Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP

• 129 Replies

Evad

• Shereshoy
Re: Concepts for First Build - Comments and Suggestions Needed
« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2015, 06:44 AM »
So, I'm going to be doing some work in preparation for getting the flight suit, and flak vest.  I have not ordered either yet, as I need to get measured for them.  I'll be doing that this weekend, as well as constructing a duct tape dummy torso for proper mounting.  I'll also be working on my weapons over the weekend, getting some help from my father and his massive collection of tools that make things bend to your will.  However, while I had some time, and a new printer, I put together a very rough version of the armor design I came up with. 

Rough Draft Paper Template

This is laid out on the ground, and some pieces are a little curled due to the printing process.  There are several things I already see in the larger scale version that need some tweaking.  Below are three of the major things that I know I'll need to fix before I make them into proper templates.

Rough Draft Paper Template Flaws

If anyone has any ideas on how to fold Sintra so that it can make hard angles, please let me know what methods you use.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #26 on: Jun 10, 2015, 03:32 AM »
Torso Mold

After watching a few videos of panels done with the Mercs, I decided it would be a worthy goal to create my own duct tape torso.  My family and I had quite a hilarious time putting this together.  It is quite an odd product to have in my living room, and I'm sure it will draw attention with any visitors I may have.  I did however want to show you what I came up with, and how it came together.  I should be ordering my soft parts soon (flight suit and flak vest).  The top of the neck and bottom of the torso are sealed with cardboard.  I have not sealed the sleeves, as I really don't need them sealed just yet, and it also gives me access ports should I need to get back inside it. 

Front and Back

Side to Side

A Few Questions

• What kind of material do you suggest in mounting templates to the mold/vest?
  • For those that use molds, how accurate has it been for you in sizing things like vests, and armor placement/size?
  • Does anyone have an easy way of mounting good looking Corellian Bloodstripes to flightsuits?
  • Where can I get a good sampling of armor color designs, as I haven't really settled on more than a pallete of colors to work with. (Gray, Red, Black)
  • I'm ordering a black vest from K'ramm, so I'm debating on a gray or black flightsuit. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 03:42 AM by Evad » Logged

teraxis

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #27 on: Jun 10, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Your dummy looks like it came out really good.  As far as what to use to mock up your templates on it.  I would say to probably start with a weaker tape like masking or painters tape so that you can adjust it easily.  Once you get your vest over the dummy you should be able to accurately place your plates.   As far as your final attachments there are several options, Velcro, snaps, rivets,  Chicago screws, and magnets are all popular and each has its ups and downs.  As far as color schemes go there is a mando maker that lets you play with color templates somewhere on the site (sorry I'm not sure exact ally where it is).  But I would advise you again to look through the wip threads on the forums to get a solid idea on how to do attachments and such and just general things people have run into and had to adjust for. 

Mercs # 838
Photo Bucket Ate The Rest of My Signature.

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #29 on: Jun 10, 2015, 11:51 PM »
Paper Template

Test Alignment #1

The first thing I discovered with this is that the sizing I was putting together may have been a little long.  The torso mold goes down to the hem of my pants, so I figure that is how far I wanted coverage.  However it seems as if I may need to shrink the paper templates.  Otherwise, they seem to integrate well and give the kind of coverage I was looking for.  Keep in mind they are layered one over the other, but with the paper it looks like all one layer. 

Test Alignment #2

Added in the collar plate template into the torso.  It fits rather well and will have a gorget like feature to protect the front of the neck.  Don't want those pesky glowstick weilders attempting to fling my bucket away.  I also see a large gap on my sides that I want to add in another piece of armor that'll keep my ribs intact from the stabby things.

Responses

I'll be sewing velcro strips onto the flak vest when I get it to mount the armor.  I've already heard the perils of hot glue, and things that are harder to work with.  Trying to learn from the history of others so that I can get a good solid build first time around.  I think I'll lightly color the paper next time so it can be more visually seen about the layers. 

