Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Valkir's WIP Late Crusade armor (SWTOR based) 3D printed armor

• 65 Replies
I have started the CAD side of my Late Crusade armor, I wanted to make sure using a specific model from SWTOR was acceptable before I began work as this will be an intensive build in time and money.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92867.msg1358382#msg1358382

I work in CAD making miniatures for table top gaming as my day job, so when I wanted to feed my Boba Fett-ish it seemed a natural choice.

I am tall, 6’5” so I am a bit large for a canon Boba, I have no interest in making a Vader or Wookie costume…. Poking around I found you guys and as I sometimes play SWTOR I had just the thing in mind 

I will use an FDM printer to bring the CAD files into the real world as wearable armor. Here is my ultimate goal. I wanted to keep it as true to the original model as I could so I made a set of cardboard calipers and started measuring my knoggin. 10” deep tip of the nose to back of the skull, 7.25” wide ear to ear and 9.5” tall chin to top of head.

I took a CAD human dummy and started my tweaking there, this provided me with a 3D representation of my head dimensions. As I use Rhino 3D for my CAD work, it provides accurate measurements down to the micron. I use Zbrush for most of my organic modeling but nothing does hard plate armor like Rhino.

This is where I begin my journey… Using screen grabs from the game I start roughing in the initial shape, knowing full well a bucket with tapered sided was not the final goal.

You can see me working through the process, refining the shape. The shape is a little more complex than you would think, there is a change in form at the front of the helmet, it’s not just a cut the nose off kind of thing. After a couple hours of tweaking I have the basic form where I want it but I need to go back and rebuild the face area from scratch to refine the eye slot and the nose area and make the design fit as close as I can get it to the in game model.

While working through this process, I discovered the ears were not in the right place for a human… I had to move their position and refine the helmet details to match their revised placement.

Here you can see a 95% completed helmet.
I threw some quickie textures on it just to give it a spin. As Shea Viz has some great close up art I patterned my mic tips? off of hers. I tried to copy every detail present in the game model. The game model is fairly plain but that’s fine by me as it more closely matches Fett, where Shea Viz is much more busy and the shape of her helmet more curved and form fitting.

I will keep this build log rolling until the entire armor is complete, I thank you for stopping in and viewing my WIP. Please feel free to make suggestions or ask questions.

All the best!
V

Boz Ving

• The Hero of Jakku
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Valkir's WIP Late Crusade armor (SWTOR based)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Dude that's amazing!

"The armor I wear is 500 years old. I reforged it to my liking, but the battles, the history, the blood, all lives within it, and the same goes for every Mandalorian."-Sabine Wren

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:30 PM »
I really like that helmet look  8) Can't wait to see more progress!  ;)

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35 PM »
 I likes it a lot too but how u print somthing that big in sections?

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40 PM »
I likes it a lot too but how u print somthing that big in sections?

The printer I have coming will deal with 12" square, so the helmet will be one piece the chest will need to be broken up.

(The small detail parts on the helmet will need to be done on a different printer, as FDM does not give the surface quality for small details.)

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:59 AM »
You have entirely too much skill vod. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Mando707

• ∆∆∆ DRAL EDEE ∆∆∆ Teren Clan, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:40 AM »
I don't even know whAt To say ... Aside from Rock and Roll... Doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in Star Wars land, but what do I know? Incredible job and can't wait to see this project I'm real life.

Kill or kill not, I eat large Fries....
∆∆∆ DRAL EDEE ∆∆∆ Teren Clan, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 11:28 PM »
I don't even know whAt To say ... Aside from Rock and Roll... Doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in Star Wars land, but what do I know? Incredible job and can't wait to see this project I'm real life.

Heh, yeah it comes from the Star Wars The Old Republic MMO... I hear you though, A lot of designs coming from the comic books are new to me. This kind of thing like the comic books fall under the 'expanded universe'.

