Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Legacy W.I.P. (Female) - my first attempt

• 5 Replies
Legacy W.I.P. (Female) - my first attempt
« on: May 09, 2015, 03:26 PM »
And here it goes. I'm planning on putting together a Legacy kit, this is going to be my first ever Mando kit. I have never worked with plastics before so it should be fun. I plan on using Sintra  (3mm) though I have yet to get the material. I have a few questions:

1: Just to make sure I am understanding this, are vests required in a Legacy build? What methods of closure on these vests are acceptable? (I wanted mine to either lace up or snap together on the sides; if both are acceptable methods, is one preferred?) 

2: Do we have to have to have full names and backgrounds for the Merc we are making?

3: Is my design below acceptable? Do you have any recommendations?

4: The material I have for my loin cloth is a synthetic that is a little silky and a tad stretchy, it this okay? Are there requirements to the type of material that can be used, in general, when it comes to soft parts?

5: Do we have to get weapons approved? Must they be submitted at the same time as the rest of the kit?

I was thinking this will be somewhere between a medium and heavy build. The girth belt is going to be made out of black rope. I think I want to put a leather utility belt over the top and am thinking about making a sniper rifle to go with.
The Silver half circle on the loincloth is a ring, and I am not sure on color (Thought I could change that when I am closer to being done with the costume If I think it shouldn't be silver.)

Tutorials I plan on using:
Brest plate: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79340.0  (With the tape method for a pattern.)
Vest: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63411.0

PLAN:
  • Concept: Done - See Above
  • Soft Parts:
    • Flight Suit: Not Started
    • Vest: Not Started
    • Loin Cloth: Not Started
    • Gloves: Not Started
    • Girth Belt: Not Started
    • Utility Belt: Not Started
    • Neck Seal: Not Started
    • Boots: Done. :)
  • Armor:
    • Helmet: Not Started
    • Chest Plate: Not Started
    • Back Plate: Not Started
    • Bracers: Not Started
    • Shoulders: Not Started
    • Thighs: Not Started
    • Shins: Not Started
    • Shoe Plate: Not Started

Wow, after listing all of that out it seems a little more daunting.

Any help you can give to the above questions, or any general recommendations will be much appreciated. Thank you, :)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Legacy W.I.P. (Female) - my first attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 01:43 AM »
And here it goes. I'm planning on putting together a Legacy kit, this is going to be my first ever Mando kit. I have never worked with plastics before so it should be fun. I plan on using Sintra  (3mm) though I have yet to get the material. I have a few questions:

1: Just to make sure I am understanding this, are vests required in a Legacy build? What methods of closure on these vests are acceptable? (I wanted mine to either lace up or snap together on the sides; if both are acceptable methods, is one preferred?) 

2: Do we have to have to have full names and backgrounds for the Merc we are making?

3: Is my design below acceptable? Do you have any recommendations?

4: The material I have for my loin cloth is a synthetic that is a little silky and a tad stretchy, it this okay? Are there requirements to the type of material that can be used, in general, when it comes to soft parts?

5: Do we have to get weapons approved? Must they be submitted at the same time as the rest of the kit?

I was thinking this will be somewhere between a medium and heavy build. The girth belt is going to be made out of black rope. I think I want to put a leather utility belt over the top and am thinking about making a sniper rifle to go with.
The Silver half circle on the loincloth is a ring, and I am not sure on color (Thought I could change that when I am closer to being done with the costume If I think it shouldn't be silver.)

Tutorials I plan on using:
Brest plate: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79340.0  (With the tape method for a pattern.)
Vest: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63411.0

PLAN:
  • Concept: Done - See Above
  • Soft Parts:
    • Flight Suit: Not Started
    • Vest: Not Started
    • Loin Cloth: Not Started
    • Gloves: Not Started
    • Girth Belt: Not Started
    • Utility Belt: Not Started
    • Neck Seal: Not Started
    • Boots: Done. :)
  • Armor:
    • Helmet: Not Started
    • Chest Plate: Not Started
    • Back Plate: Not Started
    • Bracers: Not Started
    • Shoulders: Not Started
    • Thighs: Not Started
    • Shins: Not Started
    • Shoe Plate: Not Started

Wow, after listing all of that out it seems a little more daunting.

