Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting To Obtain Armor - 7/19/2015 Update

• 26 Replies
Starting To Obtain Armor - 7/19/2015 Update
« on: Jun 07, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Greetings everyone!  I hope y'all are doing well.

In my journey to being a Mando at DragonCon, I found a vendor at Momocon under the name Darth Cleavage (yes, you read that right).  At of Thursday night, this was what I purchased:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/162579606/male-mandalorian-full-armor-set-multiple?ref=shop_home_active_3

The helmet I plan to buy will be this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/165030233/boba-fett-clone-wars-mandalorian-helmet?ref=shop_home_active_2

This is my color scheme (If the images don't appear, it's basically silver armor with a black flight suit and a red cape).

Now, I do have three questions:

1) Where can I get a black flight suit?
   2) Where can I get a black flak vest?
   3) Is there a tutorial for attaching armor using velcro and/or metal snaps?

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2015, 07:34 PM by SamuelFett » Logged
1) Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me."  -John 14:6

2) You may seek to find pleasure, but it is fleeting and always increases in cost.  Strive to find joy, for it is through joy that your spirit will be fulfilled.  -Mandalorian proverb

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93760.0

Mercy

Re: Starting To Obtain Armor/
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Amazon.com. Dickies makes black coveralls that do the job. They run large, as they are intended to go over other clothing.

Snaps... http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=7796.0

Oh, and welcome by the way...  :)

You know who I am. Even a monster such as you has nightmares.
Before you die...say my name...

Master Build Thread

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2015, 04:48 PM »
I've checked out Darth Cleavage's etsy store.  There's some nice stuff on there.  Too pricey for me, sadly.   :(

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Thanks for the help!  :D

1) Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me."  -John 14:6

2) You may seek to find pleasure, but it is fleeting and always increases in cost.  Strive to find joy, for it is through joy that your spirit will be fulfilled.  -Mandalorian proverb

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2015, 10:28 PM »
So I just went ahead and signed up to PhotoBucket in order to upload links to photos.

This is what my color scheme is.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/SamuelFett/2015.06.03.mlawing3.Mandolorian_zpsfgxfrm9a.png

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/SamuelFett/1stMandoColorScheme_zpsf18iopww.jpg

*As of 6/4/2015, I purchased my armor.
   **As of 6/9/2015, I purchased black coveralls.  On the same day, I found a store on Etsy who sells flak vests, kanas, capes, and neck seals, and after being in contact with this store and seeing its review history, I will be making my purchases from there probably next week, along with my helmet.

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Ya Jen from DarthCleavage does nice work, but all she does is assemble kits sold by other people. You should just go straight to the source, Mandalorian Arsenal. I highly recommend using vendors from this site first. They last on these boards for a reason.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Thank you for the heads up.  Jen (did not know that was her name) and I did talk at Momocon about what you stated, so I do have some awareness regarding her armor.  Plus, I did buy it already...so...too late lol.  I will head your advice and look at Mandalorian Arsenal next time.

Regarding vendors, could you please recommend some to me, please, so that I may attempt to PM them?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2015, 11:08 PM »

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kal Revik

• "You can run, but you will only die tired."
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2015, 03:59 PM »
The vendors here sell some great stuff so its best to check the boards and if there is a black flightsuit in your sights i would strongly recommend RedKapp...they have great flightsuits that many biker scouts use (myself included) but dickies work as well. I would say that making your armor isn't all too hard if you're in contact with your local clan, they should be able to help you.

OM #1135 Vhe'rang clan, NM/W. TX, SC
BM #149 Brigade: Spec Ops Recon
ALUMINATI #043/MIB #020/M.A.R.S #58/M.A.
#165/L.O.B. #50/O.O.P.S.! #39/Mandalorian Cavalry #7

Ramblin Trooper

• TK-8198
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Hey, nothin wrong with DarthCleavage.  Jen knows her stuff and won't steer you wrong.  You will pay a markup for things, especially if you have her paint or finish something.  So, yes, you can get the parts from the original maker for a better price.  But I'd say she's still a decent source for costume parts.  *shrug*

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Hey, nothin wrong with DarthCleavage.  Jen knows her stuff and won't steer you wrong.  You will pay a markup for things, especially if you have her paint or finish something.  So, yes, you can get the parts from the original maker for a better price.  But I'd say she's still a decent source for costume parts.  *shrug*

All true, its just the assembly and painting of an item is what makes it enjoyable to me, so account for that bias it my statements, haha.

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:07 AM »
All true, its just the assembly and painting of an item is what makes it enjoyable to me, so account for that bias it my statements, haha.

I do agree wholeheartedly.  It's just my living situating that just prevents from building...or practically doing...anything.  I have no doubt that one day I'll have a work startion to call my own and even learn how to build wonderous armor.

Re: Starting To Obtain Armor - 6/14/2015 Update
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:40 AM »
Hey everyone!  Update time!

