Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Budget Lighted Rangefinder Topper

• 21 Replies

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Budget Lighted Rangefinder Topper
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Twist to engage the batteries.

So once you turn it on, it's on till the batteries drain?  If that's the case, you'll want to add a switch somewhere that can turn it off and on.  My suggestion would be put a small position switch (which are really cheap) that can turn it on when it's in the down position, and off in the up position.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:24 PM »
 I just built a base and cap for a RF on my comMando bucket... it can be done!  ;)

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:48 AM »
The first prototype is out the door. I included it gratis in a helmet kit purchased by a fellow merc. The cap will be made of vac formed ABS and secured with a strong magnet. Working on a vac table to make a bunch of caps at a time. The first was done with a heat gun and the actual topper as a buck. Still have to work on cleaning up the small bubbles in the clear epoxy (which are a pain to get out). However, the topper is one step closer to being available.

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:50 AM »
So once you turn it on, it's on till the batteries drain?  If that's the case, you'll want to add a switch somewhere that can turn it off and on.  My suggestion would be put a small position switch (which are really cheap) that can turn it on when it's in the down position, and off in the up position.

The RF topper would has a removable cap. The light would be turned on and placed inside. Twist to engage, untwist to disengage batteries. Batteries should last close to a full day of trooping.  Ill try to get some pics up.

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2014, 11:53 AM by Dha Bral » Logged

Takisir

• Great moments are born from great opportunity's
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Color me intrested in one when you get it worked out

Official Troops- 0 UO Troops- 5
I probably will mess up my picture links, so here-
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Takisir/library/?sort=3&page=1
Desert theme, possibly Desert ops later on kit-  
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82736.0

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:10 PM »
For sure. I'm havent been as diligent as ive liked with this piece. Ive been playing catch up on helmets, blasters, and commissions... then the holidays hit.
Im thinking of rethinking the entire light to operate the top 2 LEDs as well. I have a few parts on order right now to tinker with once I get them. It's proving difficult to keep the price down on this with all the switches, connectors, and battery cases I'm probably going to use.  I just ordered some semi clear resin to try instead of the clear epoxy i have been using. That will solve the air bubble issue. Then i need to get my vac table up and going for the lids.
So yeah... there's all that. Overshadowing all of it is me trying to get my own kit finished and get OM status so I dont feel so much like someone who is just here to peddle costume pieces to the forum.  ;D

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:10 AM »
hi bud, have you considered incorporating a small ball switch in your design... it's basically a metal bearing in a tube that when in the vertical position sits on two points making a circuit and when not the circuit is broken... it's a cheap way of fixing your lights so they only come on when the range finder is over your eye.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!