Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Bucket Design and Pepakura: "Iviin'gota" (Speed Machine)

• 30 Replies

Zekk Voss

• Talyc-Cuyan, the crack-shot speed junkie Mando
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
This idea has evolved from several inspirations.  When I made my first rendition of my kit, I always wanted a bucket with a visor due to my love of Scout Troopers, but that never wound up happening.  Then, I started examining McQuarrie's design concepts for the movies for inspiration.  A few months ago the idea hit me when I was drawing buckets based off of muscle car design features that I could combine the look of the tail section of the '69 Dodge Charger with the standard Mando, McQuarrie and Scout buckets to get a pretty mean looking original design that wouldn't look out of place in a Legacy comic. 

Note: I have made changes since then.  The bottom side and rear view pics are more accurate, although the visor will be more flat like McQuarrie's concept as opposed to being as curved around as I illustrated.  Take note of the implied side vents- those will be implemented.

This past weekend I started taking up the pep work, using Fierfek's Boba to help out with the dome and random bits that I would use communally.  Here's images of the bucket before I attached the rear panels.

At this point in time, I'm almost finished with the back of the bucket, but have two areas where I want you vode opinion. 

The first area would be the rear vents- Ducts that have stick out louvres (top), or ducts that lead into the bucket (bottom)?

Secondly, in the rear right side panel there is a flap like surface that I had to cut out, and was considering turning it into a rear facing vent.  Yea or nay? 

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2015, 10:44 PM by Zekk Voss » Logged

droodles

• Good to GO
Re: New Bucket Design and Pepakura: "Iviin" (Velocity)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2015, 03:24 AM »
Ummmm. I love the flatness? of the visor in that drawing. There's a few alternative designs that really nailed visors on mando helmets. The assassin visor and the visor in the Marrow Sun Custom come to mind.

This could be up there if done up really nicely.

Reminds me of scuba diving gear.

You can see my Mando stuff here:  http://sdrv.ms/WKihMo
Email or Facebook message me if I don't respond promptly to PMs.

https://www.facebook.com/droodls

Zekk Voss

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Thank you very much!  Indeed, if this does go well and others are interested, I might take up casting.  I have the sneaking suspicion that McQuarrie might have been inspired by scuba gear for his original concepts, now that I think about it.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Neat the helmet looks like it'd be great for people with glasses that can't them in a normal bucket

Failure is never an option. You call it version 1 instead and when all else fails blame Jar Jar

Zekk Voss

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Although I didn't initially consider it in the design, this helmet would most certainly be glasses friendly, assuming you don't have giant ones of course.

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:43 AM »
never seen the sun shade actually molded into being part of the bucket before. Now I'm curious.  :laugh:

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:05 PM »
I'm interested to see which direction this goes myself! I like the concept!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Zekk Voss

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I'm leaning towards the inwards directed rear vents that I illustrated in the first post.  I'll probably be able to knock that part out tonight and maybe get a start on the earcaps or the cheekplates. 

Thank you vode for your display of interest and compliments! 

Cattfish

• If at first you don't succeed, blow something up.
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Love this helmet design, can't wait to see where it goes from here.

OOPS #40 - ALUMINATI #52 - VABS - TPS #8
Troop Counter: 54

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Color me intrigued. 8)

As for the vents, I like the idea of haveing them out, as opposed to in.  May not be much, but interior space can come at a premium.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Zekk Voss

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Color me intrigued. 8)

As for the vents, I like the idea of haveing them out, as opposed to in.  May not be much, but interior space can come at a premium.

Well, you got to me a little bit late, heh.  I've already built and attached them facing inwards.  At the most we're talking maybe 4/16ths of horizontal interior space lost in the bucket, but it's no cause for alarm as I can always make the dome longer if it looks like it'd be too tight when it all comes together.

Making them face in also allows the rear vents to have a Louvre like look to them, such as the ones on the Lamborghini Miura, going with the sports/muscle car design cues I'm using in other places on the bucket.
http://perpetuelle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Lamborghini-Miura-1970s-Rear-Window-Louvres-620x392.jpg

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015, 11:27 AM by Zekk Voss » Logged

Zekk Voss

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Here's some images of the newly completed rear vent.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2015, 01:46 PM »
After seeing the pics, I can agree. It works. :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Zekk Voss

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Vor'e Straka!  Looks like I've decided on a pace for myself: One part per weekday, as many as I can cram in on the weekends.  At this rate, I may or may not get finished by this weekend.  Tonight I made the stencil and test fitted the underside of the visor frame, tomorrow I'll be working on the inside mandibles, on Friday I'm looking at getting the cheeks done. 

Zekk Voss

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2015, 10:43 PM »
So this is the part where I start to feel like my hard work is paying off.  I just got the mandible template done and taped it on.  I'm addressing the slight angle issue where it meets the vertical at the moment.  I'll be working on the cheeks tomorrow, and if all of it fits together well I'll be gluing afterwards.

Biodelta

• working to be great

Zekk Voss

Re: New Bucket Design and Pepakura: "Iviin'gota" (Speed Machine)
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 03:08 AM »
Vor'e vod!

Sevrin Cerar

• Forumalorian
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Looks awesome vod!
I'll be keepin an eye on this :P

Zekk Voss

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Glad to hear it!   ;D

A great idea popped into my head.  I'm going to see how making the mandibles angled so they don't look flat would look on the bucket. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:30 PM by Zekk Voss » Logged
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 11:29 AM »
I think you just helped me solve my bucket problem. ;D

Failure is never an option. You call it version 1 instead and when all else fails blame Jar Jar

Biodelta

• working to be great
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 07:36 AM »
hows it looking so  far are you planing on bondo then casting it

Zekk Voss

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 11:10 AM »
I think you just helped me solve my bucket problem. ;D

Glad I could help! 

Here's my progress as of last night, not pictured are the cheeks.  I do plan to glass it as per usual and there's a good chance I will be making a mold of it, although that could be down the line. 

Completed rear section

Completed left side mandible; I need to create templates of them then I'm good to go for gluing.  The cheek segments along with this mandible will flow into the earcap vents I have planned. 

Due to the way the bucket sits on me now, as well as knowing that fiberglassing the interior of the bucket will mean I lose around 3/8ths interior space, I will be extending the bucket by a half inch forwards.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:16 AM by Zekk Voss » Logged

Zekk Voss

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00 AM »
VODE!

My ego is a little high at the moment because of well... here ya go.

After making ~20 stencils of the lower mandibles, I finally was able to get the right shape.  Without further ado, here's some images.

I apologize for looking like I'm about to interrogate an informant XD

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 02:31 AM »
Great stuff, vod! I love the concept, and can't wait to see it all come together

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Biodelta

• working to be great
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 06:45 AM »
I love it  so far. HURA !! keep it  up vod

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!