Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armour Planning & WIP for 2 of us

• 491 Replies

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Armour Planning & WIP for 2 of us
« Reply #420 on: May 08, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Well, a little update on things...

Had a wonderful time trooping at Legoland Windsor's Star Wars Weekend...

And, along with the Rebel Legion, Joker Squad & Sentinel Squad helped raise 15,000 for a children's hospice.

But sore spots from wearing my kit all day prompted me to make the following modifications.

First, knee attachment...

These things were chafing my knees after a long day. So I did some research and found a thread on the Dented Helmet that was showing different attachment methods. 

So now, I've put a strip of industrial Velcro along the inside of the knee, loosened off the elastic strapping and moved it up so it's more in-line with the top of the knee.

Seems more comfortable - the snap still acts as a locator (no twisted knees!), the Velcro both holds the knee in place and acts as padding, and the strapping, not only sits higher, so it's not pulling the plate downwards towards the back of my knee joint but is much easier to deal with as it simply doesn't have to be so tight.

Ultimately, I'm thinking of taking the next step and building some fibreglass knees which will be lighter, stronger and roomier.

Secondly, I took the Dremel to my left gauntlet.

It's been a constant niggle just around my wrist bone since the wrist section is absolutely 100% exactly the size of my wrist and no more...

So I gritted my teeth, and shaved a couple of hollows into the Foamex...

Aaaah...sweet relief!

And finally, some cool news, my first International order...

Three read-to-troop Kal Daggers heading off to our Canadian brethren!

Really enjoying working with new materials - silicone & resin (Thanks Paul & Dom!) it's firing off all manner of ideas for upgrades and opportunities for me to share around more of the things I've made through the Trading Station.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 09:23 AM by Syko Voss » Logged
« Reply #421 on: May 08, 2017, 11:11 PM »
hey, do you mind if I use your gauntlet images on page 25? I've been looking for some, as my photoshop skills aren't the best.

Also, both of your kits look incredible!

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #422 on: May 09, 2017, 04:20 AM »
Thanks levvan,

and no, not a problem at all - that's why I posted them.

Would love to see how they turn out!

« Reply #423 on: May 15, 2017, 11:58 PM »
I've been boasting about you vod  :D all the cali noobs are probably going to start following you now  :)

"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Syko Voss

« Reply #424 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Thanks Laaran!  Great to have you aboard - if you have any questions, please fire away and check out the table of contents of this WIP  - there may be links to some tips that can help.

Oh, and if you want to support me, check out Syko's Props on the Trading Station - I'm happy to ship internationally. It'd be great to see more peeps rocking the Kal in the USA.

Little update from me - just finished work on game #3 and had a few days vacation.  So I decided to try out a technique I haven't done before - making a pepakura helmet.  I'm using the Rafal Works Helmet Templates which seem to be the most screen-accurate (down to the assymetry) templates for a canon Boba Fett helmet.

The intention - to make myself and Jayne, lighter resin & fibreglass helmets that are more in proportion, and, allow me to take a shot at casting a canon Boba helmet too, because, well, making one of those would be cool.

Progress, so far...

Print everything out on 200gsm paper and paste with PVA to 2mm pasteboard...

Cut all the bazillion pieces out...

...which left me with sore hands for two days after!

Glue together using CA glue...

And finally paint with resin...

L]

Currently in-hand, taking a variety of rasps, files and filler to it to kick it into shape.
The intention - to create a good set of masters from which I can then create a mould and cast a number of helmets from.

More pics as I make more progress!

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017, 04:29 AM by Syko Voss » Logged

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #425 on: May 16, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Magnets on the gaunts is such a good Idea!!! Great work Vod :)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2017, 01:00 AM »
Looking great on the new scratch build.!

QMU#084

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2017, 08:28 AM »
nice to see you got round to experimenting  with casting, those kal daggers look great. still think you could make a killing if you could do casts of your 1313 carbine or a version of it. as always your an inspiration mate, well done.

Syko Voss

« Reply #428 on: May 17, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Thanks guys!

Helmet is progressing pretty well - learned a few things about pasteboard v Sintra/Foamex:

Pasteboard is cheaper, of course, and has the advantage that it can be bent and glued in place with superglue without all of that messing around with a heat gun.

Downsides:
When making small cuts/adjustments, the material tends to crumble and split
When aggressively sanding because resin only penetrates so far it's possible to rip into the board.  So I've gotten into the rhythm of sanding, painting on some resin to the busted up board and then going back and re-sanding.