The Mando Maker really isn't going to help me, mainly because I already know my color pallete.  What I'm looking for is artistic designs that have been put on armor.  Drawings, and various types of shapes that are incorporated.  I'd like to see more examples of those, and maybe get some ideas from that.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2015, 02:30 AM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #30 on: Jun 14, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Questions on Legacy Armor Assembly

• With the scaled design, is there a preferred method of making the armor shift so you can bend forwards and backwards?
  • How do you mount the top part so it lets the other parts scale below it in layers?
  • Does anyone use any kind of foam padding to make sure the layers don't catch on each other, or crack under movement?
  • Is there a danger to curving the Sintra too drastically to make the layered look?
  • Is legacy armor more prone to damage and cracking than the default Boba design?

Any reference pictures would be a tremendous help!

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2015, 06:25 AM by Evad » Logged

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #31 on: Jun 14, 2015, 08:40 PM »
Using individual plates for the scales that have a slight overlap mounted with nylon strapping running along the inside with chicago screws attaching to the plates. Extreme bends in any material will weaken it's internal strength. Go through the legacy armor builds (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=167.0) to check out reference pictures, Ashen Kelborn has a good set of layered plates in between standard and legacy.

« Reply #32 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Great WIP so far. Love the design.  I have a custom legacy kit on the back burner and have an early crusader kit in progress and nearing completion. 

To put a little insight in,  the overlap and flexibly is definitely a concern to nail down.   I would recommend leaning towards 6mm sintra over 3mm. It is much more durable and is thick enough that you can route out an overlap lip in a double tongue. I would recommend using heavy grade nylon elastic to connect the plates with chicago screws.  Webbing won't really allow for flex. I've tested both.  You can also layer multiple strips of elastic to create a stronger hold.

Just my thoughts.  Looking forward to this kit coming along.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #33 on: Jun 15, 2015, 02:04 AM »
Back Plate Concept Design

Without Torso Reference

With Torso Reference

Backplate Description

I'm banking on making the back plate one piece that mold to my back.  I do plan on adding some details that will stand out from the single piece.  Specifically I want to add a spin guard as a series of blocks that taper down along the spine.  I also want to do something around the border of the sides, but not sure on the look of that just yet.  I've seen other legacy armor builds with a layered back plate, but I like the singularity of a single plate for a more exposed part. 

Backplate Paper Template

After the initial testing once I cut out the pattern, I found that the curve beneath my arms needed a much deeper cut.  After that it looked rather good, except the hard points that wrap around.  They'll need to be rounded much more than that in order for the kit to sit comfortably. 

Responses

After looking through the various pictures that you linked for me Natan (which I thank you for) I have a better idea of how to mount the sections of the front together.  I still am trying to wrap my head around how the layers may slide beneath each other if I bend forward.  I don't want them pressing into me, or crushing on each other if I have to bend forward.  That would be counterproductive.  I wonder if anyone with Legacy armor might be able to tell me if they have trouble bending over, or how they may have conquered that issue. 

I do plan to use 6mm for the upper chest piece, and then 3mm for the other two parts of that.  That'll give me the effect I'm looking for, and I'm thinking I'll attach it with sewn in velcro strips on the shoulders for easier mounting, and then at the sides near my ribs for extra stability.  I know that part will be a little heavier. 

Still to Come

• Front Collar/Gorget Design
  • Shoulders/Pauldron Design

Flightsuit Purchased!

