Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Back at it...

• 37 Replies

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
Back at it...
« on: Jun 05, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Hello Vods,

Finaly got time to work on my kit.

Here is the begining of my armor.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=84010.0

Lately I have been working on my left gauntlet(made out of 3" PVC pipe) and my belt pouchs.

And the pouchs, I still need to make something so they hold there shape and I need to stain the belt.

Thats it for now.

As always, your comments are always welcome.

Later...

Catika

• "No permanent harm done."
Re: Back at it...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2015, 10:08 PM »
I really like the square cutouts in your gauntlets!! Also nice pouches!

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Those gauntlets look good, we are going to have an armor party this Saturday in Granby if you want to come by.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Awesome! Also love how your helmet has Heinz colors and it's on a Heinz can to boot  :P

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Moving to Armor Components. Planning is just for the planning portion, not the build thread :)

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Moving to Armor Components. Planning is just for the planning portion, not the build thread :)

Wew that crackdown, so many armor wips in the planning section (mine included  :-X)

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Nice work, little bro! Too had you can't make the armor party Saturday... (You're suuuure you can't come???)

Jealous of those gaunts!!!!

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2015, 07:53 AM »

Oups, my bad.  Sorry about that.

Awesome! Also love how your helmet has Heinz colors and it's on a Heinz can to boot  :P

Thanks Briks, my helmet has its own visor now so the Heinz logo is hidden now ;D

Last night I started to shape my back plate. That is one time consuming job.  I understand why its better to have someone help you out for that.

Both gauntlets are done but I think they're on the small side.  Thinking about modifying them to have more room inside and if I can't figure something out I'll have to start from scratch :(.

I had to make my back plate in two peices, do any of you have an idea how to cover the seem?  Will a layer of fiberglass bond properly to PVC follow by "Bondo"?

Thanks for the comments.

P.S. Sorry Tact Kor, can't make it to Granby this week end.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Looking good! Did you go with a strip in behind to strengthen like we talked about last week?

Thinking about it after the fact, if you'd some fiber cloth between your back support and let it come through the 2 outer parts, you could've cut strips and alternated them on either side before doing resin on them, then bondoed over it... To be hones though, I think that might be a bit extreme, as having the pieces riveted and supported in back should be sufficient, especially if you do fiber and bondo over top...

BTW, I have found a place to get up to 12" diameter PVC pipes. But they only sell 10' lengths, and the thickness gets pretty thick rather quickly... 8" pipe has wall thickness of .322" (about 8mm) which is starting to get pretty thick! 12" is right up to .406" (10.31mm)!

Superbe effort, ti-frère!

B.o.B.B. #008

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2015, 11:13 AM »
To be honest, I kinda like the seam on your back plate.  You could probably leave it as is and be juuust fine.  But that's my opinion, so take it as you will.

You could probably put some bondo over the seam and sand it down if you want to hide it though.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Rough the PVC up a bit with sandpaper. Then fiberglass it. I would do both sides with fiberglass and sand the outside smooth. Then bondo the outside.  Sand it smooth. Repeat bondo and sanding as needed.

Beleck Kase

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2015, 10:10 AM »
Hello all,

Work has slowed down a bit and now I'm having time to work on my build.  Here is some pics of the left guntlet, cod peice, but plate and chest plates.

I was wondering if its best to have extras on both guntlets?  I modded the left one but the right one is plain with no add on.  Should I put something to balance the look?

Thanks for your help.

Mercy

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2015, 12:02 PM »
You might want to put something on the other gaunt, but don't worry about balance. The asymmetry adds to the look IMO.

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Beleck Kase

« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for the input  Mercy.   I might leave it and add to it once I'm official.   It'll be a future projet.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2015, 03:13 PM »
W000t!!!! Balou's back!!!!  8)

Nice work!! Trying to stay ahead, eh? We shall see about dat!!!

B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Got some paint done the last few days.  Almost done, black wash done. Next clear coat, sand, brown wash, clear coat and final sanding.

Let me know what you think of the design on the chest plates?  Still wondering what I'm going to do on the back plate.

Armor wise, I still need to do the boot plates and finish the cod/butt plate.  Then I'll be moving to the soft parts, thats going to be a challenge.  The part that I'm strugling with right now is the girth belt.  I had made one but its way to large, I'll be making another one.

Later Vods...

« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Looks awesome Eric!! Real nice job!!! That metallic red really looks cool.

You doing a jetpack, or wearing a cape? If so, probably just solid red would be ok. If not, maybe carry you white stripe to the back  somehow...

B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2015, 08:01 AM »
You doing a jetpack, or wearing a cape?

No jet pack for now, I will probably go with some kind of white accent on the back.  Just don't know what or how its going to be.

Eric

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2015, 08:01 PM »
That's a great looking color scheme, really happy to see your back at this.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Beleck Kase

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Hello Vod's,

Got some more work done on the soft parts.  Velcro sewed to my vest and plates attached and I made a new ammo belt.  Found a good tuto on the Dented Helmet.
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/batninjas-ammo-pouch-tutorial-8797/

Here a re some pics.

I got some faux leather at the fabric store and made several strip 2.5 inch wide.

Then I sprayed some glue on the back side to help hold the strip folded while I was sewing them.

Here is a pics of the glue I used.

Here you can see the ammo pouch.  I used peices of 2x4 shaped the way I wanted and covered them with faux leather.  Also made a belt to hold the pouchs.

Added some details to the belt with eyelets.

And voila, I'm quite happy the way it turned out.

With the belt.

Here I'm looking for some input regarding the color of my flight suit.  Light blue or darker?

Light blue.

And here is a darker flight suit.

Any comment is more than welcome, especialy for the color.

Thanks all.

Eric

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I, myself, would go with the darker tone. Nice work overall on your kit!

CAT #1573
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2015, 08:01 PM »
I, myself, would go with the darker tone. Nice work overall on your kit!
Yup.  Definitely the darker one.

B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2015, 10:06 PM »
Hello,

Had a good evening working on my suit.  Decided to go darker with the flight suit, I did not like the way my light blue suit was looking with my vest.

Anyway, tonight I tailored my suit and added some pockets.  I did not excpect that the soft parts would take so long, but its turning out nice.  I think...

Before pics of untailored suit:

After the tailoring:

And with the pockets:

Still to be done:

Paint my back plate
Paint my hand plates
Finalise my girth belt
Ankle spats
Fix my gauntlets closing method
And make a holster for my blaster

Oufff!!! That seems a lot, but I'm getting there.

Later...

Eric

« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Niiiiiiiiiiice work,  vod!  Love the pockets.

You're really flying with this! Good job.

B.o.B.B. #008

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!