Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

my first helmet wip (scratch build)

• 25 Replies
my first helmet wip (scratch build)
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:53 PM »
hello ...finally got some work done on my helmet ....this is my 3rd attempt ...first helmet I used the wof templates and because i wear glasses it just didn't fit ...so i built one using RafalFett's templates  as they where slightly bigger ....didn't quite go to plan (left the paper templates stuck to the cardboard and during filling and sanding it started to separate and bubble up)  ...so hopefully 3rd time lucky

The body is made from 5mm foamex im changing the design a little, as found the rear slots on the last attempt still made getting it on and off a real pain with my glasses. I have gone for a solid look at the back with plan to cut a design into it ...glasses still catch the cheeks a little but now its not really an issue

got alittle enthuiastic with the heat gun on the cheek

used the dome from my second attempt bucket

still more filling to do but its getting there ,been a productive few days  :)

Ne'tra Ca'verd

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: my first helmet wip (scratch build)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Looking good! Keep up the good work.

Renn

• I thought you were made of sterner stuff?!!
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:07 PM »
Awesome work vod!  8)

MMCC #1116    B.E.A.R.D.S.#101
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 06:16 PM »
cheers vod's for the kind words ... not had a chance to do much this week but got a bit done

back view

hopefully get bit more done tomorrow  :)

crutchthecrusher

• Enjoy today there is no promise of tomorrow
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:11 PM »
vod I think it would look awesome if you painted the little piece on the back but that's just my opinion either way your helmet looks awesome

Ericr Huric
MMCC: 1193 
Starviper Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
Wip Helmet http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96098.0

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:16 PM »
cracking job my friend. I'm full of admiration when it comes to anyone willing to take on a scratchbuild.

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37 PM »
...could be just because i still have the support bit still in the middle

I'd say definitely, looks great to me and having the support there detracts from the classic look. Don't forget you have the visor to install too. If you're still not sure after that, consider using a different colour on the upper or lower cheeks.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 03:18 PM »
cheers Reyn ...was thinking that I possibly have to much black around the cheek area ...i will get the visor and ears sorted first and like you suggested if I am still not happy then I will try adding another colour

crutchthecrusher

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I agree with Reyn Vok'chi the lower cheek could use the silver back on it to brake it up but I love it looks awesome keep up the good work 

Ericr Huric
Starviper Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 02:12 PM »
hello vods

little more work done on the lid

(sorry missing this image)

silver cheeks are back and have to agree it looks better

kill stripes added

blacked out the centre support to give a better idea of how it will look

got the ears sprayed in silver ready for paint ....feels like a constructive day

cheers for all the help and advice guys

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 07:45 PM »
You have done a great job on this entire bucket.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Wow. Awesome job, vod! Love, LOVE the back design!!! Looks fantastic.

Looking forward to your next update!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

crutchthecrusher

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Hey vod I love the new, old look cant wait to see what is next

Ericr Huric
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 05:51 PM »
finally got a chance to do a little bit more and once again I had another nightmare with my cardboard ears...as they started to split and separate.
Again i had left the paper templates stuck to the cardboard when i had made them .... so time to start a fresh

I've been looking at some of the brigades spec's and slime line ears seemed the way to go ...only managed to get the right hand one done

was going for a minimal communication kind of look without a protruding aerial to help keep with the slimline look ...plan to make some trooper style binoculars at some point so no need for range-finder (handy as the one i made is very weak and unusable)

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Now this is a quality build. Just going to mention if you ever cast nd sold these id be interested. Lots of lovely, interesting and original details on this bucket. especially the back and the ears.

Honesty superb work.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 06:49 PM »
thanks kitala
As this is my first build its nice to know that I seem to be heading in the right direction and always nice to hear people like what you have done ...so thank you
As for casting I wouldn't even know where to start atm and with a baby on the way finding time just for this build is at a premium... not to mention the girlfriend has the nose of a blood hound especially if i use anything resin/fibreglass related :( and that was before we found out she was pregnant (any suggestions on alternative non smelly resins ...would be appreciated)
Anyway back on topic ,  I hope to have the left ear sorted by the weekend and I have just emailed boba maker about a t-visor. Right ear is fitted and painted ...just got to paint the buttons a different colour and I had to add a little filler to take up the small gap that was there so bit more paint and weathering as well

hopefully another couple of pics to follow soon

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Silicone doesn't really smell. though you'd need to make a fiberglass jacket. for actual casting you could use fast cast. pretty much odorless. though a bit flexible but i think i've seen helmets cast in it before.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Well finally got there and would say helmet is about 95% finished ...slight change in colour ...as I just wasn't happy with how it looked in black and red only ....and given that im surrounded by forest it was inevitable the green had to happen and a boba maker visor now fitted

crutchthecrusher

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Looking really good vod

Ericr Huric

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2015, 10:35 AM »
That's lovely. very mandalorian protector. Can we see the back?

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:37 AM »
sorry for necroposting but finally getting round to redoing my pics and have few update pics to come

Not considered Necroposting when it is your own thread :) Commenting to follow along

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Nice to see you back!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02:56 PM »
helmets had a repaint and now sporting a range finder a friend 3d printed for me ...still have the left had ear piece to sort out and rangefinder to paint

need to open the holes out abit as one seems to be slightly off and its bugging the hell out of me

and the back has stayed the same

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Great work so far on your bucket vod!!  I love that bit of detail on the back.  I'll definitely be following along.  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!