Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Back plate shaping issues.

• 4 Replies
Back plate shaping issues.
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:56 AM »
I had started a new back plate but I am running into an issue with a gap at the shoulders. The plate is joined with the collar so I know the size is good but I cannot fix this gap. Is there anyone who would know how I can fix this?

Re: Back plate shaping issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Assuming you're using Sintra, that gap is incredibly hard to get rid of. I've used a couple of methods to eliminate it. On my backplate I had the backplate formed to my back by three people. One person held the shoulders to my shoulders, another person held the sides around my sides, and the third person rubbed the backplate all over to get the proper shape. This mostly eliminated my shoulder gap. However, I also have a very muscular back and arms, so the shoulder gap is further hidden by my body shape.

My fiancee we attempted to do the same method to form her backplate. I couldn't completely get rid of it, so I cut it out. This slimmed the backplate down and eliminated the problem areas. Here is what her backplate looks like:

Your backplate has too much of a shoulder gap to simply cut it out. I would either reform it using the method I described or cut darts in it and use those to make the complex curve. (Look at how boob plates are made for examples of this.) If that doesn't work I'm going to strongly suggest picking up a piece of ABS and forming that to your back. ABS is much better at complex curves like those shoulders than Sintra.

Edit: Looking at your pictures more, I would bring the collar tabs of your backplate forward and in towards your neck. That should help with the curve. Remember, you can always trim them to match your collar after the backplate is formed.

Thanls for the reply on this problem. Sadly until I can get the extra hands to do somethinglike that, I am up the creek without a paddle.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Honestly, backplates really do require a team effort to do right. It takes a certain combination of luck, skill, and burn marks to get one right on your own.

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:36 AM »
For mine, I had my son holding my shoulders and my wife heating/shaping the overall. Still not convinced mine is quite right.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:19 AM »
The way I get round it is to cut out a wedge (point facing the centre of the plate) and bring the 2 edges together when heated. I then drill a series of holes either side of the join and cuts crossing it. Filler can then be used making sure to push it through the holes and when smoothed on both sides makes a secure joint.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!