Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New- from Vancouver Island

• 12 Replies

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
New- from Vancouver Island
« on: Jun 04, 2015, 05:35 AM »
Hi there- I've just moved back to the north Island, though will be spending a chunk of time in Vic this summer, and would love to get together with some Mando islanders in the area.

Im absolutely new to the armour building, but I have a love of crafting in general, sewing especially and love to work on costumes. I also have a background in design and photo editing. Im looking to start on a modern set of armour at first opportunity, though I'm a little nervous about making a bucket :)

Looking forward to meeting you all- and having your input on my projects :)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: New- from Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Wow... they grow like weeds out on the Island!

@Gardengeek - Welcome to the boards.  If you ever make your way to the mainland, I'm in Vancouver along with PadadoxDJ, HappyHunter, and Bassplaya.  Any questions at all, let us know.  Do you know what material you want to use for your armor?   As an example, ParadoxDJ's is sintra, Bassplaya's is aluminum, and mine is fiberglass.  Many people will buy their buckets.    You can get one cast from a member here for as low as $130 or so and go up to... well.. like any hobby, your wallet is the limit :-P  If you WANT to build your bucket, there are a few techniques that work well.   Surf the boards a bit, and when you are ready, we're here to help.

The Red Mandalorian, McCrex and Tylek Ren, another recruit for you Islanders!  At this rate the island will have its own clan before we bother getting around to one for all of BC :P

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Welcome! Glad to see another islander here. We'll definitely have to have a meet up here soon, Tylek is up island in or near CR, I forgot exactly where, I'm in Nanaimo, and Red is down in Victoria. We're a little scattered to the winds.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas

My beginner bucket. Made from a bucket.

Soft kit and armour WIP to come when I get the materials.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Not scattered... strategically placed so as to maximize coverage.      :P

Late Crusader WIP

GardenGeek

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Well it rains all the time here....it helps keep us inside and seek out hobbies. I'm near CR myself, but I frequently travel down island. I would love to be part of a meet up! I was looking through the Clan list, and was definitely disappointed that there wasn't one in this part of Canada- but I'd love to make a kit and be in on the ground floor.

I'm definitely thinking sintra, as I have a sign shop at my disposal, and I've worked with PVC before. I'd love to buy a bucket, but for me it's about the challenge of the build, and doing it myself is important to me. I like building and crafting, somehow already planning a second set of armour when I haven't even started my first. 

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Yes, we are part of a clan which covers all of western Canada at the moment but we're closing in on enough local members to spin off a BC clan of our own.   The problem is the weather here in Vancouver has been so gorgeous all this winter that no real work got done because we were all out enjoying the sun while we had it!    As of right now, we have 3 official members in BC, 2 actively building new kits in Vancouver, 2 actively building out on the Island [3 with you], 2 mostly-active in the Okanagan, and 1 in Prince George who just has to apply and one other in Prince George who is about to start.   So we need half of the in-progress kits to finish and we can spin off a clan.

If you haven't already found it, there is a board in the armor section for female mandos to help plan.  You aren't required to build "blatantly female" armor, but those who choose to can share their tips for making curves chest plates and the like.   You can also surf in the helmets sub-board to look up a build log for the Wizard of Flight templates which you should be able to build out of sintra if that is the way you want to go.     My helmet was built using a pepakura template and fiberglass, which is easier than most people think.

How likely are you to make it to a meetup on the lower mainland?     I normally host an armor party ever second Sunday in Vancouver  but just announced a hiatus for the summer since we're all busy, but if you three could perhaps share a car over on the ferry, I'm sure we can arrange for a big group gathering.  It'll be good to meet you, and to see where the other two clowns are at in their builds ;)

Late Crusader WIP

bassplaya

• Nothing worth doing is easy
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:12 PM »
welcome it's always good to see a new face,

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Welcome to the Mercs of BC! :P I'm one of those guys down in the Okanagan ;)

Seems Zophar's got this advice thing covered, so all I can do is reinforce the suggestion to spend time reading the boards. It's really amazing how many tips and tricks for making Mandos you can find if you just start sifting through the hundreds of threads in the armour boards (or using the search function for specific topics)! Good luck to you, and remember: We're all here to help when you need it! 8)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

GardenGeek

« Reply #8 on: Jun 04, 2015, 07:32 PM »
I come over to the mainland at least once a month, and would love to time it to coincide with a meet up or armour party. 

I'm personally not a fan of the overtly female Mando armour,  don't want to be targeted because the enemy thinks I'm a weak woman :p Will definitely be stalking the boards for advice, no point in trying to reinvent the wheel.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Hello there GardenGeek. As ZP already noted, there are a few of us on the island. I am up in CR and can help out with whatever costume needs you may have. If you have some ideas or want to get some more ideas for planning, there are some great female mandos who have made more 'battle ready' armour as I am thinking you are more interested in. One good friend has done a real bang up Urban Assault kit. Anyways, PM me and perhaps we can get together and go over some of those ideas and start working. Just let us know.

Cheers.

First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2015, 09:43 PM »
welcome to the broad lass .

you can never have to many guns when you hunt

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2015, 09:44 PM »
who you calling broad?     8) :P

Late Crusader WIP

« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Ahahah... oh the joys of a typo.

First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!