Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

MMCCBCDBBQE!

• 51 Replies

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
MMCCBCDBBQE!
« on: Jun 03, 2015, 01:58 PM »
You guessed it!    Lets plan The Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club's British Columbia Day BBQ Extravaganza!

Despite it's name, this will be open to all Star Wars costuming clubs [I'll be cross-posting to the 501st garrison board once some details are ironed out] and if someone wants to come from another area, why not.

At the risk of appearing to show favouritism, I'm going to suggest we host it in the Vancouver area since that puts it about 3.5 hours from the Kelowna Kluster of recruits and 3.5 hours travel for the Islanders as well.   There are tons of parks here too.

I was thinking BC Day, which is 3 Aug, as that is a long weekend for most people so we can hopefully get more out-of-towners in.

So, while we hash out exact date and location, does anyone have a grill we can use?

NOTE: Turns out the 501st has an event that weekend that will have a bunch of them out of town so I'm moving the BBQ to 11 July, still at Keswick Park in the interest of keeping it as cross-club-friendly as possible.

NOTE:  Mixed up the dates, their event is the following weekend.  We're back to the original plan.   Sorry for he confusion.   The lamas have been sacked.

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2015, 02:42 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
Re: MMCCBCDBBQE!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I got a charcoal BBC we can use and will this be an in costume event

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:53 PM »
I'm thinking casual.   bring what you want to show off, but just friends in a park having a bbq and ... doing... whatever "normal" people do in parks and at bbq's...    if people want, we could do it out at Buntzen Lake and kit up for a woodland photoshoot I suppose... though I imagine that place will be PACKED on a long weekend...

Late Crusader WIP

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2015, 08:15 PM »
If I can speak for islanders, the ferry is absolute murder on holidays and long weekends. Most of the time it's a one or two sailing wait, and that's not fun at the best of times.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2015, 08:26 PM »
That said, Zophar has kindly offered to pick us all up on the other side... which means we could drop off our car(s) in Nanaimo and then walk on, skipping all those terrible waits as you say.

Right Zophar? No pressure. :)

First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Absolutely.    It may not be me, but if you can organize all of the islanders to come in on one trip we can arrange pickups on this side and save the cost of the car.   Or all take one car on.

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Well on any other weekend, one car works fine, but as GG pointed out quite aptly, a holiday weekend means we are camping in the parking lot if we are going to bring a car across. So yes, I think on the islanders' part, we can all arrive for the same ferry, be it car pooling or all in our own cars and we will meet the pickup crew on the other side.

Thanks sir.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Sorry, completely missed GardenGeek's post.   We'll make it work on this  side if you can all get on the same sailing.

Anyone on the Okanagan crew want to try to organize a ride share in from there?

Late Crusader WIP

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2015, 11:52 PM »
Actually.. the reason I suggested a long weekend was that those coming from the Island and the valley would prefer that and maybe stay in Vancouver overnight rather than come all the way in for a couple hours and have to turn around.    If it is more hassle on a long weekend, maybe that wasn't the right idea?

I'm also thinking one of the big parks like Buntzen lake is going to be a bad idea, we should have it at one of the smaller parks around town like Keswick Park where there won't be massive crowds and we can possibly enjoy ourselves more.  Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015, 11:58 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2015, 12:45 AM »
As great as this sounds, I won't be able to attend :( Being 19, a late high-school graduate (just need a few more credits), having no money, no car, and no job for that matter, I have way too much life to do this summer. I'm actually kinda stepping away from anything Mercs until all that stuff gets sorted, aside from keeping up with what's going on with your guys' builds.

Good luck! I hope to see plenty of pictures if this works out!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2015, 12:46 AM »
You can't have a life, you are only a kid!      Sorry to hear it.    If there was a carpool available, would that change anything?

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2015, 02:31 AM »
What he said, you're too young to have a life. :) We'll just have to bring the party to Serim's. :D

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2015, 02:48 AM »
Also, if you are 19, why are you not OM yet?   Slacker!    :D     

Late Crusader WIP

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2015, 04:54 AM »
You can't have a life, you are only a kid!
Also, if you are 19, why are you not OM yet?   Slacker!    :D     

This sounds hypocritical to me :P I can't get OM without a life to pay for, but I'm too young to have a life, but I'm a slacker for not being OM yet :rolleyes: :P

Unfortunately, even if there were a carpool available (which there isn't since CamBedore has copious amounts of training to do for various reasons, and I can't think of anyone else who'd care to haul me up over the Coque) I couldn't come since I couldn't pay my way and I'm not a moocher! :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2015, 02:53 PM »
Alright.    I invited the BC 501st Garrison as well so if any of them are coming from your area and is willing to give a ride, you're riding with them and I'm putting your shebs to work when you get here to earn your keep.   We were all poor 19 year olds at some point, vod.

Late Crusader WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!