Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

LittleBits

• 5 Replies
LittleBits
« on: Jun 03, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Hello, so yesterday I stopped by a Radio Shack that was going out of business and happen to come upon these little circuit models and kits called LittleBits. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so could that be used for the electronics in a kit. The company even makes light wire and a fan that could maybe fit in a helmet.

The modules are fairly small and snapped together by magnets.

Jasand

Re: LittleBits
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:54 PM »
We use LittleBits at my library to teach kids the basics of electronics and building circuits.  The fan isn't very powerful, so that might not be best for air in your bucket.  I'm not sure. . .

There are lots of Bits that all do different things.  They're color coded, pink is input (switches, faders, sensors, etc), blue is power (battery connectors), orange is wiring (splitters, extenders, etc), and green is output (lights, vibrators, buzzers, synths, fans, servos, etc).

All bits connect with magnets to secure the circuit.  You can "permanently" bind them with glue/tape, etc.  Sometimes the magnets can slip.  I've built a mars rover using LittleBits and carboard boxes, with coffee cup wheels.  The bits kept coming apart under the stress.

If you can find them cheap, they're a fun toy and great for prototyping.  There are lots of specialty kits available, too.  I don't know what you have in mind for kit-use, but I think they'd work to varying degrees.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2015, 10:05 AM by Jasand » Logged

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Hmm, this is actually very interesting!

Would be an awesome way for beginners to get into helmet (wearable) electronics and not feel so intimidated.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Jasand

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Definitely!  It's a no-fear way to learn about electronics and wiring.

If it sounds interesting to anyone, I highly recommend perusing the projectshttp://littlebits.cc/projects page on their website for ideas about how the kits can be used.  Some projects are simpler than others.  Many require additional crafting material.  Also, you can join local chaptershttp://littlebits.cc/community/chapters via their site and find out about meet-up type events where you can get together with others and experiment.

(I totally don't work for these people, but they're super popular at the library.)

I think there's supposed to be an event coming up called the "BitBots Battle".  LittleBits comes up with a theme and encourages the groups around the world to host an event that fits the theme.  We're hosting one at Brooklyn Public soon.

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Best Blaster: Pistol is the award for the best pistol. Funny that!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2015, 03:27 PM »
That could be a very quick and dirty (actually very clean  :P) way to get electronics into a buy'ce!

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2015, 07:20 AM »
These look awesome to try and use em for a micro phone to plug my earbuds intofor my helmet.

Me "Mom why was 6 afraid of 7?" Mom "Why would a number be afraid of another number?" Me "Because 7, 8, 9!" Mom leaves with a blank look on her face.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!