your helmet, just remember to take your time and let every step take the time it needs... I guess that's also true if you're not going from scratch, right? :-)
Right! What's the old saying...patience is a virtue? Though granted sometimes one I wish I didn't require.  ;)
And thank you, by the way. I'm glad you like my kit!

Yeah. That's how I did mine too. But I need to go back through and open up the holes for my arms. It's kind of snug up around my armpit right now. Also around my neck it looks rather atrocious Haha. It's cut pretty crooked. This was a learning experience. If I need a new one, I may have to ask nicely for you to make me one Haha. ;)
Haha, yes, by then I should have all three brother's vest done...so I might be an expert! :laugh: Cutting things straight is always hard though...you should see some of the pants I've made!  :o

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2015, 06:49 PM »
You're making three!?  :o Haha. Dang! You'll be happy if you never have to make another vest in your life after that. I think it's awesome that you're doing it as a family. That's definitely cool!  :D

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2015, 06:52 PM »
And here's how mine turned out.

I guess it's not TERRIBLE for a first attempt. Haha

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Kursh, if you don't like your vest (looks fab BTW) you could always mount yer plates on that epic beard!! ;-)

Aria, I wanted to ask about your neckseal. Did you use anything special to get the nice ribbed effect? I tried cotton batting, PVC foam piping, even tried with cheaply skipping ropes.... Can't get as nice a ribbed effect as you did... So, spill it! What's yer secret??

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!