Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ideas for electronics?

• 3 Replies

Aos4life

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Ideas for electronics?
« on: Jun 21, 2015, 05:57 PM »
I'm looking for ideas on electronics I can implement into my kit. I'd rather build than buy simply because I want it to be unique. I have 3 different Arduinos, an RPi2, and a bunch of parts I can use with them. So if you have any ideas, I'd love to take a shot at them. Even if they're a little out there, let me hear it.

Ace Hav'k
MMCC OM# 1210
Black Mountain Guard Clan #9

rjm544

Re: Ideas for electronics?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Are you just looking for uses for your toys? Like a blank slate brainstorm?

I have a Raspberry Pi that I've been toying with lately. I took the NoIR camera and a ring of IR LED's and turned it into a tiny night vision camera. I coupled that with a 16000mAh portable phone charger and a touchscreen, and now it's self contained and portable. Rough testing makes it look Linn tree it should last at least a few hours.

I'm trying to figure out where to put everything now, I've been looking into maybe having one eye covered by a Google glass type screen that is hooked up while the camera sits on my helmet somewhere. A few IT LED rings would provide the invisible light and suddenly that #6 welding visor would let me see in the dark.

I'm still trying to find a solution. It's possible I could make a gauntlet based screen or a handheld tool or some electro binocs but honestly in helmet night vision would be A, super functional for any events past 7 PM and B, incredibly awesome.

Aos4life

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:45 AM »
Awesome idea. I had thought about using the cinema glasses, the kind where you put a movie on an SD card and it looks like you're watching a big screen, and hacking them a bit to where I could show a sort of HUD on them when paired with a camera.

But to answer your questions, yea, pretty much. I enjoy tinkering with that stuff and rather than drop hundreds on simple premade electronics, why not have fun with it and make my own to fit my kit?

Ace Hav'k
MMCC OM# 1210
Black Mountain Guard Clan #9

rjm544

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Awesome idea. I had thought about using the cinema glasses, the kind where you put a movie on an SD card and it looks like you're watching a big screen, and hacking them a bit to where I could show a sort of HUD on them when paired with a camera.

That's the kind of thing I was looking into. There are some of those that accept HDMI input like you would get from a Pi so that's what I've been focusing I mostly. I just need to find a pair that is close enough to the face to fit I the helmet and cheap enough to not feel bad about cutting in half.

Another, slightly less ambitious, but still fairly neat idea I had was a night vision/electronic scope on a sniper rifle or display for a rocket launcher type heavy weapon. This time the camera would be mounted more or less in line with the screen except perhaps in the rocket launcher's case.

Still looking into this.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!