Purchased a FlightSuit from The Working Person's Store --> http://workingperson.com/

Purchased an Extra Large as I heard reports that it might shrink in the wash.  Good news is, it was only about $58.00 w/shipping cost, so I'm not out a ton of money if it doesn't fit, and they have a good exchange program that I can get a larger size if I need to.  Exact link to the product I purchased --> http://workingperson.com/dickies-mens-48700-gy-grey-deluxe-cotton-coveralls.html

Pictures

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2015, 08:37 PM by Evad » Logged

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #34 on: Jun 15, 2015, 02:49 AM »
Before a tech team member comes in and gets you for it, modify previous posts instead of double posting. If your thread has been inactive for days and you have an update then you can post again. For a 30 minute update please modify with the modify button in the top right of your last post.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #35 on: Jun 15, 2015, 02:50 AM »
The flightsuit arrived, but unfortunately it was much larger than I anticipated it to be.  According to the reviews, everyone recommended washing it first so it would shrink down, but it doesn't shrink nearly as much as i would need, and the tailoring would cost more than it did.  So right now I am attempting to sell the flightsuit I have, and order another one that is just a large.  Hopefully that will be what I need - but this time I'll learn from my mistake and simply return it if it doesn't meet the size I need.

Update

My second flightsuit has arrived and it's nearly a perfect fit.  I won't truly know if ti needs tailoring until I get it looked at by some of clan Rancor.  I also received my flak vest from K'ramm.  That also seems to have some fitting issues, but again, it'll need to be looked at.  On the 23rd I'll be attending my first armor party, and that will help a great deal in understanding of I need to get anything tailored or redone in order to fit me properly.  I should also have a pretty good start on my armor plating through that party. 

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2015, 10:29 PM by Evad » Logged

Evad

• Shereshoy
Re: Get'al Aran Beskar'gam WIP
« Reply #36 on: Aug 31, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Chest Plates
Rough Cut

At the last Armor Party hosted by Rancor clansmen Tyno Krast, I cut out the pieces for both my chest plates and my back plate.  They are still rough in the shape and design, but I do like that they came out in relative size for what I need.  I still need to work on forming them, and will have to engineer some of the solutions we talked about on that Sunday. 

Below you will find what I plan to do with these plates as a starting design.

Explanation

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Rough Plate Form

Chest Plates

Back Plate

This was my first attempt at using a heat gun to mold the Sintra plates.  Each piece was molded over the duct tape torso, while the flak vest was already on it.  I then took each piece I formed and scraped sidewalk chalk on the under part and placed it back onto the torso to give a rough outline for each plate.  From there I molded each piece and then I stacked them and re-worked the molding so they fit against each other.  There's a lot of imperfections in the shape of the plates, and a lot of the corners and edges need to be sanded and rounded.  Still, I think the bumps and scratches will only add to the texture and weathering process.

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Ordered through NME on 6/15/15
  • Flight Suit - Obtained
  • Vest - Obtained
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Purchased PVC
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Purchased Fabric
  • Weapons - Dual Pistols - Bondo, Sanding, Painting / Dagger - Redesigning / Rifle and hold out blaster Design Phase
  • Boots - Pre-order phase
  • Gloves - Pre-order phase
  • Kama - Design Phase

Suggestions? / Feedback?

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 10:50 PM by Evad » Logged

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2015, 12:50 AM »
Watching with much interest.

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2015, 01:58 AM »
Shknee Design 1.0

Plain view

From what I've read about these armor pieces, they are subject to quite a bit more flexing than the other plates that might be strapped onto the kit.  With the ankle allowing a lot of movement, they need to be fairly able to hold onto the boot itself.  This design is intended to rest over the crest of the ankle and afix to the boot, with the top diamond sticking above the boot's entry point.  Whether or not this would actually cover my knee would depend entirely on the boot I get.

Folding Design

The blue lines indicate where I intend to have the material wrap around the actual boot.  I don't want them to fully conceal the boot, as I intend to use some straps to lash them to the material itself.  I want to be able to take off the armor pieces without having to harm the boot - and I don't think it'll be much of an issue to get some solid straps to do the job.  I also may forego straps and just use Chicago screws to punch holes into the boot and afix it there.  Not sure yet.