I just got my coveralls today, and after trying them on, they feel great.  Here are the links to some pictures:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/SamuelFett/2015.06.13MandoArmorUpdate2-1_zps7dqe8w8d.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/SamuelFett/2015.06.13MandoArmorUpdate2-2_zpswmhzhwuc.jpg

Personally, I like it, and I think it applies very well.  While there are pockets in the chest area, the flak vest would cover them up.

There's only one issue I can see.  There are pockets and side holes right below the waistline, and neither the flak vest or utility belt will cover.  The link below shows what I mean:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/SamuelFett/2015.06.13MandoArmorUpdate2-3_zpsmpspvi7n.jpg

I'm thinking I can just sew those up, but I'm not sure if they are there for a purpose.

Other than that, they are great coveralls, and with it, I can now provide accurate measurements for the flak vest and kama now.   :)  Thoughts?

Ramblin Trooper

• TK-8198
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Yep.  Coveralls are meant to be worn *over* regular clothes when you're working.  So, there are pockets, and then there are holes that let you access the pockets of your regular clothes underneath. 

And yeah, most people just sew them shut.  *shrug*

Re: Starting To Obtain Armor - 7/4/15 Update
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Just an update in order to not risk necroposting.

I've got a lot of stuff ordered, including my sound amplifier :D. Once I obtain actual armor, I'll update again.  Happy July 4th everyone!

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #15 on: Jul 04, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Post the photos from photobucket here with the IMG tags in creating a post. Use the picture's url (ending with .jpg .png or whathave you) and insert it between the [ img ] [ /img ] (no spaces).

Seam rippers for pockets or sew them shut, up to you.

I like the plan you have except for doubling up loose fabric with a full cape and a kama. I personally feel as multiple loose fabrics make it less armor-y and more robe-y, especially when they are the same material and will blend together. Again up to you.

« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2015, 10:45 AM »
I understand.  Yea, I'm going to sew them shut, so no issues there.  And I just learned how to hyperlink photos the way you mentioned them, so I know how to do that.

Okay, I agree and disagree regarding the double fabrics.  I agree in that it would be a bit much, so I think I would prefer the kama the most. I disagree in that I do want a fabric around my neck, but I confirm that a cape may be a bit much.  Instead of a cape, would a scarf be acceptable?

Also, I plan on buying some boots with two weeks or so.  I did some research on the forums, and I think Chelsea boots would work great.  Can anyone speak from experience?  Are Chelsea boots comfortable to walk around in and good for applying armor?

Natan Vizsla

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2015, 12:06 PM »
The double fabrics is just a personal thing. Scarfs, half capes (shoulder to shoulder but ends at waist), and shoulder capes (like Boba's) would all be better in my opinion than a full cape in addition to a kama. It is your design and kit so do what you want. I'd say start with a kama to measurements you like and add the full cape, then trim that down until you like it whether it stays full, half, shoulder, or scarf.

I don't have Chelsea Boots but a ton of mercs do as do stormies. They will need to be broken in like all shoes and since we do have day long troops inserts won't hurt.

Re: Starting To Obtain Armor - 7/11/15 Update
« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2015, 10:48 AM »
A few minor updates

1) Vest being shipped  ;)

2) Weapon being shipped  ;)

3) I may or may not have found an addition I can make.  At DragonCon 2013, I bought an UltraSaber lightsaber pictured here:

It finally broke after two years, beyond repair.  I thought, why not attach it to my belt and have it as a trophy?  Would this be acceptable?

Ra'lu Ger

• Ak'aan Kadala
Re: Starting To Obtain Armor - 7/11/15 Update
« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:53 AM »
A few minor updates

1) Vest being shipped  ;)

2) Weapon being shipped  ;)

3) I may or may not have found an addition I can make.  At DragonCon 2013, I bought an UltraSaber lightsaber pictured here:

It finally broke after two years, beyond repair.  I thought, why not attach it to my belt and have it as a trophy?  Would this be acceptable?

I believe the CRLs state  that as a trophy/tool they're acceptable. It's as a functional bladed lightsaber that they're only allowed with certain canon builds.

Buy'ce WIP

MAJIC: 151
VABS: 14
-John
« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2015, 02:43 AM »
protip: use imgur, or a site that allows images to be hosted indefinitely, and doesn't require signing up. if there's one thing I hate, it's seeing a square where the pic used to be, or a "sign up now to view these images"

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2015, 02:46 AM »
protip: use imgur, or a site that allows images to be hosted indefinitely, and doesn't require signing up. if there's one thing I hate, it's seeing a square where the pic used to be, or a "sign up now to view these images"

What are you referring to? The image of his broke saber is fine for me.

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2015, 08:46 AM »
no, I'm referring more to other posts with blank boxes or the like, his is fine, but with sites like flickr and photobucket, it seems to be a common phenomenon

Natan Vizsla

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Why bring it up then?

On to the saber, Ra'lu is correct they can be used as trophies or tools per the CRLs. The app team prefers them to be dirty and dinged up though. Usually if you are going to have a single saber on your kit it looks weird, a force hunter wouldn't have only one saber as a trophy.

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2015, 09:15 PM »
prevention is better than cure, my friend

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!