Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jax Can'gal first WIP - picture heavy

• 12 Replies

Blackdugal

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
Jax Can'gal first WIP - picture heavy
« on: Jun 21, 2015, 07:41 PM »
It's been a long time coming since last fall when I decided to put together a Kit and I've decided to buckle down and get my kit done. 

Here are the soft parts that I've put together.  I constructed the vest out of two leather jackets I got at goodwill, I got the jump suit from a thrift store, and boots at a western store.  I still have to sew on the bells to the shoulder which I will be doing this next week.

Front soft parts:

Back soft parts:

Chest armor on vest:

Thanks for any thoughts and directions.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Jax Can'gal first WIP - picture heavy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I think your armor may be a bit wide.  It looks like you would have trouble with mobility.  Additionally, the collar needs to be moved up.  It's supposed to be almost choking you.  Moving it up, and consequently adjusting your other plates up a bit to compensate, might help with the appearance of your ab plate being too low.  I don't know that it is, but the ab plate ideally is supposed to end around your navel, and in these pics look to low.

That being said, this is a great start, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Zerxus Dral

• Leader of merriment
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2015, 08:01 PM »
The soft parts look fine, the plates are definitely a little big. You could try trimming them down, or you could go to the next nearest armor party and get some help in resizing them. If you do it yourself I would definitely reccomend sending pictures of yourself with the templates taped to you that you are going to use for the resize. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2015, 02:20 PM »
I'll add that those back pockets should be seam ripped off. Keep it up.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Vest looks awesome, glad I'm not the only one who murdered a jacket or two in my pursuit of vest making.

Make sure the chest plates are as high as they can go - generally at the point just not choking you seems to be the best way of describing it.

And as mentioned the flightsuit pockets will need to come off. However, only if you are not planning on having a kama. If you are then you can leave them as they'll not be visible underneath it.

The ab plate width looks right, just the collar which seems far to wide to me. Could do with a good inch out of the centre so it sits closer to your neck (if you don't want to cut new plating I will add that segmenting the collar plate is acceptable) and then just tapering the chest plates in at the sides to match the new width of the collar.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Blackdugal

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. 

Ok, the plates are from the Boba Fett download I got from here somewhere and used my height of 6'.  So I went back today and printed off the next size down which is 5'9" and here are the paper templates cut out and taped on the vest.  The vest hits right at mid navel so when you look at the ab plate it is about 1 1/2" above my navel.  Also from the previous comments I think the back plate I already have cut out may be too big for me so I added a picture of the template cut out as well for food for thought.

I moved the neck plate up higher this time.

Chest:

Back:

Zerxus Dral

• Leader of merriment
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Those templates are much better man

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2015, 01:18 AM »
Pull the backplate up an inch or so and they are a big improvement.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Blackdugal

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Ok here are the resized plates.  I know they need to be remolded but before I do that I just wanted to make sure that the size based on the templates works or if I need to trim them a little bit more.

Blackdugal

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Ok I need some help here.  I'm having some gapping problems with how my back plate sits on my back at the shoulder blades.  Is the gap at my shoulder blades too much or is it ok?  And if it is too much any advise on how to bend the sentra to make it fit better.

Left SB:

Right SB:

Here is how the collar is also matching up with the back plate.  I know that the collar needs to be trimmed down to match up with the back plate and I'm hoping that adjusting the above might fix this. 

Left Shoulder:

Right Shoulder:

Here is a picture of the back straight on:

Thanks for the help.

Zerxus Dral

• Leader of merriment
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2015, 12:40 PM »
It looks to me like the back plate is angled a little bit in your pictures. If it is straightening it up should elivate any problems there are. If it is straight try heating up the back plate and collar and getting them to sit evenly and then trim them. If either of those two options seem to be too complicated I would suggest holding off on it until the next armor party, or try bribing someone close by with food to get their help. Keep going man your progress looks good.

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:15 PM »
The best way to shape a backplate is to have a good 2-3 other people there doing the shaping whilst you stand there and enjoy the heat. Though one extra person does in a pinch.  There've been some folk that've done it themselves of course, but the best option is to have someone else take care of it for you, they'll be able to see what's going on with the shaping and that's invaluable.

Of course you could make a duct tape dummy of yourself and shape it to that as well.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Blackdugal

« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Ok it has been a month since I last posted but I have been working hard on my armor but especially my wife's.  I've got mine fully painted and now what is left is to black wash it, which I will be doing this week.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!