But pleasantly happy with progress - first time I've sculpted a dome but trusting in my tools and sanding from every possible angle, it's not as hard as I'd feared - though I certainly wouldn't want to be starting a new kit from scratch this way without all that I've learned over the course of this past couple of years.

An interesting thing about the new Boba-proportioned helmet is that it has a deeper dome than our skate helmet builds - which means our eyeline is naturally in-line with the horizontal of the T-visor.  Our original builds are fine but both of us have found we tend to tilt our heads forwards to look through the T.

As goes Trading Station stuff - my plan is to steadily expand range on the Trading Station so I can afford tools (including a 3D printer) to ultimately build a 1313 carbine kit.  At the moment, I'd have to cut it into pieces to cast it as there are lots of undercuts and layers in the original.  So if I can build one that's designed to be cast and assembled...we'll be rocking (and likely, I'll have a lighter version to lug around!)

Laters, guys!  Have a good one!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #429 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Looking at scratchbuilding one myself! I'll be keeping an eye on this as usual.

Syko Voss

« Reply #430 on: May 23, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Here's an update on the scratchbuild...

Some serious filler and file work got me to here...

Which I then sanded back down again and painted a second coat of resin over the top...

The second coat of resin was to re-saturate the exposed areas of pasteboard where the sanding had taken away the original top-layer. 

Having a love-hate relationship with pasteboard - small splits appearing, etc.  But finding a bit of CA glue and a quick spray with accelerant cures most of those problems...

But, the cleanest set of key slots I've ever cut - I used some 1mm thick card and that was definitely easier than my previous attempts in Sintra/Foamex...

I think if I ever do this again, I'll use 2mm pasteboard for a lot of the build, but certainly keyslots and cheeks/mandibles I'll use 1mm - much, much easier to shape manually than the 2mm board and since I'll be moulding and casting from here, I don't need to worry about structural integrity so much.

Then it was another round of primer...getting closer...

But still beset by little places where the top surface of the board gets sanded back...

So up to today and another, smaller application of filler and some gentle sanding to do...

And looking at the overall shape, I've noticed that the part of the helmet's base behind the ear caps comes in a little too much, meaning that the sides that the ear caps will sit on isn't flat.  So, because I'm moulding, I've put in a piece of wood to just push the sides out to correct the issue.

I think this issue arose mostly because the RafalFett template's inner forms extend below the height of the helmet, making it easy to drift a little.  But, aside from that tiny tweak, everything seems to be going pretty good.

Birthday last week and my gift from Jayne (Nikjay) was all the resin and other materials I'll need to get at least 3 castings done - going to go coldcast aluminium, reinforced with a mix of fibre glass strands & carbon fibre particles.

As I mentioned before, I intend to upgrade both our helmets to something more canon and I really want to make a ROTJ Boba helmet for the shelf. 

Still musing on how to make the rangefinder stalks.  Might have to make a purchase or three, but, as ever, would really much prefer to learn how to cut 6.8mm aluminium myself!

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 09:17 AM by Syko Voss » Logged

Syko Voss

« Reply #431 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:55 PM »
More progress....

The brow triangles proved more difficult than I thought they would.

I opted to cut the triangles all the way through the helmet so I could get flat files on the edges.  The problem of getting a flat surface inside the indents was the thing that took most attempts. 

First attempt was to merely backfill with filler - that failed (too lumpy), after that, laying in a triangles of paper and coating with resin (they wilted), then laying in a triangles of card and coating with resin (too rough) until finally I cut out two triangles of plastic, laid them in and finally I was done.

I spent some time adding flat platforms to the sides of the helmets for the earcaps - I cut a single piece of thin card for those and underlaid them with multiple thin layers of paper and thin card to compensate for shape of the helmet.  It worked surprisingly well in the end and only required a layer of resin, a bit of sanding and some filler to finish them both off.

I decided to sharpen up the edges of the brow with a bit of filler - successive rounds of sanding had gradually smoothed away the edge...

Oh, and the mustard colour?  That's filler primer - I've discovered Autotek here in the UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autotek-AT000FP500-500ml-Filler-Primer/dp/B004ZJIM8O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496681173&sr=8-2&keywords=filler+primer) They do a good regular primer and a filler primer - approximately 5-6GBP for 500ml - really good stuff.

So finally, after much fiddling, I got all the parts (except for the rangefinder topper which I still need to make) built, primed and ready...

Now I'm into the process of building moulds for everything...

Simple flat moulds for the larger parts.

