Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Valkir's WIP Late Crusade armor (SWTOR based) 3D printed armor

• 65 Replies
Re: Valkir's WIP Late Crusade armor (SWTOR based) 3D printed armor
« Reply #50 on: Jul 13, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Valkir, this is in response to your posts on the 11. Please refrain from double posting. In the future please use the edit button to add to the post.

Double posting is in breach of the forum rules that can be found here http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=84.0

Specifically rule 3.3

Gotcha... folded the two posts together.

All the major parts have now been roughed in, now I go back and start adding details. Unfortunately, this armor is not in any of the high quality teasers or introduction videos where they add a slew of new details to the armor… such as they did for Shea Vizsla and a few other designs, so I do not have the cinematic quality references to bounce off of.

I started detailing the right arm first. As the helmet does not have a range finder/target tracker I decided to add an arm mounted unit, next to it is either a plasma torch for cutting bulkheads or a laser or flamer… guess it depends on if I go with a Brigade at some point and what the requirements are.

The left arm…. Hrmmm, not sure what I will do. What I have in these shots is the typical SWTOR flamer mount with a large angular cover. It is very SWTOR Mando but I am not in love with the design.

Here are a couple of shots of that is under the cover…

I could just as easily mirror the left arm to the right, skip the flamer (or whatever it turns out to be) and it would be good to go for the Fire Commando design that is found on the SWTOR site.

What do you think? I really could use some feedback as I am torn on what to do with that left arm.
If you have an opinion or suggestion, please chime in!

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #51 on: Jul 13, 2016, 05:58 PM »
I love it vod! What do you use for the modeling and is it easy to use? I'd like to model a few things for printing and pepakura. :)

« Reply #52 on: Jul 13, 2016, 06:05 PM »
I love it vod! What do you use for the modeling and is it easy to use? I'd like to model a few things for printing and pepakura. :)

Heya Den,

What you see is modeled in Rhino, it is a NURBS modeler rather than a polygonal modeler. Easy to use? not at first, all 3d software has a learning curve. You can expect to be frustrated for a bit. My best advice would be pick up a free download such as milkshape or another poly modeler and watch a bunch of youtube videos that teach the basics... You will be scratching your head for a while but just keep pushing and it will click for you at some point.

Check with the people on the pepakura site for their advice, there may be software that they recommend for that app.

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #53 on: Jul 13, 2016, 06:23 PM »
Heya Den,

What you see is modeled in Rhino, it is a NURBS modeler rather than a polygonal modeler. Easy to use? not at first, all 3d software has a learning curve. You can expect to be frustrated for a bit. My best advice would be pick up a free download such as milkshape or another poly modeler and watch a bunch of youtube videos that teach the basics... You will be scratching your head for a while but just keep pushing and it will click for you at some point.

Check with the people on the pepakura site for their advice, there may be software that they recommend for that app.

Ok! Thanks vod. I'll look into the milkshake. :) I understand the blender modeling program a little(VERY little). Is it similar, or would you say it's harder?

« Reply #54 on: Jul 13, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Ok! Thanks vod. I'll look into the milkshake. :) I understand the blender modeling program a little(VERY little). Is it similar, or would you say it's harder?

Blender is also a good start... I would say try both and see if one makes more sense than the other. It comes down to what you like in the menu layout. I use Zbrush quite a bit for organic models but I had a hard time at first with their menu controls as they are not like anything ells in the CAD arena but Zbrush also does things almost all other modelers cannot.  Do not look at Zbrush for your application, it is not a good fit as it lacks many CAD features that you will need. such as real world scales, etc.

Seriously, I would hit up people who are using the Pepakura and see what they think the best program would be and go from there.

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ________________

This will likely be the last time I have all the components assembled into a single model. This is my last look at the components as a whole and tweak them for scaling and proportion so that the completed armor looks good as a whole.

I pulled in the 3d model of myself and started adjusting the individual components for scale, attempting to make the overall representation as slim as possible while still retaining the more desirable proportions. I narrowed the leg armor, arm armor, chest and shoulders as much as I could and added a few minor tweaks to better fit my body.

Here are the final proportions of the armor.

It is far too difficult to work on individual components while they are on the model and posed in various angles. The next step is to take each component and lay them out in orthographic views and begin detailing them as it seems appropriate and splitting them for assembly (how you would get into them, i.e. front and back leg halves) and laying them out for print.

« Reply #55 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Here we have a bit of work completed on the legs.

Working on details can be tricky when your model only has a 1/8" shell... I need to backfill behind any in-cut details to keep the thickness uniform, I also need to make sure I am not adding too much thickness in some areas so that I can keep a good about of flex in areas lie the lower leg where in meets the foot.

Here are some shots with a bit of color added to help show some of the surface detail.

Now off to work on the arms and chest….

Taakur Beroya

• Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.
« Reply #56 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10:52 PM »
You are an artist vod, these models are amazing

"Rectitude carried to excess hardens into stiffness; benevolence indulged beyond measure sinks into weakness."

"The Empire's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

Dar'manda

« Reply #57 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Can't wait to see everything put together vod!

Niyic

• Vode An
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #58 on: Jul 23, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Very nice surfacing work. :)

Zaeth Grak

• The hunt is far more satisfying than the kill.
« Reply #59 on: Jul 26, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I will be following this build with great interest. I always wanted to attempt 3D printing, I just don't have the access to a printer or the ability to get one as of this point in time. Great, great work, vod! Good luck with the rest.

"War does not determine who is right, only who is left."
« Reply #60 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Thanks Vode!

I just started printing the legs... this is going to take a while :P

I settled on a filament for the lower legs... going with Taulman Bridge Nylon because it has some flex and crazy good layer bonding. The problem with Nylon is that it is a pain to print and absorbs moisture... eight hours in the oven at 170 looks like it did the trick to dry it out.

If you look at the lower leg, you will not see a front and back half, it has a hidden split under the detail in the back, with the flex Nylon gives it will allow me to slip my foot in as it flexes and it will spring right back to shape. Pretty cool.

I will post some update shots when the print is complete.

I have been working on another weapon while the printer does its job, you can see it in my signature (last link) if you are so inclined.

Cheers!

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #61 on: Aug 30, 2016, 10:18 PM »
I'm in love with the Shae Vizla/Hunter's Exalted bucket! I'm trying to print one myself but the file I have is converted from a Pepakura file and the details arent very good. This looks incredible! Fantastic job!

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #62 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:28 PM »
I am following this with a tremendous interest. 3D printing is so promising for mercs who know the ins and outs, and I think this is showing amazing potential!!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #63 on: Oct 03, 2016, 03:47 AM »
Posting so I get updates on this.
Incredible work vod!!

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Berit Haran

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #64 on: Oct 28, 2016, 05:19 PM »
This is some crazy work, vod! I really love the helmet design...

« Reply #65 on: Apr 29, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Astonishing print and design. I've recently had the chance to review a Raise 3D Pro Plus and searched for any related content here to see if anyone has ever used it to print some cool stuff. And, guy, your helmet turned out great.

I'm really amazed by the build quality of the printer (including the top-notch touchscreen!) as well as its accuracy. No wonder that the brand success is skyrocketing.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!