Zeafus

• Scorched Earth Studios
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41 PM »
I hope i run into you one day so i can check out that helmet in person. Its freaking sweet

Zeafus V.1 Armor Components WIP- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92479.0
Special Weapons Brigade WIP (Pistoleer)- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=112447.0.
Scorched Earth Studios Forum Sales Thread- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=118198.0
MMCC- #1320
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) a Society for current and former military - #34
M.L.C.S. #1
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 04:26 AM »
The long wait for the Kickstarter printer is over!

My Raise3D N2Plus arrived in good condition. After a few small test prints to get the feel for the software, printer and materials I finished up the helmet and jumped right in.

I settled on PETG as my build material, it has some flexibility and is very impact resistant. PETG can be a pain to print in and there are very few solvents that can be used to glue parts together, lucky for me, this is a monster sized printer.

I needed to do a bit more work on the CAD model and shell the model for the proper wall thickness, I tried to keep it at about 1/4 inch thickness for strength.
I removed the ears and mic. to print them separately, I made the ear sections hollow so that I could put some screening over some small detail holes to aid in hearing while the helmet is on. I may take apart some shooters ear muffs and put the electronics in to use as amplifiers.

Here is the first shot of the helmet being printed, we are about 24 hours in on a print that will take nearly 200 hours to complete. I could have easily done it in a quarter of the time but that would mean a less desirable finish and more time spent on cleanup... Plus this gives me a good chance to work out if there are issues with the printer as a torture test will show if there are mechanical issues I need to worry about.

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 04:56 AM »
Amazing! How much does a printer that can build that large of an object run for? If you dont mind me asking.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 05:05 AM »
The kickstarter price was $2600 or so. They are now $3300.00 still expensive but compared to a makerbot Z18 at $6300.00 its one hell of a deal. Heated bed and enclosed with a 12x12x24 build area. So far it has been stupid simple to operate and is giving great results so I am pleased with the printer.

You can take a gander here:
http://www.raise3d.com/products/raise3d-n2-plus-pre-order-fdm-3d-printer

Zeafus

• Scorched Earth Studios
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21 AM »
The long wait for the Kickstarter printer is over!

My Raise3D N2Plus arrived in good condition. After a few small test prints to get the feel for the software, printer and materials I finished up the helmet and jumped right in.

I settled on PETG as my build material, it has some flexibility and is very impact resistant. PETG can be a pain to print in and there are very few solvents that can be used to glue parts together, lucky for me, this is a monster sized printer.

I needed to do a bit more work on the CAD model and shell the model for the proper wall thickness, I tried to keep it at about 1/4 inch thickness for strength.
I removed the ears and mic. to print them separately, I made the ear sections hollow so that I could put some screening over some small detail holes to aid in hearing while the helmet is on. I may take apart some shooters ear muffs and put the electronics in to use as amplifiers.

Here is the first shot of the helmet being printed, we are about 24 hours in on a print that will take nearly 200 hours to complete. I could have easily done it in a quarter of the time but that would mean a less desirable finish and more time spent on cleanup... Plus this gives me a good chance to work out if there are issues with the printer as a torture test will show if there are mechanical issues I need to worry about.

This bucket makes me giggle from how awesome it looks. Im so excited to see it finished.

Zeafus V.1 Armor Components WIP- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92479.0
Special Weapons Brigade WIP (Pistoleer)- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=112447.0.
Scorched Earth Studios Forum Sales Thread- http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=118198.0
MMCC- #1320
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) a Society for current and former military - #34
M.L.C.S. #1
Re: Valkir's WIP Late Crusade armor (SWTOR based) 3D printed armor
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I restarted the print last night, it was not liking being printed with the helmet upside down. The supports on the inside were not sticking to the inside walls. I flipped it over as the supports should have no problem when attached to the build table.

I also changed the thickness of the walls down to about 3/16. the 1/4+ was overkill. I could have beaten the helmet with a 2X4 and I doubt you could break it and the added weight was not needed. Guess I just needed to sacrifice a spool of filament to the print gods...