But due to an undercut on the right ear top layer I'm having to make a 2-part mould, as I am with the rangefinder stalk:

The reason I'm making the rangefinder stalk 2-part is that I intend to cold cast it in aluminium, strengthening it with an aluminium tube down which, if all goes to plan, I'll be able to run wires.

Just starting work on prepping the helmet too - I've put plasticine behind the keyhole slots but, because I really don't fancy the prospect of having to cut them out again, I've pushed back the plasticine so that *hopefully* I can capture the depth of the keyholes and all I have to do is then cut off the extrusions on the inside of the helmet.

(Update - 17 July 2017 - this worked an absolute treat - exactly as I'd hoped - all I had to do was sand the keyslots from the inside and the keyslots were revealed - 30 seconds with a needle file was all that was needed after casting to finish up the slots!)

Fingers-crossed.  Hopefully in the coming weekend I'll be able to start moulding the helmet itself.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 09:14 AM by Syko Voss » Logged

Syko Voss

« Reply #432 on: Jun 21, 2017, 04:30 AM »
So, moulding began with me securing the helmet to a board.

I made a card tube that fit inside the helmet and lifted it off the board and then filled around it with plasticine level to the edges of the helmet so that my mould would have an inside lip.

I also created a card wall around the outside to contain the silicone...

Many, many layers of silicone later I had my mould...(here's some in-progress shots before I'd added all the keys)

...a bit lumpy, but I've been repurposing all the leftover bits of silicone left in cups, cutting it up with scissors (I've just invested in a 10 hand meat grinder that does a better job of turning silicone into little chunks)

I also used an egg tray for making my mould keys, repurposing silicone scraps and a small amount of liquid silicone...

That done, I built a 'mohawk' from used egg tray plastic and aluminium tape and covered everything with mould release and then after that had dried, slathered the whole lot with PVA glue (a good thick coating)

Then, a very stinky weekend, outside, covered head-to-toe, wearing a respirator fibreglassing...

Trickiest part was covering over the mould keys (maybe should've made them a little smaller) but I eventually figured a technique of using long, thin strips of matting and criss-crossing them over the keys rather than trying to lay squares over them...

Moment of truth came when the whole lot had cured and I'm pleased to say it demoulded pretty easily..

Finally, 10 x 8mm bolts with wingnuts to keep everything in place...

And I'm pleased to say my first rotocast was successful - the mould has no bubbles or defects and that reflects in the casting...

I now have one master set of everything to make a screen-accurate (dentless) Boba helmet except for the rangefinder tops which I just need to finish sculpting and moulding.

Did take the opportunity of doing this, my first-ever rotocast of experimenting with ways of reinforcing - I rotocast 2 layers of resin and the third layer I created a mix of resin, fibreglass strands and fillite and brushed that around the mould.

While that worked as a method of getting a composite into the helmet, I have learned a lesson - do this in a few batches - the resin kicks so quickly that it's impossible to get full coverage across the whole inside of the helmet in time.

I followed up with 2 more rotocast layers of resin - pleased that the outside looks 100% on the money, but the inside, due to the reinforcement not being even enough meant that the interior isn't as even as I'd like it to be...

Not complaining, though - everything in this long process worked out perfectly - I just need to get a few opinions/advice to help me work out this final finishing/reinforcing step and then it's new buckets for me and Mrs P!

Would be interested how other folks reinforce their buckets - I'm using polyurethane casting resin throughout and the reinforcing layer on the next helmet I'm going to do in stages using a mix of resin, fibreglass strands and carbon fibre powder.

Does anyone use polyester resin + fibreglass for their helmets, is it possible to reinforce a polyurethane rotocast with polyester resin + fibreglass without it delaminating/there being any reaction between the two types of materials...

And finally, if you do use polyester resin for your helmets - how do you deal with the smell?  I've had to keep the mould out of the house since I created the fibreglass shell since it still stinks and I don't fancy trooping with my head inside an enclosed bucket that stinks like that!

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 09:10 AM by Syko Voss » Logged

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #433 on: Jun 21, 2017, 05:44 AM »
You have been busy :o

Good work, for the PU resin buckets I have I believe they are just straight PU. But its multiple layers as must be at least 8mm. I shall try to remember to measure tonight.

Vassk (from Poland) does cast helmets. May be worth shooting him a message about it

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #434 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:46 PM »
My first thought is WHAT IS THAT PINK MONSTROSITY AND WHO MADE THAT!! Second observation revealed it to be an inside out mold  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Great work as always brother.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!