Boot Reference

This isn't the boot I've picked out (as I haven't purchased a pair of boots yet) but it is good reference material for what I'm going for here. 

Suggestions and Comments welcome!

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2015, 05:54 AM »
Posting to watch how this unfolds.  Great WIP documentation - loving the approach and how things are coming together!

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #41 on: Sep 11, 2015, 06:22 AM »
This is a wild concept. Nice work so far vod! Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #42 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:18 AM »
It's crazy how much detail you've put into your WIP, I love it!!  The design looks super cool, I'm glad you got the green light from the app team.  Can't wait to see the finished kit!

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Sep 12, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Your shnees look quite similar to mine - I didn't want to mark up my boots so the straps are what holds them on. I used thin dog collars for strapping and I just glued them to the back of my boots with e6000. It hasn't fallen apart yet :P

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #44 on: Sep 13, 2015, 05:25 AM »
Your shnees look quite similar to mine - I didn't want to mark up my boots so the straps are what holds them on. I used thin dog collars for strapping and I just glued them to the back of my boots with e6000. It hasn't fallen apart yet :P

I have heard of the wonders of E6000 - and I plan to make liberal use of the magic glue.  I like your beskar'gam ner'vod - great quality on the weathering, and the paint job is seamless.  I've just relaized that I have a little over ninety days to get a kit ready for the Star wars premiere.  I'd love to go in full kit with my Rancor brethren - but I'm not sure if it can happen.  I know I won't be official by that time (at least I can't even fathom that dream), but I want to wear something to show off my Mando Pride.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #45 on: Sep 13, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Let me give you some advice. Building a kit - a good kit - takes time. Not just hours invested, but also those dry spells when you aren't inspired, and the planning stages when you aren't actively building. I know it's tempting to give yourself a big deadline, but if you rush your kit to be done before it's ready you may wind up impacting its overall quality.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on what you want and what you need to do. You know the pace you can work at better than anyone - don't push yourself beyond what you can do  :)

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #46 on: Sep 13, 2015, 03:59 PM »
Oddly enough, I cannot rush this - even if I wanted to.  All of the ability I have to actually construct my kit relies on how often I can visit my parent's house.  My Dad's workshop is the only space I have available to do most of this work - and as I cannot visit them every weekend, it really slows down the progression of how quickly I can progress from step to step.  The armor parties for my clan are sporadic too, so the deadline is kind of a way to keep me focused, because I can be away for months at a time if I don't have a goal in mind.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #47 on: Sep 13, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Ah, I gotcha. I find I get the most done if I'm working with someone - it's much harder to procrastinate that way  :laugh:

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Boots Ordered

RedWing 8 inch boot

I'll be getting a pair of these in about a week and a half.  They are very comfortable and come with a lifetime warranty.  They were rather expensive, but the investment is a good choice, as I can continue to use them forever.  Really won't need to invest in another unless something goes horribly wrong.  The only downside is that I'll have to use straps, as I can't ruin the boot by punching holes in it for the armor plates.

Updated Checklist

• Helmet - Ordered through NME on 6/15/15
  • Flight Suit - Obtained
  • Vest - Obtained
  • Armor Plates - Partially molded/Other parts in design phase
  • Gauntlets - Purchased PVC
  • Girth BeltPre-Design Phase
  • Cape - Purchased Fabric
  • Weapons - Dual Pistols - Bondo, Sanding, Painting / Dagger - Redesigning / Rifle and hold out blaster Design Phase
  • Boots - Ordered through RedWingShoes on 9/21/15
  • Gloves - Pre-order phase
  • Kama - Design Phase

Meshurkaan

• Dcon 2014 "Sleepytime" Award recipient.
  • The Nap'alore
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #49 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:38 AM »
I cannot get over your WIP layout. Can you do that for me too?! It's so  incredible you must do it for a living! I'm loving the designs as well. It's coming along nicely! But I must ask, what's your color scheme?!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!