Any help you can give to the above questions, or any general recommendations will be much appreciated. Thank you, :)

Vests are still required but don't need to be attached to your armor plates like the fett style armor.
I've got a simple name and no back story.
I do like your concept art and other than the question of the style of shoulder armor you plan to use as your art looks like you're doing a shoulder/bicep setup(which should be fine)
As long as the fabric compliments your kit you should be fine to move forward on the loin-however, it's good to check with a member or two of the app team especially on exotic things.
The costume requirements lists state that you will need a weapon that's Star Wars looking-I was told that I needed at least a blaster(could be a holdout blaster) Weapons are submitted with the rest of the application.

So far it looks like you have a good plan set forward to building your kit and have a direction to work towards. Also I like the color scheme I'm a bit partial to yellow myself.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 05:18 PM »
1. Yes they are required. However the armour does not need to attach directly to the vest. I would use snaps simply for the ease of getting it on and off, however both are acceptable closure methods.

2. By full name - anything that would fit in the Star wars universe. So simple names such as Luke and Ben are good, all the way up to complicated names made from Mando'a, or completely made up names as long as they are not rude or textspeak. No backstory is necessary, although you may find you have one by the time you're armour is done :P But only your name will need to be submitted :)

3. Design looks good as is. Suggestion wise I'd have the shoulders attach higher and segment over the shoulder - but isn't necessary. And secondly, may just be the design, but don't make the thighs too large as they can shift around and dig in during long troops.

4. Should be. The only fabric restrictions are really on the flightsuit and vests as they need to be something that won't stretch or rip easily.

5. You need A weapon to be approved. This can be a pistol/blaster, a midsize rifle, or a really big grenade launcher :P I believe you can also use a large melee weapon (force pike, vibroaxe) instead of a blaster - but I'd pm an app team member as I'm not entirely certain on that - I know that small knives etc do not count.

Otherwise - yeah, it looks daunting, but just work on it bit by bit and you'll be surprised by how quickly bits start being crossed off that list :D

And as a general recommendation - template everything before cutting it, paper is much easier to resize.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:08 AM »
@ Bowfanny
Thanks for all of the answers. They are very useful. As to the style of the shoulders, they are actually to look a little like your own, (I had a really hard time making them look right using paint.) only they will be a little narrower and taper down the arm ending about an inch or two above the elbow to hopefully prevent movement restriction. I fully expect to have to mess around with them a great deal to figure them out. Will probably make make them in cardboard first. I will also start developing a more concrete plan for a weapon. :) 

@Kris Jasra
Thank you as well for your reply. :) You have point about the snaps. I think I will give it a try using that method. And the more I think about the armor and my character I find you are right. I am starting to develop the bones of a back story. As to the shoulders, I shall keep it in mind; I also intend to make a card board mockup of all the armor plates, this should hopefully prevent the thighs from being too big (I will definitely keep the idea of them shifting in mind). I have an old lab shirt that I got in a biotech class that I am considering modifying for my vest and will probably use cotton or linen for the flight suit so stretching and tearing in those garments shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the info on the weapon. :)

I have another question. Should I attach my loin cloth to the girth belt or give it its own belt?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05 AM »
I have 2 belts. First one goes through loops in my flightsuit so it stays in place and I use that belt and snaps to attach cod/loin, gun holsters, thigh strapping and my jetpack harness. Then I cover all of that with my girthbelt/sash and finally have an ammo belt over it all.

I've found it allows for a quite modular system wherein I can decide to change things out depending on how tired I am etc by just unclipping stuff from the bottom belt. I've also been able to switch between a girthbelt and sash on hotter days where the leather and rope girth was just too hot.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ronan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:24 AM »
I have no snaps on my armor.  It sits on me like a big clam shell.  I had a belt that attached at the bottom.  When I added a strap under the armpit to add side armor, I realized that it worked just fine so I detached the belt loops.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!