Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

wiring a helmet up

• 6 Replies

Dillo

wiring a helmet up
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I fairly new to circuitry, but have been learning.  I am trying to include some electronics into a helmet I am close to completing and would like to know if it is possible/feasible and what the best way to go about it would be.  I am trying to incorporate the workings of a electronic hearing protection muff(shooting muffs), walkie talkie, and voice amplifier.  What I would like to do is have a momentary switch that disconnected or turned off the voice amp and activated the "talk key" on the walkie talkie.

I think I am looking for a switch that when not depressed has circuit 1 (voice amp) closed and circuit 2 (walkie talkie transmit) open, then when depressed circuit 1 would be open and circuit 2 closed).  I have tried to find such a switch and I have had no luck and no idea what it would even be called.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I may be going about this all the wrong way though, so pointing me in the right direction would also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: wiring a helmet up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Just my two cents, but trying to incorporate a walkie talkie and shooting muffs into a helmet seems like overkill and a bit redundant. You'll never need the earpro, and it will just add too much weight to justify using them for audio alone. Same goes for the walkie's.

Now what I would recommend would be getting a voice amp, and running a line out of your helmet. Wearing it on your body is easier than expecting your neck to hold up all that weight for 2+ hours each troop.

Most OMs here tend to include at the very least a voice amp. It makes communication easier and adds "cool factor". :P Some even make use of hearing aid, and that can help with hearing even more than the voice amp.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Dillo

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 08:36 PM »
The shooters muffs are not for hearing protection it is to be a hearing aid.  It equalized all the sound outside.  It brings loud sound down and soft sound up.  The board is only 1"x2" so the weight should be negligable.  The walkie talkie maybe overkill/but was the idea I came up to keep track of/communicate with the kid since we will both be helmeted.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I would not worry about a walkie-talkie, that's old tech that smart phones have made obsolete unless your an 18-wheeler. Instead, incorporate bluetooth 4.0 and sync it to your phone.  There are several good hands-free apps out there that will make full use of your bluetooth/cell connection.

I've never tried shooter's muffs...but I understand what they do.  My only concern is that they are not going to work properly in the helmet.  Yes the helmet dampens external sound, but it also causes your own voice to get louder inside the helmet.  I would be worried that it would be fighting a low/high battle every time you had a conversation with someone.

Voice amps are fairly easy to make and install in your bucket.   

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:52 AM »
I was also thinking about going the electronic shooter muff route. You would probably have to take the muffs apart and mount the mics on the helmet somewhere they would be able to effectively pick up external sound. So depending on how much helmet hearing ads are would decide what the cheaper route would be. They some muffs had an aux port so you can listen to music while shooting. Ive been thinking about out to make that useful in some way. I am also thinking about incorporating bluetooth to answer phone calls. I bought a cheap set of wireless bluetooth head phones from F.Y.E to see if i could get some kind of set up working once my helmets finished.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Dillo. I get you on the walkie talkie. I'm a dad of two and if they were both helmeted I'd want communications too. look into motorcycle helmet systems. they are small and made to do exactly what you want for communications and are made to cancel out background noise from wind and engines. should do well for convention/event noise so you can hear each other. some have amfm radios built in or mp3 connectivity via bluetooth and stop during any communication

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Noctem, this is a great idea that I'm going to shamelessly steal for when my ad'ike start getting big enough to wear their own kits.  (And once I have a bucket of my own, of course.)   :laugh:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!