Second print started last night, about 100 hours remaining.

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Vod this is beyond awesome!

« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:01 PM »
would you release the file you used for this armor on thingiverse?

Jedisalamander, OC: Meshura Ordo.

She/They

NeX

• Merc# 1189 - M.V.S. #033
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2016, 07:05 AM »
would you release the file you used for this armor on thingiverse?

^ this

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2016, 02:16 PM »
I have been busy with a few other things so my posts are not as timely as I would like.

Here you can see the helmet nearly complete, this was my third attempt at printing, I had turned it the other way but had a nozzle clog and some support issues. It wasted a lot of support material when it was sitting right side up so I decided to change the type of support to a more robust format, this would make cleaning more difficult but the supports would be more secure. So I flipped it over and started again.

I had some issue with Y axis wobble in the print, leaving a wobbly print the closer it got to the door (termination of the Y axis) Not a big deal as I can clean that up but certainly not ideal… I will be looking for the cause and fix shortly. Likely it is a loose screw or belt on that axis that I will need to look after.

Happy to see a completed print, I removed it from the bed and got to work removing the supports and putting down the first layer of primer to start the surface cleanup… Lots of work to be done. I ordered some files, which are on the way to assist in cleaning out some of the areas such as the ridges in the helmet.

While I wait on the files, I started printing the ear sections.

As to your question, will I post the file, Yes, I intend to but likely not on the normal public channels, I want them to be available to the Mando Mercs but I have not liked the trend of late of people grabbing them and selling them on Ebay. I need to give it some thought and find a good solution that makes it available to you but keeps it away from those that profiteer from others time and energy. Yeah I know, it will likely end up there anyways but I will do what I can.

Anyways, still working out the first print to see if I need to revise anything or if I can improve the design, like making the ear details twist on so you can have access to any electronics you want to place in them, lights, sound amp, etc.

Mojo Khuriso

• "Ni copikla gar runi"-I desire your soul
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Jun 19, 2016, 02:26 PM »
That's some incredible work!! As an avid player of SWTOR...that bucket is spot on!!! Can't wait to see this completed!!!

I can smell your fear...this hunt will be all too easy...
« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Thanks Vod, I try  :P

Having the ortho views from the game was a huge help, then being able to go back on the game, spin my toon and then spin the CAD work to confirm was also a huge help on keeping it as close as possible.

Size wise, its about the same as the cheap Jengo helmet you can get at Amazon but due to its design, slightly more narrow and slightly longer front to back. My nose touches the front of the Jengo, but I have plenty of clearance with this bucket. Those with wide heads might have an issue with this bucket? If you measure ear tip to ear tip (side to side) by use of cardboard calipers and you come up with a measurement more than 6.75" (6.5" or less being optimal) it may not be so comfortable to get on and off... The open ear design allows for your ears to fill the large opening on the side once its on but if you knoggin is wide, it might be a squeeze until it sits where it is supposed to.

« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Good lord that is amazing.

If you decide to mold that and make production copies, let us ALL know. That bucket is amazing.

Like art, a build is never truly done.

aforklikeutensil

• Porgiatrician
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Love it.  I'll be watching this closely.

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:44 PM »
That's awesome!  Great design! Got to love 3D printers

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP
« Reply #23 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:47 PM »
That looks fantastic.  :o
What resolution did you print at?
Is that 300x300 bed? Looks like a solid machine.

« Reply #24 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:51 PM »
That looks fantastic.  :o
What resolution did you print at?
Is that 300x300 bed? Looks like a solid machine.

I printed at their speed setting  8) the layer height was 2.5mm. When I printed the little breathers on the face (not in picture) I printed at .05mm so that I had not lines in the print. Whit the acceptation of my 'Y' wobble issue which I am chasing down the cause it is a fantastic machine.

Good lord that is amazing.

If you decide to mold that and make production copies, let us ALL know. That bucket is amazing.

Seriously considering it.... I have about 15 years of resin casting experience, problem is, I dislike casting.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!