Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first helmet.

• 44 Replies
Re: My first helmet.
« Reply #25 on: Aug 28, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Well, I am definitely going to be getting/ordering a visor today. Still torn on what I want. A mirrored visor would be pretty awesome with the colors I've chosen. Thanks for the compliments. Having put so much time into my buy'ce, (about 40-50 hours), It really feels good to know I did a decent job. Next step will be attaching ear caps and a range finder or antenna.  I just don't know how I want to mount it on there, I was thinking a piece of sintra on the inside to anchor screws, then just screw right through the side into my sintra ear cap. Any thoughts would be great. Oya!

Keeping the settlements free of beasties, one nexu at a time.
« Reply #26 on: Aug 28, 2015, 11:02 AM »
First off, sorry for the double post. I went ahead and ordered a visor from t-visor.com, It was the same price as ordering a replacement welding shield, and I decided that I didn't want to look through green glass. On a side note, I realized I didn't have an updated pic of my helmet with the weathering redone just a bit (sometimes less is more). Also, any tips on carbon scoring for blaster marks? Here ya go burcyan! Oya!

« Reply #27 on: Aug 28, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I've actually gotten some decent weathering and blade marks using a plastic knife. It scratches enough that you can see it but doesn't go very deep so you don't get exposed filler.  Also used the knife to lightly scratch up some areas.
Granted, I'm no expert. Here's a thread that helped me a lot with my detailing so far!
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=23514.0

Bob A. Fett: Traveling Mandalorian Businessman at your service.
Helmet and Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96839.0

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2015, 07:32 PM »
I've seen folk do carbon scoring using charcoal powder sealed with clear coat an also using pastels smudged with a finger.

« Reply #29 on: Aug 31, 2015, 10:44 PM »
Ok, my visor is en-route and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installing it to make sure I don't mess it up, as I cannot afford another right now. It is coming from T-visor.com. I have been doing what research I can, but advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Honestly I use hot glue but my next visor will be put in with screws

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Awesome thanks for the input,  I think hot glue would be iffy in our humidity. Velcro honestly sounds pretty awesome,  I didn't think of that,  I might start with it and move on to something a little more permanent, I will probably use screws and tabs in the long run as it seems like a permanent mounting system for multiple visors. Well,  hopefully it will come in today with the mail,  I am pretty excited considering I have been looking at this half finished buy'ce in top of my bookshelf.

I know I'm not the only one who has gone through this.  :P

« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Awesome thanks for the input,  I think hot glue would be iffy in our humidity. Velcro honestly sounds pretty awesome,  I didn't think of that,  I might start with it and move on to something a little more permanent, I will probably use screws and tabs in the long run as it seems like a permanent mounting system for multiple visors. Well,  hopefully it will come in today with the mail,  I am pretty excited considering I have been looking at this half finished buy'ce in top of my bookshelf.

I know I'm not the only one who has gone through this.  :P

DOn't sweat it. I finihsed mine but it's been chillin on my kitchen table for over a week now.  :laugh: I think its a good reminder to keep going :)

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0
« Reply #33 on: Sep 06, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Oya burcyan, I am happy to report that my visor came in. I gave it a quick heating up in a water bath to get the curve adjusted, and right now it is being held in with velcro, some pretty serious stuff i might add, might have been overkill. I am going with some thinner velcro as soon as I get some, and quite possibly use the tab method. Oh yea, and I decided to add a piece to the front (still have to weather it a bit) to accent the "gills" I am going to use as earcaps (because I'm a swimmy Mando). I am just super happy with it myself. I need to start figuring out something for a little more airflow now. I personally like that the velcro spread out, as opposed to a solid line of it, adds a bit of ventilation to the visor area. Please let me know what you think!

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #34 on: Sep 07, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Looks great vod and I dig the new grill on there

« Reply #35 on: Sep 08, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Small update. In case you were wondering, here is the beginning of my "gills"/intake earcap. the other one is going to have an led flashlight (modified of course) and  a couple antennas.

« Reply #36 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:45 AM »
First earcap done, just have to get the screws and washers I need to mount.

« Reply #37 on: Sep 11, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Progress on the other earcap. I still need to figure out what I want to use as my antennas, and find a light to use. I will be sanding and painting it soon, (painting depending on this weather... so much rain in the next couple days.) Oya!!!

« Reply #38 on: Sep 11, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Those ear caps look sick. What kind of paint/weathering did you use to get that look?

Bob A. Fett: Traveling Mandalorian Businessman at your service.
Helmet and Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96839.0
« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Thanks a bunch vod, I am quite happy with them myself!To answer your question, I primed it first and hit the inside of the vents with black spray paint.I then taped off the front and re-primed the outside, hit everything exterior with silver leaf rub n buff, then some dry brushing with black acrylic. I think the vent is going to work well with my rebreather/jetpack (which I plan on installing a portable a/c inside, and porting directly into the helmet.) :)

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Fantastic work on the ear caps!  I love that vent on the visor too.  Looks great!!

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #41 on: Sep 14, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Ok, my visor is en-route and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installing it to make sure I don't mess it up, as I cannot afford another right now. It is coming from T-visor.com. I have been doing what research I can, but advice would be greatly appreciated.

Probably a bit late on this, but had to solve the problem myself at the weekend - this is the solution that worked for me...

Small screws, and using kitchen cabinet screw head covers for washers/covers for the screw heads - so you don't get a face full of screw heads when you put on your helmet.  (Full WIP thread here)

« Reply #42 on: Sep 19, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Ok, so this next part I'm nervous about. I need to find a way to attach the ear caps, and I was thinking of using some screws and washers. My plan is to put a piece of sintra on the inside to act as my anchor plate. Just nervous about drilling into my buy'ce.

Pic of the other earcap now.

« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2015, 10:25 AM »
What about just using some e6000 or a bit of epoxy? That would save you from having to drill into your helmet, and it should give you a pretty strong hold.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2015, 10:29 AM »
I'd say use epoxy or some Chicago screws.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!