Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Approval for Flight Suit and Vest before I buy.

• 6 Replies
Approval for Flight Suit and Vest before I buy.
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:48 PM »
The first item, and I think kinda important is the flight suit.  These are the two I have in mind, and I also want to ask (i'm doing a desert sniper theme) what color of flight suit...black or khaki.  One is Rothco and the other is from taticalgear.com...is one better than the other, and should it be a real loose fit or just normal fit?

Links to Flight Suits:

Rothco: http://www.rothco.com/product-details/rothco-flightsuits and pic

Taticalgear.com: http://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-poly-cotton-twill-27-p-flight-suits-black and pic

I have heard so many things about the vest, and I hear or read something different every time, I see some with a collar and some without, I see some with shoulder pad/covers some without, I think, since this is what the armor attaches to, it is a very important piece of equipment, and I DO NOT WANT SAGGY ARMOR!

Take a look at this link and any advice on any of this stuff would be of so much help.

Link to Star Wars Mandalorian Vest: https://www.etsy.com/listing/214946498/star-wars-mandalorian-flak-vest?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_mid-toys_and_games-other&utm_custom1=2f030a42-a688-7529-823a-000035e55fe7&kpid=214946498&gclid=CjwKEAjwj9GqBRCRlPram97Xk3ESJADrN7IeaNHyfxpzTSwpEkJEnrF8WFXyrFtQBjdG9oYfI5zNaxoCDEnw_wcB and pic

If this is all good stuff then GREAT and thanks for the help, but if you know of anything better (moderate budget) please inform me and a place to start looking.  Once I"m done with this process of getting everything and making armor, I really want to put together a:  Getting started with your Mando armor 101 document with links and hopefully what is approved and what TO NOT LOOK FOR.  Thanks so much for the read and possible help.  I'm really excited to start this thing...been working on guns already :) 

thanks so much!

save the drama for your mama

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: Approval for Flight Suit and Vest before I buy.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Flight suit looks good. But, for a desert build, you'll want khaki. For blending in with sand and heat exchange.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:14 PM »
Going to be watching this with interest as I'm just starting out myself.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:01 PM »
As far as fit, you want to be somewhere between skin-tight and baggy.  Most flightsuits can be altered to bring in the parts that are hanging off you, but you don't always know until you put it on with your vest and armor.

I also suggest scrubs, which are easily available, comfortable, inexpensive and come in a wide variety of colors.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medic Brigade
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Remember that zippers on your flight suit need to be either covered or removed. This can make for a fair amount of extra work, though I found having a 'hidden' pocket on my flight suit was very handy when trooping at C7 (the pocket is on my left thigh, hidden by my kama)

The only stupid questions, are the ones you're too afraid - or too proud - to ask.

MMCC International Costuming Standards - CLICK HERE

MQ+A FAQ - CLICK HERE

MQ+A Question Form - CLICK HERE
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Yes I knew the scrubs were a good idea, thats why I didn't post them, so now I have lots of options to go with.  Scrubs might be the way to go in Florida though, and I will definatley go with Khaki to stay more in the desert theme.  thanks so much for all the replies and useful information.  With scrubs though I will need some kind of belt to make it look like one full unit corret...girth belt?

save the drama for your mama

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Your costume should give the appearance of a one piece flight suit, which is why the top and bottom must match in color and material.  A lot of people will use a girthbelt or sash to cover the transition between the top and bottom.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medic Brigade
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!